FCD makes their transfer window case

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Hitman, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've been seeing FCD making all these trades and getting Garberbucks in return, leading some to believe that they're planning on spending them on some player or players outside of MLS.

Judging from the sweet new deals that they're handing out to Pax and Cap'n Matt have been getting, my guess -- without being too clear on the rules and such for the use of the various types of Garberbucks -- is that the Garberbucks are being used to buy down the cap hits for these new deals.

5. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    just announced the signing of Santos the Brazilian 6. assume this is their attempt to replace Gruezo, allowing Acosta to push back into the 8 - all of this leads to me scratch my head over what this club's plan is.

Suppose it's only fair to wait and see how this plays out, but it appears to me there's a general fault in this model.

I would take notice of the news Buzz broke yesterday of Diego Latayf has declined a NTXSC offer and will join Tigres' academy. The importance of this is the larger question of "will all this young talent actually want to take low paying USL1 deals from the Hunts vs almost certainly larger ones in Mexico or elsewhere?" Don't be surprised if there's a run of players jumping ship simply because the promise of advancing to the MLS team is a rather clogged pipeline.

So getting back to the Santos acquisition, because this specifically ties back to this question, exactly how does a MLS team give the appearance of building a roster for MLS Cup glory while also creating time/opportunity for this faucet of homegrown talent?

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say build around youth and try and have them stay 2-3 years at least starting 16 but fill in with really good to great players. Their biggest fault is signing the Acosta's and Cobra's. unless this new #6 is a top 3-5 MLS player then he's only taking time away from your own HG midfelders. If he and Acosta starting puts Servania on the bench then it's a fail. I think Servania is better than Acosta right now and I wonder how far behind this new #6 Cerrillo is. I do know Servania and Cerrillo aren't near where they will end up while the other two are finished products. I'm not sure I like this new GM. While other MLS teams go after stars we continue getting journeyman who may no better than the kids we already have but since they get paid more they will get more playing time.

7. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    just to make sure we're all using the same language. There is no new GM. The new Technical Director is the new guy.

Just because I'm "that guy" I will state for the record I find the fact that the deal to acquire Santos was done between brothers to be very unstable. (Zanotta's brother has the same role at Palmerias).

What we don't yet know is if they think a $700K, 30 yr old DM mid who's only ever played in his home country is a Gruezo replacement, or someone they intend to use as a backup and veteran leader. Carlos was several years younger, played in both a World Cup and in other countries, and cost more than 2x - so I'm not sure how he's actually a Gruezo replacement.

Historically, the Hunts aren't going to go out and bring in multiple pieces at tall dollars. But maybe with this "new beginning" they keep promoting this as that part will change as well.

But if it does - would that not make the loss of Pareja all the more defeating?

MjrGrubert repped this.
  8. RMAmethyst

RMAmethyst New Member

Dec 26, 2018
    Hello, I'm a Palmeiras fan so let me give my opinion about Thiago Santos.

He was being our starter in 2016 when we won the Brazilian League but Felipe Melo came to Palmeiras in 2017 and Thiago Santos was benched.

He is very professional, he never complained and always worked obediently.

He is a prominent defender, good at positioning and tackles (mainly at tackles). But his biggest flaw is passing, he struggles to maintain possession and that's the reason that Felipe Melo started over him. He also has a big number of fouls although I think most of these fouls aren't fouls but they are called because Brazilian refs call any touch.

SabreKhan and burning247 repped this.
  9. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should subside some for FCD then, MLS refs allow a pretty bullish game to a point. Unless you're beating up on a league darling.

Thanks for the scouting report! Any word on Raphael Veiga? When initially reported FCD was chasing a package deal to acquire both of them.

