Feilhaber

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by SamsArmySam, Jul 7, 2012.

1. illusionista

illusionista Red Card

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Sep 1, 2017
    Bwahahahahahaha...

2. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Well, don’t disappear during the World Cup, I want to read your thoughts next year on this thread.

3. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I've been around for quite awhile, and I'll continue to be around for awhile longer. You really don't know me at all.

You obviously don't pay very close attention...and btw, the last time I checked I'd put CONCACAF above Oceania, Africa and Asia. My rationale would be to look at how many teams from each Federation made it to the round of 16 in the last 3 World Cups. You really think CONCACAF is weaker than Oceania?

And I'm done with this back and forth, it's already gone on too long.

4. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Marcello Lippi to start.

The idiot who managed France.

5. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    No way concacaf is stronger than Africa, Asia maybe.

6. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BS.

Without looking it up, I'll bet CONCACAF has a better overall WC record than Asia and Oceania, and a better one the past 2-3 WCs than Africa.

7. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been here since 2001, when I'm guessing you were in grade school...

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  8. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    You mean won the World Cup in part by ditching Cantona and Ginola?

9. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    There are plenty of coaches who have done things like this.

Heck practically very Brasilian coach from the 80's on and Argy coaches. Icardi hasn't been called up until this time (and still hasn't played) cause of stealing Maxi Lopez's wife, Wanda.

Lippi shipped out Pippo for boinking his daughter! He left Panucci off the 2006 squad due to a personal beef, even though he was short in the back and when Nesta got hurt he was screweled. Of course, ironically, that meant he had to play Matrix who ended up being instrumental in the Final. His luck held there!

A couple of idiot Italian coaches didn't bring Baggio.

The list goes on and on.

Take a look at a Dunga Brasil roster!

deuteronomy and adam tash repped this.
  10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah people who think callups and roster inclusion on any team is an objective process are really clueless....it bothers me when people dont think a certain player isnt worthy just because a certain coach doesnt include that player....as if coaches pick players on god's instructions and not their own unique biases/reasons.

22SteveD, COMtnGuy and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  11. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Yeah dude, it seems pretty routine. I wasn't asking for names, just replying to that "idiot who managed France" remark. As a fan, I usually want teams to make way for ballers.
    [​IMG]
    But in the case of the '98 World Cup cycle, ditching Catona (and probably Ginola too) was the right move.

HartwickFan repped this.
  12. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    And I get that you can probably be an idiot and win a World Cup somehow. With France's mercurial talent, especially. I give Jacquet credit for addition by subtraction for '98.

adam tash repped this.
  13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's the key difference. France was in position to leave off talent with their options in 98. In 2014-2017, the US was not. The best evidence being that Brad Davis and Graham Zusi were starting in the World Cup.

CU soccer repped this.
  14. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    100% agree.

If you can't find a way to get along with and utilize Landon Donovan... a supremely team-oriented guy and a swiss army knife of a player... you are the problem.

HScoach13 and CU soccer repped this.
  15. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1615 COMtnGuy, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    I posted some stuff long ago, but slightly different then what you stated here. Whatever it was that was happening, caused Beckerman and Bradley to both go after him in defense of yet another player and was more then "pushing/ handbags". Supposedly punches were thrown etc. Given what I know of Beckerman and practices, we know it simply wasn't going too hard (of which Beckerman was constantly accused of himself).

16. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Shaking head, sorry.

Michael Bradley has a lot of great qualities, but it says a lot that he's a line-up staple and U.S. hero while Benny has been in exile.

OWN(yewu)ED and CU soccer repped this.
  17. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MVP of this entire thread

18. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This and it will only get “worse” with more top talent coming through the pipe. Everyone will have their favorites, brings back memories of my time in Italy and their arguing over who should be in the 23.

Honore de Ballsac and adam tash repped this.
  19. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Big and athletic English style is the American way...

I’m just going to the gym, I don’t want to get a red card.

20. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its weird but i think there was a "sweet spot" late 90s early 200s where there were just enough players to fill out rosters that the team kinda picked itself in a way.....when the fringes of the roster were inadequate....it was a lot easier to tell who was up to snuff.

now that there are many many more options it is a bit harder to see the forest from the trees...and the old way of doing things doesnt translate...even though is supect the inner circle of the team still works much the way it did in the 90s.....but you cant pick a us best 23 simply on # of caps the way you used to be able to.

what im saying is the performance of players correlated t how many caps they had....now, theres no rhyme or reason.....and yeah its actually harder to be definitive that any player is top 23. what it comes down to is an eye for talent. a smart coach will will clearly do better with a broader pool....but on the flip side, there is more chance of making mistakes with player selection whereas that wasnt such an issue before.

roster selection matters more now than ever before...and i think a guy like arena doesnt put much weight into that aspect of being a national team manager - to his and ussoccer's gigantic detriment. i think he thinks - or thought - that well usmnt will not play like barcelona - so roster number 11-23 dont matter...the overlooked players wouldnt make us barcelona so i'll just pick my vets. big mistake, imo.

22SteveD repped this.
  21. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    As I have said before, the US players pool have outgrown the level of US coaching.

MLS level coaches do not have the eyes for talents, nor do they have the expertise to maximize the talents at their disposal.

adam tash repped this.
  22. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I feel sorry for Feilhaber. He has deserved at least 25 more caps than he has received since Bob Bradley was fired.

23. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    He certainly deserved more than 10 minutes tonight when we were chasing a goal.

24. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not normally on this particular train, but Nagbe was abysmal. And given that MB90 wasn't going anywhere, Feilhaber should've been on at half or 60 at the latest.

25. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should have started over Nagbe, who has been terrible and should never have been called up.

We needed to control possession, dominate the middle of the field, and put our forwards/wingers in position to score. Feilhaber is the best in MLS at doing this and yet there he sat on the bench til it was too late.

I'm glad he got to play one last time, though. He's been screwed over for years.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.