FCD in USOC

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by 3rd Degree, Jan 29, 2007.

1. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.3rddegree.net/

this will not be a shocking story to some of you, but the USOC format is out and FCD is in as a top 6 from MLS 06 qualifier.

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has the USOC said why they're limiting the number of MLS teams?

To be an "Open Cup", it seems to me that every pro club and "serious" adult amateur club should have a shot at the championship.

Whether they get byes and enter the competition at Round 3.

Or whether they have to win many qualifying stages to merely make Round 1.

3. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Have you actually read the story to understand the new format? MLS teams that don't auto-qualify WILL be going through a qualifying round just like the amateur clubs and USL-2 clubs, etc.

4. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Man, you and Buzz enjoy busting poor Rocket's balz every chance you get. Guys like me and Rocket don't need to read the fine print. That's a nerd's job, ( God bless them).

Vague, unsubstantiated, and highly opinionated statements require creative genius. Can't you guys get that through your thick eggheads?

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was able to read an article on the new format until later that day.

The format seems quite convoluted to me, it almost looks like there are two round 1's and 2's: one for non MLS teams and one for the MLS also-rans from last season.

I guess the reason for it is so that MLS teams can't earn an excessive number of spots in Round 3, but it seems a bit unfair to me. The FA Cup and League Cups, for instance, don't go through such convolutions to make things more "equal" for the small clubs.

7. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Yes, convuloted would be a decent way to describe it.

No, they don't. Do we HAVE to do everything exactly the way they do it in England for soccer fans to accept it? Is anyone else sick of the "but...but...that's not the way they do it in England" complaint? MLS is attempting to lighten fixture load in the summer when a bunch of stuff is going to cause issues.

1. Gold Cup
    2. Copa America
    3. SuperInterLiga of Champions
    4. European friendlies
    5. USOC

By having some teams qualify in April and May, that will lighten the fixture load and player availability issues to some extent. Clearly MLS is sensitive to this issue and they are attempting to relieve some pressure before it builds. Can we give them some credit for that?

8. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think about the logistics of playing those extra games - especially costs and time commitments - and I think you'll have a better idea of why we can't just "do it like the Europeans do it" at the drop of a hat.

Think of it this way - MLS has a budget for its travel costs. In the USOC, how much money do you think they give to the teams to help pay for those costs? Now ask yourself how much it costs to fly a team of, say, 20 (plus coaches and equipment) to, say, Kansas City or vice versa.

Of course, we are dealing with those darn pesty facts and objective conditions again. ;)

9. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like the new format quite a bit since David vs Goliath matchups are usually more interesting than , say, a 3rd round Rapids vs Crew matchup.

However, it is biased a bit against MLS clubs. But if the MLS clubs are happy to go along with it, then that's all that really counts.

10. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Clubs like the New England Revolution that regularly play weak rosters in the first USOC matches and have proven to not give a flip about the tournament? Yeah...they are ALL for it.

Bottom line, would you rather play a few extra rounds of the USOC on Tuesday and Wednesday nights to 4k crowds getting in for free, or would rather use those dates to play Euro clubs here on summer break in front of packed houses for $40 a ticket? Hmmm...that's a toughie.

11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the Fourth Round winners will find out their next opponent at 11 a.m. ET on Thursday, June 7 when U.S. Soccer conducts the Round of 16 Draw, which will reveal the final bracket for the 2018 U.S. Open Cup. The Draw will take place at U.S. Soccer headquarters in Chicago and will be streamed live on ussoccer.com.

Geographic Grouping of Teams Prior to Round of 16 Draw

Midwest Region
    FC Dallas
    Houston Dynamo
    Minnesota United FC
    Sporting Kansas City

East Region
    D.C. United
    NYRB
    Orlando City SC
    Philadelphia Union

West Region
    LA Galaxy
    Los Angeles FC
    Portland Timbers
    Sacramento Republic FC

Mideast Region
    Atlanta United FC
    Chicago Fire
    Louisville City FC
    Nashville SC

12. Sportsfan783

Sportsfan783 Member

FC Dallas
    Oct 8, 2010
    Midland, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol a draw. There is no need for a draw. It s always Houston or SKC away. It seems like KC always plays at home too.

I think the last time FCD won in Kansas was in 2011. So long US open cup.

EricSunRa repped this.
  13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best part of this ✌draw✌ is that it was also for the quarterfinals, too, and the winner of this game goes to the winner of the Houston-MNUFC game.

It's pretty amazing how a ✌random draw✌ always has FCD going to either Kansas or Houston. I mean, what are the odds?

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the odds?

15. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    On the bright side, it's a weekend match, so full strength squads for both teams.

16. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's the spirit!

17. Sportsfan783

Sportsfan783 Member

FC Dallas
    Oct 8, 2010
    Midland, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, its better for my health. Sports are stressful when you have high expectations, so it’s better not to have them.