Feedback request - futsal vs soccer key law presentation

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RefIADad, Dec 10, 2019.

1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking for some wisdom from the group, particularly from those who also referee futsal. The sports complex in my town is starting a futsal league, and I'm officiating games and helping to informally train the referees on the key rule/law differences between futsal and soccer (I'm also hoping to become a USSF futsal instructor, and I'm working with several people in my state to begin that process). The referees will receive a PDF of the most current FIFA futsal LOTG, but I have also put a fairly short presentation together to highlight the key differences between the two codes. A PDF draft of the presentation is attached.

Any modifications or additions are greatly appreciated. (TBK is the name of a local bank that has naming rights to the sports complex. The gymnasium is set up where two side by side basketball courts plus the space in between the inside sidelines make up the length of the futsal court while the length of the basketball court makes up the width of the futsal court. The official court size is approximately 120 feet long by 84 feet wide, which is basically a FIFA-compliant futsal court with hardwood floors. It is really a great setup for futsal, as the gym has eight basketball courts that turn into four futsal courts.)

I've officiated some small-sided 4v4 this fall, and I've really enjoyed doing those games. The small field size and quick pace of play increase the number of decisions made during a game, so it's great referee training. Futsal is something I hope really takes off in my town and state.

Attached Files:

2. NOVA Ref

NOVA Ref New Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Just a few thoughts...For kick ins, you have "Kick Ins must occur within four seconds after setting the ball for play." I might to be clear that "setting" must be done with the hand. You can't set the ball with your foot for example and then kick the ball. Also, the four seconds doesn't necessarily start with the setting of the ball. It starts when the referee believes the player has the ball where the kick in is to be taken. For example, a player can't stand over the ball or even hold the ball and scan the field, then set the ball and the four seconds starts. These comments apply to corners and free kicks as well.

Goal Clearances...not sure f you want to address whether throwing the ball past halfway line is allowed. This changes from league to league that my son plays in.

There is no slide tackling or playing the ball on the ground near another player. A player is allowed to slide to save a ball from going out of bounds for example as long as there are no players near him.

RefIADad repped this.
  3. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    In the Laws, there is no limitation on this.

In the Laws, there is no limitation on this. A slide tackle becomes an offence when it either becomes dangerous or is done in a careless, reckless, or excessive force manner.

tomek75 repped this.
  4. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the big item on the quote above (and probably on the issue of where the keeper can throw the ball) is that some local rules of competition prohibit slide tackling. For example, I worked a 4v4 tournament two weekends ago, and the rules stated that slide tackle challenges weren't allowed. The ROC did say that someone could slide to play the ball as long as no one was within playing distance. This is a question for me to ask the league director (who is also the technical director for my son's club - I work with him a lot on referee-related items) to determine.

To be honest, I'm not sure why anyone would want to slide tackle on a hardwood floor or a sport court. The idea of deliberately sliding and picking up a big floor burn doesn't sound appealing at all.

5. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I officiate in the National Premier Futsal League, and it follows the FIFA Futsal Laws of the game with no modifications. The last time the Laws were updated was in 14/15. (On the side note, new Laws are already written, but they need to be voted on by IFAB, they will align more closely with soccer.)

There are also quite a few law changes between USFF and USSF futsal.

Additionally local rules differ, as some people mentioned, slide tackling, Goal clearances, Kick offs, duration of play etc... It is up to the organizing body to decide.

Here are the ROC's for our local youth league:
    • 24 minute running clock, clock only stops for serious injuries.
    • Kick off can be in any direction.
    • Slide tackling is allowed as long as there is no contact with the opposing player.
    • Teams must have at least 5 players to start a game
    • Players must wear indoor or flat bottom soccer shoes/sneakers (no cleats allowed)
    • U8 through U12 use size 3 balls (one referee)
    • U13 through U18 use size 4 balls (2 referees)
    • Home team listed first must change jerseys if colors are conflicting
    • Matches will be forfeited if a team does not have enough players within the 5 minute grace period from the scheduled start time*
    • *The score of forfeited games will be recorded as 2-0
    • Teams forfeiting a match for any reason will not receive a refund of any kind
    • 3 points are awarded for a win, 1 point is awarded for a tie and 0 points for a loss
    • Heading the ball is prohibited for ages U11 and younger

RefIADad repped this.