Federico Higuain wants to play for USA.... is it possible or worth it?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Bolivianfuego, Mar 1, 2013.

1. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So, uhm. Federico should be looking at citizenship in the next few months. People say that Berhalter needs a 10 for his system........

largegarlic, Marko72 and MPNumber9 repped this.
  2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a mentor to younger players, and a guy who is totally clean of last cycles pestilence, I say yeah being him in for the grizzled old vet role. We still need a couple of those, and would take him over the Bradley and altidore types

3. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Has he applied for citizenship? I wouldn't have thought he'd have gotten it already.

Also, I didn't realize until looking it up just now that he was Gonzalo Higuain's brother.

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    It's kind of frustrating that here we are in late 2018, but nevertheless, if someone were to ask me, even at his age, if the US national team were better off with Higuain on the roster to play the 10 role (especially if Berhalter is indeed our next manager), the short answer would be "yes."

5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's 34 years old. That's past the sell-by date on international midfielders. Goodbye, and thanks for the fish!

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a 34 year old can improve your team, you bring him in.

Props for the Hitchhiker's Guide reference, though.

Marko72 and TOAzer repped this.
  7. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want an intelligent and veteran presence, who still has something to offer on the field, shows passion for the opportunity to play for the US, and concentrates on helping his team-mates, Higuain would be a far far better choice than any from M to B. just sayin'

21st Century Pele and MarioKempes repped this.
  8. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was? ......:cautious:....

9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we are so bad that we need to introduce a NEW 34 yr old player, then we are in trouble. If he had already played with the team, then I might bring him in for leadership and some minutes. There's no doubt that Higuain can still play, but it's a young man's game. And he'd be too old for the 2022 World Cup. We have many other options. It's time to let the youngsters have their chance. Dempsey and Howard are too old. I'm not even sure Bradley should be called up anymore at age 31.

Hanging on to older players and not giving youngsters more chances is the main reason why we didn't qualify for World Cup 2018.

Pl@ymaker and Patrick167 repped this.
  10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Sometimes it feels as if we've never left the 1980s.

TOAzer and bsky22 repped this.
  11. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    One look at popular TV and Netflix offerings confirms this. But sure, give him a look, even though he's almost old enough to be our starting midfielders' dad.

12. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Looking forward to the new Mannix reboot. After that, Harry O, Banacek, Barretta, Kojak, Cannon, and Toma.

13. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are those who might say that not qualifying for a World Cup out of CONCACAF is the very definition of being in trouble.

Speaking of which...qualifying for a World Cup is not, has never been and never will be about letting the youngsters having their chance. It's about putting your best 11 out there so you can get to the dance. If a 34 year old never been capped guy is part of that best 11, you put him out there. We have better options at the Number 10? Name them.

Letting the youngsters have their chance is what friendlies are for.

Marko72 and TOAzer repped this.
  14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harry O and Banacek were decent but where's the love for the 70's best show The Rockford Files?

15. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm holding out hope for a M.A.S.K reboot. Matt Trakker was the truth.

Back on topic: if Higuain wants to suit up for us, he can do a job for us. I like him as a road option in WCQ -- and I suspect the rumored new USMNT manager does too.

16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    ahhh...WCQs don't start for 3 years. Your "best 11" now should be the players that will be the best in 3 years. No, you won't get that 100%, but you should try. And just selecting the 11 best players at this moment is probably not optimal way to do it. Especially if one of those players will be retired in 2022.

The closest approximation to decent level international football, for an MLS midfielder, is to play the Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena. Higuain was mostly invisible and ineffective last night. I didn't even realize he was on the field until 30 minutes into the game. Higuain is probably a great MLS player but needs the time and space that he can easily get against most MLS teams to succeed. Nothing last night showed that he is up to playing on the USMNT.

17. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sure about that? 2021? Even with this being a Winter WC, I doubt it starts that late.

Two years, I'll buy.

18. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your post is very important, because it really underscores the bad ideas and memes that exist out there and, if followed, will only further delay our progress. Qualifying for the World Cup is obviously a requirement for any US coach, but we want more than that. We want to grow the game, we want to improve the team, we want to move the football (soccer) forward. We don't want to just sneak in by the slightest margin and then fall flat on our face. This means playing younger players. This means not playing old players that won't be part of the 2020 World Cup roster. This means playing good, less experienced players, at times, who will then grow and mature and be ready for the World Cup. It's not 1989 anymore. We aren't struggling to make our first World Cup in 40 years. We need new blood. We need new ideas. There is no reason to introduce a 34 yr old player into the team. No better options at #10? There is a fellow named Christian Pulisic who plays at Dortmund. I'm sure you'e heard of him.

Patrick167 repped this.
  19. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They start in 1 year, IIRC.

20. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    For the June 2018 WC, qualifying started in Nov. 2016. Following the same timeline for a Dec. 2022 WC would have qualifying starting in April 2021. Probably the March 2021 FIFA window. Higuain would be around 37.

21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Maybe you are thinking League of Nations? Or Olympics?

22. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoted for Truth, brother.

23. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see now they've (FIFA) screwed around with the whole qualifying process for the next WC. The draw occurs next July. I don't think we have a schedule for CONCACAF qualifying yet.

24. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have. I've also seen it argued on this site that the Number 10 may not be the best place for him. Not that I buy that necessarily, but reasonable people can have a debate on the topic.

25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You forgot we played the fourth round also. November, 2015. On the one hand, CONCACAF wants to include all nation's from the very start. On the other, number of spots for Qatar is still up in the air. It could start in a couple of months, it could be later than that. I'd bet for it starting in a year.

Patrick167 repped this.