FC Kansas City vs Portland Thorns FC July 18, 2014

Discussion in 'KC Current' started by Forgedias, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    rankprev.teampointsgameswinslossesdrawsgoals forgoals againstgoals diff.
    11Seattle Reign FC42161303341321
    22FC Kansas City33171043301713
    33Western New York Flash231778230228
    44Washington Spirit23167722633-7
    55Chicago Red Stars221666421183
    66Portland Thorns FC221666522220
    78Houston Dash161651011929-10
    87Skyblue FC16173771630-14
    99Boston Breakers111731222337-14

The 2 leaders of the league have opened up some space between the pack and so its now a fight for the last 2 play off spots. 4 teams are one point from each other and Houston is making a dash to get into the play off race.

FC Kansas City projected roster:

Goalkeepers: Nicole Barnhart, Sara Keane
    Defenders: Becky Saurbrunn, Nikki Phillips, Leigh Ann Robinson, Amy LePeilbet
    Midfielders: Lauren Holiday, Jen Buczkowski, Jenna Richmond, Frances Silva, Erika Tymrak, Katrina Gorry, Mandy Laddish
    Forwards: Liz Bogus, Amy Rodriguez, Morgan Marlborough, Sarah Hagen

Nia Williams is on the reserve roster and Melissa Henderson has been traded to Houston.

NWSL Injury Report:

OUT: Lauren Holiday (illness)
    DOUBTFUL: None
    QUESTIONABLE: None
    PROBABLE: Nicole Barnhart (right ankle sprain)

Portland Thorns FC projected roster:

Goalkeepers: Nadine Angerer, Michelle Betos
    Defenders: Rachel Van Hollebeke, Nikkie Marshall, Emily Menges, Courtney Niemiec, Stephanie Catley , Katrina Tarr, Sarah Huffman
    Midfielders: Veronica Boquete, Amber Brooks, Allie Long, Tobin Heath, Angie Kerr, Meleana Shim, Sinead Farrelly, Rebecca Moros
    Forwards: Alex Morgan, Christine Sinclair, Jessica McDonald, Jackie Acevado, Elisabeth Sullivan

Jackie Acevado is off to the Mexican National team camp so is unavailable.

NWSL Injury Report:

OUT: None
    DOUBTFUL: None
    QUESTIONABLE: None
    PROBABLE: Katarina Tarr (left lateral meniscus surgery)

Projected Starting XI for FC Kansas City (4-4-2, Box Midfield - 2 Holding midfielders)

[​IMG]

Lauren Holiday will be out for this match after suffering Dehydration the last match and had to be hospitalized. This means a midfielder spot will open up, my hope will be Frances Silva will slot into the starting line up since she adds creativity but Andonovski will be thinking about defense and will more then likely go to Merrit Mattias.

Projected Starting XI for the Portland Thorns FC (4-4-2, Diamond Midfield)

[​IMG]

4-4-2 like they brought out last match. With Boquette, Long and Heath on the roster, expect to see formation more often.

Match Overview:

With Alex Morgan, Vero Boquete and Tobin Heath, many fans would of thought an immediate improvement of form was going to happen but it hasn't happened. Portland in the last 4 matches have picked up 2 draws and 2 losses and have struggled to score goals. Something no one would of figured would of happened with the stars on this roster. Part of that may be not having the necessary time together to gel as a team since these 3 players have missed over half the season with either injuries or playing in Europe. And another reason the individual play by each player on the roster. Right now Boquete is the only midfielder willing to link with the forwards and not enough focus by the team to send the ball through Boquete to create has really hampered the Portland offense.

While Portland may be exhibiting some dysfunctional issues when it comes to their offense, Kansas City on the other hand look to be firing on all cylinders with Sarah Hagen joining the roster. Hagen has a clearly defined role for Kansas City. Hold up and be the target forward and provide interplay with the midfield which she has done with her 2 goals last match, providing space for others to run and getting others involved into the offense as illustrated with goals by Holiday and Tymrak.

The worry for this match, is Lauren Holiday's sickness since she was dehydrated last match and had to be hospitalized and will sit out for this match to recover and recuperate. This means Erika Tymrak will have a big role to push the offense and the Blues will be missing their general. Knowing Andonovski penchant for defense, Merrit Mattias should slot in to provide a safer alternative although the offense would do better with Frances Silva in the line up with her creativity.

