Feuer's Travels (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Bird, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    Bizarro World

Feuer to Arsenal?!? Have I slipped to Bizarro World. Man, if Arsene Wegner is seven remotely considering this possibility I wish he would take a look at Zach Thornton. I think Zach would make him very happy.

2. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know how many teams Ian has been with since he left MLS. By "been with", I am referring to teams he at least trained with. Must be close to 10.

For a GK that I, personally, did not think was that good, at least in MLS, it is pretty amazing the number of teams, including premiership teams (and Arsenal, at that!) in England that are willing to bring him in. Am I underestimating his talent or overestimating the overall GK talent pool in England, or somewhat of both?

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Bizarro World

Only if Zach had EU citizenship.

Here's what Ian's role would be with Arsenal (at best.) If Seaman has to miss a game due to suspension, or a minor injury, Ian will be on the bench.

If Seaman has a serious injury, they'll buy someone.

And Ian will gladly and quietly cash his checks.

4. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QPR could use him....

ok, ok...

5. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If you're going to search MLS for keepers, I'd say anyone in their right mind would take howard over Thornton.

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
  7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    you are much, much too kind. As a Rev fan I can tell you, we have 30-50 better goal keepers. WE probably have guys in college who are better.No MLS team would take him when he was put on wavers in MLS. He may be a very nice guy, but if you haven't seen, trust me, he blows.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AFter watching Howard make that incredible save on Eddie Pope's header last Sunday, I would have to say (for what it's worth - probably nothing) that Tim is the #1 keeper in MLS right now. He needs a bit of experience, but his save-making ability is unmatched in MLS, and I have to belive that his abilities (not necessary his level of play) are superior to a good number of EPL goalkeepers.

10. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
  11. rrobz

rrobz Member

Feb 5, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
  12. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    This is so unbelievable. I mean when Ian was here with the Rapids he had to be one of the worst MLS goalies, now he is signing with Arsenal?!?!

Who's next? Ted Eck to Man U?

13. rrobz

rrobz Member

Feb 5, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Looks like this puppy has been put to bed - Arsenal signs Shabaan to a long term deal:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/m/world/news/reuters/20020830/reu-shaaban.html

14. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I don't think it's particularly unbelievable. Arsenal are looking for third-choice cover, a position where the chances of playing in the first team are slim to none. Feuer, given his track record over the last few seasons, is a 'keeper who is both available and willing to get paid for playing once in a blue moon.

Anyway, as someone else points out, it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Expect to see Feuer playing for a Conference team next :)

15. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    It's unbelievable. Have you ever seen the guy play? There must be 6 goalies in the A league that are better. Many MLS teams have 2 keepers that are better. He came to my practice for a high school team, he is a very nice guy. He just can't keep soccer balls out of a goal. That this is one of the few Americans with a shot at EPL playing time is just astounding.