Feilhaber: Derby vs Blackpool (R) Carling Cup 28/08

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by the_mighty_rams, Aug 28, 2007.

1. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Yeah, it's official. We have a stiffs' league just like MLS does. Hopefully, this is a dry run for Saturday.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nuge is actually fourth on the depth chart behind Utaka, Kanu, and Benjani.

I think he'd be a good pickup for Derby.

3. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great. Surely Davies, after watching his teams first few games, doesn't believe Feilhaber is worse than the team he's been trotting out there. Does he?

I hope you're right, ossieend, but I highly doubt that he would play him in the reserves on Wednesday if he wants him ready for Saturday. Unless he's only going to play him for 30 minutes or something. If that's the case, though, I'd have to wonder what he's hoping to get out of it.

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Agreed, let's hope for a light workout, prepping for Saturday's game. And maybe we should cover the reserve game right here in this thread, so no one outside our merry band is the wiser. ;)

5. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC correctly, he can play in the game without a permit as long as the team does not charge admission...so somebody run out and see what ticket prices are...

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Ah, yes ... you are correct.

And Redknapp still wants Anelka or perhaps Adriano (although the latter seems to be either West ham or ManU bound) ... with a couple of days to go in this transfer period, there'll be a few major moves still left to be made.

7. the_mighty_rams

the_mighty_rams New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
    I've seen someone else post similar to that too.

However for tonights reserve game:
    "Entry at Pride Park is free for season ticket holders on production of their 2007/08 book. For non season ticket holders it's £3 for adults and £1 for concessions."

- from the official site

Are you sure about the 'entry charge' bit? The Slovak winger Svento played a trial game for us in a pre-season friendly and it was pay on the gate.

If anyone has asked Billy why Benny's not playing he's not replied. :confused:

8. the_mighty_rams

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
    Nuge has said he wants to stay at Pompey (unsurprisingly). Most Derby fans are braced for no-one wanting to sign for us I think. :(

9. etastic

etastic New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    apparently, Benny did have a visa problem. Good job by the bureaucrats taking 2 weeks to sort it out, jesus. And terrible reporting all around for noone to have anything about this, until the problem was already fixed.

Quotes: "The 22-year old American international has yet to appear for the bottom table club, but after sorting out some tedious paper work, he is now ready to contribute to Derby full-time.

"I have not been able play with a minor visa problem I had to deal with," continued Feilhaber. "We found out about all this after the US game in Sweden."

"Now I have finally received it, and I am ready to go.""

Feilhaber Visa Snafu Settled: http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=3353

10. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, that settles some of this, but why run him out in a reserve match if you intend to play him versus Liverpool three days later? I think we may be in for a little wait before he starts for the first team. :(

11. Bizz

Bizz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Needham, MA
    with Benny's passes vascilating between the sublime to the horrific, I think throwing him out there without match fitness and good first team training could make for a very challenging debut. Learning on the fly how your teammates make runs (while your teammates find where you will thread passes) against the likes of Liverpool is probably not the way to get started.

12. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that line of reasoning and I agree with it to a point, but Derby is going down either way. They aren't going to win regardless. I say in that instance that you get the guys you intend to develop (Barnes and Benny, chiefly) together now and let them learn about eachother so that you can bounce right back up after next season in the Colaship.

13. the_mighty_rams

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
  14. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I mostly agree with you.

Essentially, Davies needs to trust his young talent early. Let them take their lumps, and hope they fuse together well for the 2nd half of season and go on a run.

Any attempt to play 2nd rate vets is just not going to work. Of course, he will need some on the pitch, but guys like Feilhaber- he needs to play him and just roll the dice. Simple as that. Don't give him an early hook after a bad game or 2.....same with several others..

15. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yanks-abroad.com reporting

FEILHABER VISA SNAFU SETTLED
    Wed Aug 29, 2007
    Feilhaber is now eligibile for Derby selection
    American Benny Feilhaber is excited to be eligible for a debut this Saturday for struggling Derby County, having been unable to participate since joining from German team Hamburg in the offseason.

16. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

One page earlier and you would have seen the link

17. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh well. Didn't see it on this page -- wish YA had time-stamps on their articles.

18. etastic

etastic New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya, we'll probably see the Benny effect. He'll bounce between the first team and reserves, without getting in any 1st team games, before the team looks to cut its losses and transfers him.

19. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    This copied from a report from a Derby fan from a Rams fans' message board.

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:58 pm Post subject: Derby 2 Spurs 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quite an entertaining draw, and some good build up play from both teams, although it got a bit niggly and 3 or 4 players were booked (Johnno & Hanson) although Spurs were a bit mardy.

Michael Johnson scored a good header after 6 minutes from a corner. Lee Holmes passed a long ball to Paris Simmons on the half way line for Anthony Robinson to make it 2-0 with a good left shot from close in but Pekhart got one back just before half time. Boeteng equalised with a spectacular overhead kick midway through second half.

Feilhaber looked a bit fragile imo and quite a small skinny lad although left footed seems to be able to use his right as well.

Macken ran around a bit but even at reserve level lacks class

MOTM by far was their number 10 Kevin Prince Boateng, reminded me of Giles Barnes.

Holmes had a reasonably good first half but was then substituted. Eddy played left back, Miles Addison centre back seems to have grown, Derby's midfield seemed very lightweight. Robertson at number 9 looks promising

1 Lewis Price 6
    2 Mitch Hanson 6
    3 Marc Edworthy 6
    4 Miles Addison 7
    5 Michael Johnson 7
    6 Matt Richards 5
    7 Paris Simmons 6
    8 Benny Feilhaber 6
    9 Anthony Robertson 7
    10 Jon Macken 6
    11 Lee Holmes 7 Sub - Robert Ujcik 6
    Sub - Mario Loesch 5
    Sub - Mark Dudley (for Holmes) 6)

20. the_mighty_rams

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
    Three more observations -

http://www.box.net/shared/ycgqkblc6a - the goals.

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rams whats the story on Giles-Barnes why hasnt he been playing in games lately? That has been pretty perplexing to me.

Oh, i hope to god you guys get your forward too, might have to throw the bank at Nugent....with Portsmouth wanting to buy Defoe, Im hoping Davies thinks that is the way to go. Might cost in the realm of 6 mil, however these are the coss of playing in the EPL. Itd be a wise move i think.

22. the_mighty_rams

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
    He broke his foot in the Play-off Final. Back in training now, should play in the 'mid-internationals friendly' we're playing at St. Mirren on 6th Sept. (We really better not sell him or that's our last chance at staying up well and truely sunk - he's our only real quality. Not thru lack of trying to sign more mind!)

We better sign some strikers (huh or even one!) by c.o.p. Friday or its gonna be squeaky bum time all season! Lol.

23. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testing match fitness.

It'd be more dangerous to put him in his first EPL match without at least a half's play at game tempo.

24. ussoccerFan12358

Mar 11, 2006
    Central NY
    I'd say it's a good thing he was subbed off.