10. RMAmethyst

RMAmethyst New Member

Dec 26, 2018
    Raphael Veiga succeeded in any club not named Palmeiras. He was an exciting prospect back in 2016 (his professional debut when he was 20 years old) for Coritiba. He made a good season and many big Brazilian clubs were after him. Palmeiras signed him but he almost didn't have space in that squad, he didn't show anything special in 2017 and he was loaned to Athlético (Coritiba's rival) in 2018. Keep in mind that Palmeiras was the best Brazilian team in 2016 and we have many good players so not all of them have enough opportunity.

He started 2018 badly with Athlético former coach, but they changed the coach and then Veiga started to shine and he was a very important piece for them in the Copa Sudamericana title. He was one of the key players of Athlético. They tried to sign Veiga but Palmeiras demanded too much money for him. He returned to Palmeiras in 2019 but didn't show anything special again.

In 2018, Veiga showed that he was very good on passing (either short or longpasses) and long shots. He was good on dribbling and free kicks too but nothing special. Palmeiras have other players that we trust more so he is probably not in our plans and we are going to try to sell or loan him again. If he shows the same football of 2018 he would be a good player for any Brazilian or American team.

11. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think the Hunts have extended Pat’s contract in KC yet and everyone in the world will be laughing at them if they don’t.
    Assuming they pay him 200+, FCD might only focus on homegrowns for at least another ten years.

12. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m ready to see another player that passed through CAP.

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian Sciaretta
    @BrianSciaretta

5h
    Talks between Bayern and FC Dallas for American defender Justin Che are still on-going. I'm told there is no deal done yet and that the loan had no buy-on clause.

14. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    I wonder what Hedges and Martinez's injury situations are, but doesn't seem to make sense to give Che some time to see what's there? Hell, let him play RB over Eddie.

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Each case is different but FCD need to start getting some playing time for their best players. Maybe not all but some. Doesn't seem to have hurt Philly. They won the SS last year and sold two players after that. I guess we sort of had a similar thing with Cannon and Reynolds but they both played the same position and we didn't win squat. Would have been nice to see Gomez at left back opposite those two for at least a few games and this year he might have been the starter with Hollingshead switching to RB.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SBI Soccer
    Tanner Tessmann at MLS club FC Dallas the midfielder is reportedly on the verge of making a move to Europe. Italian Serie A club Venezia is in talks to acquire Tessmann. ESPN reported Saturday. FC Dallas would receive roughly $3-4 million for Tessmann as a transfer fee

17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Anyone keeping tabs on how much cash the Hunts have made (on player sales) in the last 12-24 months?

VioletCrown repped this.
  18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really hard to know because of loans and future sell ons. Italian teams use a lot of financial tricks to stay ahead of the tax man. Spanish giants too I think. I think FCD got caught up in some of this with Boavista and Roma. They are having some OJT and in the future won't make the same mistakes again.

19. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It's been widely reported that they've yet to receive a penny for Cannon from Boavista. I would hope that his subsequent sale would force Boavista to pay them, but honestly I have no idea how things work when someone hasn't paid.

20. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Transfermarket has the following
    Renyolds: $7.43M
    Reggie: $2.75M
    Santos: $1.1M
    Kobra: $770K

Tanner is somewhere about $3M, Sealy's PSV deal can't be more than $1M, and Thomas is a loan, not a sale.

So, you're somewhere south of $15M, which is in the space of their annual FCD Youth fee revenues. So now the Hunts have a $30m+ of revenue before you subtract the total expenses/losses of their MLS team.

21. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How has this not resulted in lawsuits and FIFA sanctions?

22. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I honestly have no idea. Dallas hasn't been paid for Cannon. Houston hasn't been paid for Elis, which I assume explains at least in part why both are for sale. My question is there some mechanism that if (when) they're sold FCD and Houston both get paid first before Boavista receives whatever remains? If not I'd be super pissed and taking their case to whatever court they can to get their money. Does anyone have a clue how this works? I can't imagine this is the first instance where a club promises to pay but fails to deliver.

23. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or just get Reg a ticket on the next thing smoking to Dallas. If there's been no consideration, then the contract wasn't completed.