Federico Higuain wants to play for USA.... is it possible or worth it?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Bolivianfuego, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Came out in the Columbus Dispatch. He loves this country and said he wants to play for USA if possible one day.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2013/03/01/higuain-feels-at-home-in-city.html

Would there be any way to speed up his citizen process given that he really wants to play for the US?

I remember reading that it can be done, but through congress. They would have to prove he's an asset to our country... and I have to wonder if that is possible. He is brothers with one of the best forwards in the game...not to mention his talent, he'd be an amazing asset to the USMNT even after the 2014 WC, he'd be what? 30?

2. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Is he really that good though? I would think a player would have to be Messi status to probably get Congress to act, but I don't know. They did it for some Olympian.

3. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Who knows. One things for sure, he LOVES columbus... I wonder if a politician would be willing to help him out... I mean it's friggin Columbus! :p

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    In theory, Congress could get him citizenship but it is very rare and in his case would be highly, highly unlikely. I mean, not impossible but damn close to it. (Cue up "so you're sayin' there's a chance.")

Unfortunately, Father Time and the US bureaucracy are working against Higuain here. Higuain is 28, and turns 29 in October.

To first be eligible for US citizenship, Higuain needs to get a Green Card, ie become what the government calls a "permanent resident." MLS teams have gotten much more proactive in getting Green Cards for their foreign players and it's been done in as little as a year and but often is taking about 2 years.

Best case scenario for Higuan would be getting a Green Card this fall, close to his 29th birthday. Then he has to wait about 5 years to become a citizen.

So, again, best case scenario is it would be late 2018, when he's 34. On top of making him old to begin an international career, late 2018 is also the beginning of a new WC cycle, when Coach Kreis will likely be introducing newer and younger players and not ones who will be pushing 40 in 2022.

There's a reason no foreign player who has come to the US to play in MLS has ever gone on to get citizenship and represent the US - it just takes too long and they are past their prime by the time the process plays out.

So, long story short: very, very unlikely Federico Higuain plays for the US.

5. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I think he's good enough that he'd warrant a camp call-up if this were to somehow be possible, though I very much doubt it is.

Don't think he's good enough to unseat Jozy or Dempsey though.

Probably a moot point to even argue.

6. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He'd be catergorized as a '10'. We don't have much of those...and if he stays healthy for the remainder of his career... if he's possible at 34.. who knows.

7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In rare cases Congress has made exceptions, not sure if ever for sports figures. I believe they have sped up cases where by marriage and stuff like that. Is Federico anywhere close to his brother's ability? unfortunately no.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So here's something to consider.

Since MLS started, 69 players who were eligible to play for the United States have been named to the season-ending Best XI at least once. Of those 69, all but 2 have been capped at least once by the US senior national team.

So, it's fair to suggest that if you're good enough to be named Best XI, odds are you're good enough to warrant at the very least a look-see cap from the US.

Since MLS started, these uncap-tied international players have come to the US and gone on to be MLS Best XI at least once.

Diego Serna was 24 when he came to the US to play for the Fusion in 1998.
    Christian Gomez was 29 when he came to the US to play for DCU in 2004.
    Luciano Emilio was 26 when came to the US to play for DCU in 2007.
    Wilman Conde was 25 when he came to the US to play for the Fire in 2007.
    Sebastien LeToux was 23 when he came to the US to play for the A-League Sounders in 2007.
    Javier Morales was 27 when he came to the US to play for RSL in 2007.
    Jamison Olave was almost 27 when he came to the US to play for RSL in 2008.
    Aurelien Colin was 25 when he came to the US to play for Kansas City in 2011.

Gomez was an MLS MVP and three-time Best XI. Emilio was a Golden Boot winner. Olave has been a Defender of the Year and multiple Best XI.

And none of them got any help from the US government or Congress to help expedite their US citizenship process. Thinking Congress will help is a fool's errand. It ain't gonna happen. It happened for an ice dancer about 12 years ago and there was a big out-cry over it. And that was in a Congress that got along a lot better than today's does.

Higuain will have to wait just like everyone else. And just like the players listed above, the wait will be so long and slow that by the time they're naturalized - if they go through with the process - their national team window has closed because they are too old.

(BTW, I think if any foreign player who came to MLS un-capped were to go on to play for the US, it would be LA's Juninho, who came to the US at a young age and still would be in his prime if he gets naturalized in the next 5 years or so.)

9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juninho is still young? the dude looks old already.

Borrachin repped this.
  10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I guess is depends on how you define young. He just turned 24 and is heading into his 4th season with LA.

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    MLS is full of Juninhos.

Winoman repped this.
  12. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah cap Le Toux now! Wait a second...

;)

Anyways, in a fantasy world, if he'd been eligible now... I think he'd make the 23 pretty easily.

13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not gonna happen

14. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    The US midfield is also full of Juninhos.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I am pretty sure they did it for Jean Willrich in the mid-80's.

Tanith Belbin got her papers three years after receiving the green card, with Carl Levin pulling some weight in the Senate in 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanith_Belbin

PS. Freddy H. must not think highly of the US scoring options.

16. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    So wait, someone is advocating Congress (who can't do anything fast) expedite citizenship for Federico Higuain? With immigration reform currently being an issue in DC?

This will not happen unless he saves a busload of middle class auto working undecided voters living outside Akron from falling off a cliff.

m vann, Sandon Mibut, INKRO and 2 others repped this.
  17. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those stories where pre-911. Before things got serious.

18. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Stranger things have happened. ;)

19. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well dayum, if he likes living in Columbus, imagine how he'd like living in a fun place. ;)

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Higuan goes abroad, defeats Al-Qaeda by himself while single handily carrying thousands of US soldiers to safety under enemy fire and solving the North Korean nuclear conflict thereby forcing Congress to do something it rarely does; something. Ie granting him citizenship.

But yes I think he would start for the team.

Dignan and GiallorossiYank repped this.
  21. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    imagine if him and Dennis Rodman tag team and do just that.

22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Which is how it should be.

23. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if only Nicolino was born in the USA. He could've had an

[​IMG]

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's old hat by now, but if you read the article, you see the niche for the smaller clubs in MLS. The lifestyle is great for family men. It just gives me a bit of a warm feeling to see how MLS has made someone genuinely HAPPY.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And in MLS you're guaranteed of getting your paycheck on time.

Which sounds funny to say, but in fact that isn't a sure thing in some countries (like Argentina)

Basically, there's no chance of him playing for the US. By the time he becomes eligible, it'll be too late.

But hey, its nice to hear.......................