Feilhaber: Derby v Brum 25/08 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by the_mighty_rams, Aug 23, 2007.

1. the_mighty_rams

the_mighty_rams New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
    Big ouch. :(

2. the_mighty_rams

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
    Anybody got any spare strikers? :confused:

3. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Johnson?

I keed, I keed.

4. the_mighty_rams

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
    Mate I'd take Eddie Albert at the minute! :D

Sounds like Lewis is playing quite well though.

5. etastic

etastic New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so why does the manager continually sit Benny? He's not some 18yr old neophyte that needs to be brought along gently and slowly. If he doesn't play, that'll make it 3 games in a row. I don't see how this situation is any different than HSV. In fact, it's almost an exact repeat of his former situation.

6. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    Calm down, this is only the second game he's been eligible to play in. I'm sure he'll get a run out, and soon.

7. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Lewis with the assist 1-1

8. TheGhostOfQ

TheGhostOfQ New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Matt Oakley levels it up for Derby with a great volley at the far post after Lewis had picked out the Rams captain with a great cross.

Sounds like Eddie's had himself a day, good for him. C'mon Derby

9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    1-2 B'Ham

Jerome 63'

10. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    These are the kind of games Derby has to win to have any chance of staying up.

11. the_mighty_rams

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
    'Look and think before you post'?

I can state the obvious too.

Eddie had a good game, maybe he'll force his way back into the US team? :)

12. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

13. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked like a team effort to me...

14. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Feihaber had a 90 minute international away in Sweden and couldnt have arrived back until Thursday. Maybe he was only available for Friday practice. Its my guess is that the USA game was a factor in resting the player.

15. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    sweden's not that far away, and he could've easily been subbed.

16. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    I was very impressed by Lewis, but we're far from the finished article as a team. Today Brum looked like a Prem team, we had most of the possession, but rarely looked dangerous, but when Brum broke away they were razor sharp.
    I'd love to see Benny play. Maybe he'll start against Blackpool in the week. Shame I won't see it because I'm working.

17. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely not true. They were equal in their missed passes, Feilhaber committed more fouls and both contributed equally negatively to the goal, each missing all contact on a tackle.

18. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see Lewis in the Premiership

19. the_mighty_rams

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
    That sounds an almost balanced view ossie - how many players do you think we need, and how many do you think we'll get in by close of play Friday? :)

20. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Stogey23 and Seanie_Blue's Benny vs. Lewis bet is not off to a good start.

Minutes:
    Lewis 73
    Benny 0

21. the_mighty_rams

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
    Lol! Are you counting Cup matches? Home v Blackpool on Tues 19:45 ko

22. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Well, I hate to say it after only four games and I remember the start of last season started similarly, but big Stevie Howard doesn't look a Premiership player. He wasn't even winning the aerial battles today like he was against Pompey.
    Griffin looks OKish though Edworthy must wonder what he's done wrong.
    Mears has started great, but was out injured.
    Davis can cut it.
    Big Dave has his strengths ie. his strength and heading, but he's back-up at best.
    Leacock deserves a run next to Davis.
    Andy Todd is good enough as a DM or CB.
    Del Pearo cuts it.
    Oakley is OK, but is just ordinary at this level.
    Teale is a Prem fringe player, but will do for us.
    Earnie, we know can score, but needs a run in the side and service/the right partner.
    Lewis has the quality on today's showing, can he keep the pace up?
    Fagan looks good enough which is a surprise because he was rubbish last year.
    So, Davis needs a partner at the back even if Leacock or Todd is that man we need a good back-up CD or midfield anchor.
    Failing signing Patrick Vierra, we need Barnsey to come back even better than last year and hope Benny is the player the people on these boards say he is, but without the mistakes. Mistakes kill you in this league even more surely than they did five years ago.
    And we need at least one probably two strikers, one of whom needs to take over big Stevie's job:( .

23. the_mighty_rams

Aug 8, 2007
    near Avebury
    Too many of our midfield are 'okay' it seems. Barnes and Benny might add that bit extra, but consistantly? Need some extra quality wide right & left and centre!!! You know we need some big, ugly fooker there - shame Diop would laff at us...

We need two strikers at least, as you say, one to give Howard a rest and one to give Earnie a rest - although can't see Earnie's very tired!

The thing that bugs me is that Billy knows we're not gonna '1-0' this league and went on about quality in midfield and up front, but...........

........we are not a very good proposition are we? :(

24. etastic

etastic New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude, Derby needs defensive help. Even the manager was calling out his defense after the game. Very poor marking.

25. seanie blue

seanie blue New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Hey Toner, I'm sorry to beat the dead horse, and you're right, it IS time for me to move on. But then there are several dozen posts putting BF into the starting line-up immediately so we can see his elegant play. And I get fired up to respond. I promise I will try to control myself and stay off Benny's back.

For the record, again: I like Feilhaber, and I want him to succeed but Derby's fight this season will not be the place to do it. As another poster pointed out: BF is not 18, so why isn't he playing?

And for the record: I don't have any illusions that Eddie should be playing for Team USA. No way. But by December he'll be one of steadiest members of the starting XI, for whichever manager pulls the strings at Derby. I'd like to point out in his favor that there are dozens and dozens, probably hundreds of posts on this forum which point out that Lewis cannot cross well, and the goal today (a critical, critical goal for Derby at this point) came on a cross to the FAR side of goal. Lewis is a scrapper, like Demerit, but not suited to the rigid approaches of Team USA. You could make the case that he has been mis-used by U.S. coaches his entire career; I would make the case that he played where the coach needed him because there were no alternatives.

I do not doubt Feilhaber will play a lot for Derby, as a sub with eventual starter minutes, but the manager wants to win -- has to win -- and mistakes are a bigger factor than talent in the EPL and always have been. If you couldn't see the poor decisions against Sweden, you're not looking for effective play; of course Bradley made more turnovers, but did Beny contribute anythign like Bradley's tackling?

Anyway, I'm pulling for Feilhaber. But I'm not losing my sense of reality to do it.

Sorry T., but this is really more about Lewis than BF for me.