FC Porto 2017/2018 season thread - A vencer desde 1893 [R]

Discussion in 'FC Porto' started by BatatasFritas, Aug 9, 2017.

1. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Amazing start to the season. A huge 4-0 win vs Estoril.

I can't believe we loaned Marega, Aboubakar and had Brahimi on the bench last season. I didn't watch the game but highlights looked great. Hopefully Soares is fine.

One down, 33 more to go.

2. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Holy crap. I messed up the thread title. Should be:
    FC Porto 2017/2018 season thread - A vencer desde 1893 [R]

Mods?

Anyways, Porto won the 2nd game 1-0 against Tondela. Those guys are hard to break down.

Looks like all the Porto fans are gone

nbstriker8 repped this.
  3. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    I only watched the last 15 minutes so it is hard to comment on the whole game. In those 15 minutes, we struggled with the final pass/throw ball/cross into the box.

The season so far has been interesting.. the players that we loaned out are now featuring heavily. I don't think I've ever seen that at Porto.

4. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I didn't watch the game so I can't comment. It is very interesting that the loaned players are now the main guys. The old methods didn't work so let's see how this plays out.

5. ibbyruns

ibbyruns Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Barcelona
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, as you guys pointed out, nice to see some loans players returning for the better and contributing. Ricardo Pereira has been a beast in France and looks like just what was needed at fullback. Along with how well Telles and Felipe adapted last season, the defence should be solid this season. Hopefully no one comes in for Ricardo before the transfer deadline ends because I remember his release clause being really low. Aboubakar is needed after AS leaving.

Only got to watch the first half yesterday. The team looked out of sorts and had to work hard in the final third, but there are always going to be those ugly 1-0 wins. I didn't love the formation last night, even if it is our best 11. Danilo's amazing, but with only him and Oliver in the middle and Corona and Brahimi both playing pretty far out wide, I feel like we're a bit lightweight in the center. We'll see how it plays out. Anyway, top of the table and hopefully staying there.

6. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We can't rely on Aboubakar, though, he's really irregular and his mental strength is dubious. He can crumble when things don't go his way.

Anyway, a good start of the season but I think we'll struggle at some point, especially in big games.

7. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I couldn't agree more with your view on Aboubakar. I hope Tiquinho Soares is back soon to ease off the load.

8. Jacob Johnson Ramirez

Sep 8, 2014
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Haven't got to see any of the games yet since I've been in school. Where have they been subbing Layun in? Hopefully he can act as a sort of super sub for us. Tecattito needs a break out season. Maybe tiquinho being there will help take pressure of abou. Marega seems a good option in attack as well. We seem to have a team that can grind out wins which is what we lacked the last couple of years.

9. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Another good win. Aboubakar with the hattrick

10. Jacob Johnson Ramirez

Sep 8, 2014
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Abou and soares will hopefully prove to be a great partnership. I've heard worrying news about huge bids coming in for Danilo

11. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I'm surprised Danilo is still on the team. He is Portuguese, young and good, doesn't match the current Porto values.

12. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Not a bad group. All 3 teams are tough but I think we have enough for second place at a minimum. Leipzig is probably the hardest Pot 4 team but they are new to this competition so we shall see.

GROUP G

theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  13. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Most exciting group for me. Wide open.

14. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    RQ returns to Porto.

Jacob Johnson Ramirez repped this.
  15. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    #15 vaiamerda, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    I don't know what to make of this group.
    All 3 opponents are worthy opponents.

Regarding FCP so far. I've been able to watch every game Porto this season, pre season included thanks to the app Mobdro.
    I like what I have seen so far both on and off the field but I'm not convinced yet.
    There's something missing from this team.

SC has been been quite positive so far but we all know that when things start to go wrong, and things will go wrong during the season at some time, SC tends to come apart. But like I said, so far he has been refreshing. I hope I don't regret saying this, but SC is a huge improvement over NES.

As for Abou, how this player was loaned out last year is beyond me. I love everything about this guy.
    This guy is truly um jogador a moda do Porto. We need to extend this man's contract for a future sale even though we own very little of his pass.

As for Ricardo Pereira, what can you say of this player. I don't usually watch Ligue 1 but he has been spectacular.
    His buyout clause is about 25 million if I'm not mistaken, but he's worth much more in my opinion. This guy is gone in a year or two for a big transfer.

Regarding Danilo, there have been no strong rumours about his sale. I just don't see him being sold this year.

Hernani and Layun really have no place on this team. They need to be loaned out as I don't see a market for them. I'm perplexed as to what happened to Layun. I really had high hopes for him. I could say the same for Andre. As much as I hate to say it but his time might be also coming to an end.

16. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    We edged out those pesky Benfica bend overs from Braga by one to nil.

4 out of 4.

17. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    3 pontos Limpos

4 jogos, 4 vitórias, 9 golos marcados 0 sofridos. 4 penaltys por assinalar!
    Xistra did all he could to manufacture a goal for Braga.
    LFV needs to send more emails.

As for the game, I'm quite satisfied with the result.
    Braga didn't have one shot on net if I'm not mistaken.
    To go away to Braga and come away with a 1 to nil result is quite satisfying considering that last year we would have taken a sh it in bed.

Marega was the man of the match. Danilo was huge as always.
    Octavio played much better today.
    Brahimi was solid also.

SC needs to take Felipe aside and tear him a new as shole. Too many mistakes of late.

18. Jacob Johnson Ramirez

Sep 8, 2014
    Club:
    FC Porto
    He needs to give Reyes a chance. Corona with a trademark golazo

19. Jacob Johnson Ramirez

Sep 8, 2014
    Club:
    FC Porto
    If quaresma scores a trivela on us. I will hunt lopetegui down

20. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Huge 3-0 win against those tough transmontanos. Our net has yet to be breached.

21. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    That is on PDC

22. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not a bad start, eh? I'm still not sure we can win the league, especially with the scandalous refereeing going on in Benfica games. I honestly haven't seen anything like this since the Sporting Jardel era.

23. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You misspelled "Apito Dourado"

24. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    You have to admit that in the Sporting Jardel year where he had like 20 PK goals was unbelievable. The PK calls were hilarious. It was only one year and it wasn't Benfica winning the league so it didn't matter, I think even Benfica let it slide. Porto and Boavista fans obviously didn't raise a stink.

Today's colinho era takes the cake though. Something happens in just about every game. You know how much fruta PDC had to buy just to get a PK?

SCP_16 repped this.
  25. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ai Casillas....abre uma churrasqueira na reforma.