Feilhaber: Liverpool v. Derby on Sat (9/1) [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by TimB4Last, Aug 31, 2007.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    http://soccernet-akamai.espn.go.com/preview?id=219171&cc=5901

{At the end of a long game preview, including a series of quotes from Davies ...}

Meanwhile, David Jones has been ruled out of the Liverpool clash with a groin injury and Giles Barnes has yet to recover from a broken metatarsal.

But Benny Feilhaber (ankle), Claude Davis (ribs), Dean Leacock (toe) and Tyrone Mears (thigh) are all expected to pass fitness tests.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/0831/liverpoolderbycounty.html

But midfielder David Jones is certain to miss the game thanks to a groin injury while Giles Barnes, who has yet to feature this season, will once more be excused duty with the midfielder another four weeks away from recovery following a broken metatarsal.

Winger Lee Holmes and defender Michael Johnson are also expected to sit out the game as a result of respective hamstring and calf injuries.

Dean Leacock has picked up a toe injury and will face a late fitness test while an ankle injury means there are also doubts over Benny Feilhaber.

Provisional squad: Bywater, Mears, Griffin, Davis, Todd, Moore, McEveley, Teale, Oakley, Pearson, Lewis, Fagan, Howard, Earnshaw, Feilhaber, Macken, Leacock, Malcolm, Camara, Price.

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  3. etastic

etastic New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my guess is Benny will sub off the bench, most likely for the first few games.

4. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Supposedly he wasn't match fit on Wednesday. Prolly didn't train much since the ankle injury. (so his fitness is going to get much better? Doubtful)..

Odds favor him not starting, but I'd love to be surprised. Pleasantly suprised would be a good performance in a match that is going to be absolutely brutal to Derby. 'Pool at home USUALLY takes no prisoners...

5. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor Eddie always neglected

6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    My bad, sorry. I got too caught up in reports regarding Feilhaber's health/availability.

I'm sure the mods will correct the thread title, as needed.

7. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Yeah, Eddie was one of the bright spots against Brum.
    I'll tell you what though. No-one was happier than me when we got promoted, now the dream's turning into a nightmare. These Premier League teams are awesome.

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article2364480.ece

Derby £11.75m

IN Kenny Miller (Celtic, £1m), Claude Davis (Sheffield United, £3m), Robert Earnshaw (Norwich City, £3.5m), Benny Feilhaber (SV Hamburg, undisc), Andy Griffin (Portsmouth, £500,000), Ben Hinchliffe (Preston North End, free), Eddie Lewis (Leeds United, undisc), Tyrone Mears (West Ham United, £1m), Lewis Price (Ipswich, undisc), Andy Todd (Blackburn Rovers, £750,000).

OUT Lionel Ainsworth (Hereford United, free), Paul Boertien (Walsall, free), Morten Bisgaard (Odense, free), Lee Camp (Queens Park Rangers, £300,000), Steve Cann (Rotherham, free), Lee Grant (Sheffield Wednesday, free), Richard Jackson (Luton, free), Seth Johnson (released), James Meredith (released), Lewin Nyatanga (Barnsley, season loan), Paul Peschisolido (Luton, free), Ryan Smith (Millwall, £150,000).

9. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, some Prem teams are awesome. Some are not. Derby is now a Prem team, and it's job for this year is to find three Prem teams who are less awesome than County. Do that, and you have a fighting chance to build properly for longer term Prem survival. It will be interesting to see if Derby can start firing, or if it is destined to be a Watford of last year.
    Best wishes, except against Reading

10. etastic

etastic New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually, Derby looked pretty good the first two games. I think the major weakness has been the back 4. If they can somehow stabilize that, then I think they stand a good chance.

I mean, Watford was able to play some stifling defense, they just couldn't score. If Derby can get the defense at the same level as Watford's was, then I see them in the EPL next year.

11. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

My guess is that Liverpool will batter the fcuk out of Derby....with or without Feilhaber.

12. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    1) That is one pretty major weakness....

2) Derby WILL be in the EPL next year.....just not next SEASON.

13. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did Benny pick up an ankle injury?

14. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Well, Gerrard is not playing apparently (good)

However, his substitute is pretty good, and will be trying to impress his gaffer (bad for Derby)

A draw would be a MONUMENTAL achievement.

15. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Yeah cuz Gerrard is Liverpools only good player!

And we suck at home!

And Toulouse gave us a real run for our money last match!

:rolleyes:

16. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Neither in the gameday 16.

17. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Yup, Feilhaber not in the squad.

18. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    I disagree with your statements.

19. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...or Lewis. :rolleyes:

poor guy, always ignored in Yanks Abroad.

20. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Reserve match against Spurs on Wednesday night. I expected he'd probably have shaken it off and be starting on the bench, but no.

21. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is getting annoying...get excited to see what he can do and he's not even on the bench...

22. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    3-0 Liverpool after an hour or so.....looks good for Benny in the future, not a bad game to miss out on methinks.

23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, he's hardly going further down the bench in this mess. now 6-0. last two have been walked in.

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Looks like the Derby move was perhaps not the best choice for BF. Maybe he should have stayed at Hamburg with hopes of moving up to the 1st team when Van der Vaart leaves at the end of this season.

25. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

can't be anything but good news for Benny....problem is some teams in the EPL are playing with machine guns and some with pea shooters.....Derby County definately in the latter category.