Festival of Football attempts the biggest match

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by sbahnhof, May 15, 2019.

1. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Planned in Lyon during the Women's World Cup:

[​IMG]

"We will play a regular game of 11-a side football on a full size pitch. However, the game only ends when teams run out of substitutes. To be counted, every player needs to play at least 10 minutes and touch the ball at least once. The game runs non-stop – including through the night. If 3500 players join us in France [2019], we estimate the game will last about 5-6 days."

It's crazy, it can't work! Or can it? The current world record is 2,357 players in a 4-day game in Santiago de Chile in 2016.

And the festival organizers, Equal Playing Field, have broken a couple of records before.
    Some well-known women's footballers trekked to Kilimanjaro to play the world's highest-altitude match...

...and then the lowest-altitude match, at the Dead Sea in Jordan. The Pakistan captain Hajra Khan "scored the winning goal despite having a broken toe from parading around the Seven Pillars of Wisdom".

[​IMG] The long game in Lyon is part of several events at the Festival of Football, which runs during the World Cup quarter-finals, from 27 June - 1 July 2019.

Will it work? Can it be done...?
    More info is on https://footballnsw.com.au/2019/01/21/festival-of-football-to-headline-in-france/ and on https://www.festivaloffootball.org/about (Archived)

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I arrive in Lyon on July 1, currently planned as the last day of the "game." Maybe I can find an old folks team that's participating.

3. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is awesome. I want to know the final score at the end, ha.

4. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Hmm... 2-1 to the... blue team
    (Is there a blue team?)

@Bauser, sorry for quoting your "mountain to climb" (Barça v LSK) out of context. I was trying to show that my "KILIMANJARO" comment wasn't totally mad. They really played football there.

5. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    If the game's still going, you can see it at Olympique Lyon's youth academy:

The thing that might reduce the numbers is the player registration fee, €45 - it's pretty steep. It looks like any player gets a bunch of good stuff for the money, and AFAIK the Equal Playing Field is a non-profit charity and an honourable cause (originally founded in Papua New Guinea to prevent violence against women).

But, over 3,000 players, on the field day and night...? So many things need to go right. :eek:

soccernutter repped this.
  6. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    #6 sbahnhof, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    They beat some kind of record, anyway, 5-a-side...

In the end, it was 807 players playing for 68 hours, three days, to beat the 5x5 football record. And in some of the hottest weather in years. But they didn't play the full-size game that they'd really wanted, for which the Chilean record is still standing.

- http://beyond90.com.au/community-football/world-records-broken-by-equal-playing-field/ (Archived)

Final score: Red Team 400 - 369 Blue Team

Also at the match was Optus Sport Australia, with ex-players Alicia Ferguson and Moya Dodd, and the broadcaster Niav Owens

Other videos - by Equal Playing Field, and Euronews in French

jnielsen and blissett repped this.