Fernando Clavijo 1956-2019

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Clint Eastwood, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #1 Clint Eastwood, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Its with a heavy heart that I relay to the USMNT community that Fernando Clavijo has passed. 61 caps and a member of the US soccer hall of fame. Technical Director and architect of the FCD team that recently won a USOC and SS. He will be greatly missed.

Having acquired U.S. citizenship in 1987, Clavijo debuted for the United States on Nov. 21, 1990, against the Soviet Union in Port of Spain, Trinidad. The veteran defender became a mainstay on the MNT the next four years, helping the USA to the inaugural Concacaf Gold Cup title in 1991 before making the 22-man roster for the 1994 FIFA World Cup on home soil. The oldest player on the squad at age 38, Clavijo featured at left back in three matches during the tournament, including the historic 2-1 victory against Colombia on June 22 at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif. The defender ended his five-year international career with 61 caps. Owing to his indoor soccer experience, Clavijo also played for the USA at the 1992 FIFA Futsal World Cup, helping the squad to a runner-up finish in Hong Kong.

Marko72, TCS35, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  2. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigi and Fernando in such short order! Well done, Fernando. RIP.

Marko72 repped this.
  3. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to believe he's died... I am remember that world cup vividly..... The work he did with FCD was first class. RIP, Fernando.

Marko72 and TimB4Last repped this.
  4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    He was a fine player and a good guy. A defender with skill-who ever heard of a yank like that in those days! RIP

Marko72 and TimB4Last repped this.
  5. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I like this story from @bshredder so much I'm going to post it here.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This is a really nice tribute to Fernando that was written about a year ago.