Even without Holiday in the line up, I think the struggles with the Portland linking up with their forwards is well documented. With Jenna Richmond and Jenn Buczkowski in the midfield, they should be able to choke off any passes to the forwards and force the play to the touchlines which will suit the Blues fine. So long as they keep the middle clean, they should be able to keep the Portland offense under control and hopefully pick up their 8th win in a row which would beat Seattle's win streak this season.

2. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Bound to screw up somewhere and I put the wrong date up, should be July 13, not 18.

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #3 MRAD12, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    Lauren Holiday is the engine and brains that makes that team go. I am so sorry to hear she is out due to illness. Lauren Cheney and now Holiday has been one of my favorite players since she was in high school in my home state of Indiana.

Hope she will be OK.

I am curious as to how that well oiled midfield will operate without her tonight.
    Will Vlatko start Sarah Hagen again?

4. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a two goal performance, I don't see why he wouldn't.

5. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #5 luvdagame, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    holiday is so crucial to fckc's system that I expect a portland win today. if fckc can tie or win, it will be a great achievement in my view.

also holiday's "illness" may be a euphemism for something more. "dehydration" does not usually keep you out of the following week's game.

so don't be surprised if holiday's absence is extended.

further, this may be vlatko's toughest coaching challenge - how to coach a team without your midfield director being available.

for this reason alone, this game is guaranteed to get my full attention.

(who specifically plays lauren's role? tymrak? interesting)

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weather report from Portland:

Just got back from granddaughter's soccer game -- two lightning delays this morning. Weather forecast calls for 30% chance of rain throughout the day and lightning alerts all day.

Let's hope we get to play!

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We'll see what kind of coach Vlatko is today with his best and key player out. What will be his lineup and strategy?

8. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  9. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    By the the previous article I posted it seems they game planned without Holiday in the picture all week. Tymrak can fill that role and so can Gorry. Id like to see Silva or Mathias get minutes too. But honestly Bogus will probably start. Haha.

Give a good rundown here...as I will be on a flight to Chicago during the game. Terrible timing!

10. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    9' Buczkowski should of finished that shot, was pretty open but mishit it

11. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ouch Alex Morgan scores wide open in the box from Catley 15' Kansas City needs to sub in Frances Silva and take out Gorry, she hasn't been good in the middle, Tymrak has to take over the middle and keep Silva on the wings.

12. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    28' Morgan almost scores another goal, hits the cross bar.

13. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    29' Rodriguez sends a pass to the open side and Gorry runs onto it and is open for a 1v1 and shoots and scores.

14. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    33' Rodriguez just misses scoring a goal from Hagen who sends a pass right in front of the net. So close.

15. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    36' just outside the box, Sinclair fires a rocket shot, beats barnhart and hits the cross bar.

16. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    37' Hagen with a beautiful one touch pass to a running Gorry who would get wide open and just miss the net with her shot.

17. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    43' Long scores on a brutal turn over by Buczkowski. What was Buczkowski thinking? Such a sloppy mistake

18. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Some very bad defending by the Blues this half, and its safe to say Portland had most of the possession this half over Kansas City. Part of that is Katrina Gorry who had a ton of turn overs in the middle. Was getting bullied by bigger players and just getting pushed to the ground and losing the ball. Gorry would have a better send part of the half, scoring a goal and getting more chances, but she doesn't have Lauren Holiday's ability to avoid tackles and hold onto the ball. A big part of the reason why Portland had so many run of the play was the inability of Gorry to keep the ball.

19. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Menges has enough speed at LB to shut down Robinson and Robinson is driving long balls into the box. Moros is playing better than I thought. Brooks is a more of a brute than skill. I wish Vlat would take out ARod and put in Silva.

20. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    I also hope Riley screws this up somehow. I mean, what kind of bad luck does KC have if Riley finally wises up and plays Menges at LB, takes out McDonald, and plays Brooks. Ally is a terible DM, and he even pushed up Long, which is her better spot.

21. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    51' ugh LePeilbet allowed a dummied ball through and gives Sinclair a wide open look who almost scored.

22. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    62' Allie Long turns of LePeilbet and scores in the box. Some very bad defending by LePeilbet. She had position but got turned, and like last match, she is getting exposed with this play.

23. MTay

MTay Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Where were the other defenders on that play? Watching but not helping.

24. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    There is nothing they could do, once Long received the ball, she turned on LePeilbet and then she was open in the box. Now way Sauerbrunn could recover from that.

25. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    71; Sometimes I question what goes on in Robinson's head, she gets around her mark and she decides to shoot from outside the box? Send a through ball in and get runners into the box.