Fernando Arce Jr. at FC Juarez

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 31, 2012.

1. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering why?

I know his dad is a former El Tri player but what makes him any different than the other Americans of Mexican decent?

2. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Really? You don't see how someone playing for our senior NT whose dad was capped 50 times for Mexico would be an interesting storyline that would get a lot of attention? You don't see how that's different from the other Mexican-Americans who will have to choose between the U.S. and Mexico?

I'm not sure what else to say..

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His dad is a former El Tri player ...

4. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he would never accept a camp let a lone play tournaments with the US, and take pics with the US flag. But maybe he grew up here in the US or maybe his mother is American?

5. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is just because his dad was an El Tri player doesn't mean he isn't America.

Yea its a cool story but we shouldn't be surprised as he is probably close with Arriola, Guido and the other guys who grew up in Chula Vista. American as apple pie so to speak.

6. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    In no way did I imply he wasn't American. I have no idea what you're even talking about right now, feels like you either totally misinterpreted what I meant, or are trying to unnecessarily start something.

7. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I thought his did in his prime had a great work ethic and was quality on the ball. I hear Arce Jr has very similar quality as his dad but with more size. Arce sr (5'7) Jr (5'11)! Wouldn't surprise me if he started for the u20s at the WC

8. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea that came off wrong, my bad.

What I meant was that this shouldn't be a surprise as he was born in the US and probably has friends who play for us as well. Also, this might be the start of a trend and not necessarily surprising.

Does that make sense?

9. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I mean, I'm not surprised or anything. I don't know the guy but I imagine he identifies as American since he's representing us, but I certainly think it's worthy of the title of "Exception" in the sense that it is a deeper situation than most of our Mexican-Americans, since his dad played for Mexico.

Winoman and mike4066 repped this.
  10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Mathieu Valbuena of Mexico.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ASN profile/interview:

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/fernando-arce-jr-17-chooses-u-s-over-mexico

In case you're wondering whether Arce Jr. struggled with the decision to represent the United States instead of Mexico—he didn't.

“From the start, I said that whoever called me first I would join that team forever,” Arce Jr. said. “The U.S. called me first and showed a lot of interest in me so the U.S. will be my national team."

12. dethfire

dethfire Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Recruitment is so big these days. I hope USS is taking a page from college sports who pretty much wrote the book on recruitment strategy.

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe some day we will see a kid with a Mexican hat, a Polish hat and a USA hat on ESPN when he/she reveals who to represent at the National team level.

14. superm

superm Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Only thing about this is that when they interviewed him, they asked him about Mexico. He said they never contacted him and when they went on to ask if he would consider Mexico in the future if they ever called him and he said he did not know.

Many Mexican players just do it because they want to play on a NT, like Corona, Castillo and Torres, who either played for mexico in youth teams or actual senior NT, but just never played a game that was official, and later switched because they weren't being called up.

Who knows, if this guy turns out good and Mexico sees him and decides to call him, he might switch knowing his family history with his Dad.

15. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Didn't Castillo spurn Sven for a qualifier? Corona played for the US about a week after joining Mexico in the Pan Am games too IIRC

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know about that. It seems like he is a kid who is bitter that he was overlooked by Mexico. It would be one thing if no one ever heard of him, but he debuted with the Xolos first team in the league before the age of 18 and his father is a rather recent Mexican International. Mexico definitely knows about him. They just never called him in and I really doubt he's going to want to play for them after being snubbed. They also probably will only have another few months to call him in because he probably has a good chance of being on the US U-20 WCQ team and then he will be cap-tied if he plays.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I hope the guy in the Polish hat is Robert Lewandowski ... oh, you're saying that boat has sailed?

Darn, darn, darn.

18. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #69 Testudo, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    493116850671058944 is not a valid tweet id

Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kim Tate did an interview:

http://soccerly.com/article/kimtate/fernando-arce-jr-paving-a-path-in-two-countries

"My dad was very happy about the call up," he recalls, noting they speak on the phone or by text message every day. "He wants me to make the most of my opportunities and have a big career, but also to let things happen according to my timing."

"I want to play in the World Cup, in the Olympics, the Gold Cup, and Copa America," he says. "I need to keep working hard to prove to Coach Farias that I deserve first team minutes. I want to make my father proud."

Testudo, Winoman, dannd23 and 1 other person repped this.
  21. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arce was credited with his 2nd own goal in 3 starts during the 2014 Apertura with the Club Tijuana U-20s on Friday.

During the 2014 Clausura he made a 10 minute substitute appearance in the Liga MX and played 14 games (13 starts) with the Club Tijuana U-20s. In his time with the Club Tiuana U-20s he scored a goal and picked up 4 yellow cards.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  22. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet I know what he is working on in practice this week.

23. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USAMEX10 repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011