fear of breaking traditions

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by DCunited11, Oct 4, 2005.

1. DCunited11

DCunited11 New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    ok, i have this analysis to write about some short story, but i have to include some connections to the present.

what kind of traditions are people afraid of breaking? (currently)
    i just can't think of any, and searching on google brings me nowhere

thanks

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Your indifference, lack of curiousity, and laziness are stunning.

Oh, and asking your teacher might be a better way to go. You know, a living, breathing person who knows your real name and, if he or she is doing the job right, has an actual stake in your future. Really: flesh and blood adults can help you learn at least as well as the internet, contrary to what you've been indoctrinated to believe.

EDIT:

here's another thread started by this person, in an attempt to get others to do work for him.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242448

3. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Thinking for themselves.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading...

5. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dr. Wankler again.

Seriously, talk to your teacher and do your own work.

And why would you search on google for this? Have you never had contact with other human beings? Is your life totally devoid of meaningful experience? Writing about that would produce a far better essay than some random things thrown at you on an internet message board.

6. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    I was with you up to then...
    This kid has a pretty ordinary level of lack of curiosity, I'd say.

7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Not tugging on Superman's cape.
    2. Not spitting into the wind.
    3. Not pulling the mask off that old Lone Ranger.
    4. Not messing around with Jim.

8. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    What could be next? Shooting a man just to see him die?

9. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    Dear colleague from another continent, I can't give reputation right now, but please know that you will always find a free seat and a meal at my table.

10. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That link won't make any sense unless he's actually read Sui Hu Zhuan, which I don't think he has. Or you have, for that matter.

11. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    ITN, the kid is not "asking for help." He wants us to do his homework for him, simple as. IIRC, in the other thread he started, he asked for primary sources relating to WWII in Japan and you led him to books published in 1962 and 1999. It's obvious you've never done any research yourself whatsoever, because if you had you'd know that a primary source is something that comes from the time period in question, not something written 55 years after the fact.

12. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    ITN and Doc W, we get the idea. You two don't like each other. Replay your favorite scenes from the Jerry Springer show elsewhere.

DCunited11, this forum is designed to create conversation about a topic. Once you've done some research of your own (and like Dr. Wankler said, your professor would be a good starting point. Odds are that your school has access to some literary journals, which are quite a bit better than Google), feel free to come on here, post your thoughts and get some feedback from the folks on the forum. Nobody here will do your homework for you.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And at the risk of offering some help - most of the internet is not "covered" by search engines such as google. Look for the "hidden web" and figure out how to find it. It isn't hard.

Actually, while teaching, my fear deals with breaking wind as opposed to any particular tradition.

14. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    ItN, I'm not trying to "hurt rather than help." Forgive me if I've misjudged DCunited11's intentions, but I just don't think it's helpful to his education to give him this sort of information when learning how to find such things one's self is so crucial to the learning process. I don't know if he/she is in college yet, but if he is, his prof will recognize that his work is lacking, and if he isn't, he's in for a rude awakening once he gets there.

As for the other point in your neg-rep message, If you don't think it's necessary that students learn the research process themselves (and by this I mean going to the library and actually working, not scouring google), you've misjudged the the point education itself, not just this forum.

15. DCunited11

DCunited11 New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    wow, i didnt think people could be so mean. i already have info, i was just looking for other insights. might as well go to another board, for EDUCATION

byw, my paper was already due...gosssh

16. DCunited11

DCunited11 New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    and at least i like the best team ever....unlike ANY of you in here

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sorry, dude, but I wasn't being mean: taking shortcuts destroys your education, and going behind your teacher's back is a vile, disgusting thing to do. And that sure is what it looks like you are doing. The fact that educated people, many of whom are professional educators, concluded on this thread that you are trolling in order to get others to do your work for you, should tell you something about your method: it sure doesn't look like you want "EDUCATION," or even help. It looks like you're trying to shirk your obligations.

As far as your "my paper was already due..." line: Well, you need to improve on your grammar and mechanics, because the sentence "ok, i have this analysis to write about some short story, but i have to include some connections to the present..." sure makes it sound like the paper's not done yet.

Also, if you have info, and are looking for "other insights," then that's great and this forum, as well as "History" and "Books," are good places to post. But you might want to indicate what info you have. Then the advice you get will be more useful and contextualized, then you can participate in a discussion, and actually learn. As it is, your posts just say, "give me information," which leads many people who actually teach to conclude that you're going to cut-n-paste it into something that resembles a paper. Can you see that?

Finally...

The US Women's National team is the best team ever? Well, maybe in the 90s, but women's international soccer has come a long way, so I'm not sure how much longer you'll be able to say that.

;)

18. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good grief.

Effective education necessarily involves you investing some considerable portion of yourself in the work of learning. You started this thread in order to ask people you didn't know to do perhaps the most important part of the writing assignment for you, thereby
    a) depriving yourself of the important educational benefits of research and reducing dramatically the educational benefit you might otherwise have derived from the assignment,
    b) attempting to offload the most difficult work on others while
    c) taking credit for it yourself (I assume you were not going to tell your teacher that you'd gotten X ideas and information from BS posters).

Incidentally, (c) is cheating. If you did anything like this then you deserve a failing grade on the assignment, for starters.

Nobody has been mean to you. You started out trying to do something wrong and got the response you deserved.

19. DCunited11

DCunited11 New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    it's not cheating. have you ever heard of a works cited page.

*DCU is the best*

-END OF THREAD-

20. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is cheating unless you credit all the sources you've used to get access to something that you didn't know ahead of time. For example, if somebody had given you a substantial idea about a tradition that you'd never heard of before and you used it in your paper but you didn't cite it (including the url would have been easiest), then that would have been plagiarism. In most college level classes, plagiarism is an automatic F for the assignment plus a trip to Honor Court.

Many students hesitate putting in cites because they are afraid they'll look unoriginal, but in fact in research papers or critical essays there is considerable space for originality in the way you employ your sources. In other words, you get credit for being able to find and recognize good ideas and pertinent information and for applying them in ways that make sense given your thesis. You only get trouble if you present someone else's work or ideas as your own.

Look, you'd have gotten a very different response (from me, at least) if you'd started out by saying "here's my assignment, here's what I've got so far, and here's where I'm stuck: any pointers as to where to go next?" Because that at least shows the people you're asking that you're doing the work and gives them a much more doable task than the one you presented folks with at the start of this thread. And Dr. Wankler is absolutely right to tell you to first ask that question of your teacher, and do it EARLY in the writing process. That is, by far, the best piece of advice you've gotten in this whole thread.

For one thing, the very act of formulating questions like this will help move your writing along. For another, the sooner a student gets away from the idea that they should only bring a finished product to their teacher, the better off they will be. You do not need to have pearls of wisdom bounding off your tongue, you just need a thoughtful question. Also, besides being paid to do it, believe it or not many teachers actually enjoy helping students in this way. Teachers differ, of course, but it's always worth a try.

21. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Um, I believe I posted earlier in this thread, and I have a lot more of a legitimate claim to supporting the 'best team ever' than you do.

22. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    They're not being mean, they're being honest.
    Really? Considering how ambigous and half-hearted your original statement was, you probably didn't.
    It's a form for discussing issues related to education, not homework advice.

23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I can't wait until he posts in a forum where Mike Segroves visits once in awhile.

24. DCunited11

DCunited11 New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    why do you think i'm a "he?"

chicks can't like soccer??....now that's mean

25. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Or superdave