FC Kansas City Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually if they ask that, it's a pretty bright red flag, and you should probably end the interview and say thanks but no thanks.

2. MuddyPitch

MuddyPitch Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No reason not to drag her out to a bunch of appearances, at least. If she's accessible, she's at least as valuable to the team as she would be on the field. If it's a multi-year contract, all the better for her when she returns.

3. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Good call...let her be an ambassador for soccer in the community. Her and Dom at events will charm the socks off of anyone I think.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Two games at Mercy this year.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another blow for FCKC, Jen Buczkowski is retiring on the 13th to go to college at KU med

6. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    @Fiosfan was there some FCKC content in that? Anyone in the background of a scene in an FCKC jersey? Anything?

Yeah! Like we're all proud of all things Kansas City here, but if there was any relevance to FCKC, I missed it.

8. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I assume he thought it was the Sporting KC catch all thread, which is exactly where that video would belong. Fairly innocent mistake. Unless it's some evil cunning...

9. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if this is the right place for this, but does anyone know if the USWNT will have an open practice this week before their match Friday night? My daughter is a HUGE USWNT fan and those practices are typically a great way to meet players and get autographs. Thanks for any info.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they're training at CMP Thursday, but I don't see anything about fan availability.

11. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info! I'll look into this and hope they open it up to fans.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But correct. The trendy social media friendly "equal pay for equal play" skips over a few inconvenient facts:

The USWNTPA collectively bargained for their compensation package.

The WNT package is weighted towards the wishes of the union, just like the MNT is weighted towards the wishes of that union. The women draw a salary, get maternity leave, and they get separation pay at the end of their contract. The men maximize appearance money. When the WNTPA points out they don't get paid when they lose, they ignore the fact that they get a salary and get paid even when they don't play.

Furthermore the WNTPA "equal pay" mantra seems to exclude all of the American players in NWSL. By contract with USSF, no American player in the NWSL can make more than the lowest paid WNTPA contracted player.

Sounds bad enough on its own, but when you consider the WNTPA players have generally missed 1/3 to 1/2 of each of the last two NWSL seasons while drawing their full NWSL salary, that contracted difference in pay is even less defensible.

USSF just just offer the WNTPA the exact same contract signed by the MNTPA. Equal is equal, right?

No salary, only paid when called up, no preferential treatment with regards to NWSL.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. oldntired

oldntired Member

May 3, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I watched FCKC play KU in a spring game. Pretty big crowd. Refs, music, etc. KU in their normal uniforms. FCKC in mismatched shorts. T-shirts with no numbers or names. They were all the same color at least. They were clearly the better team, but they were dressed worse than most rec teams. Amy Rodriques was wearing warm up pants during the game. Somebody told me that's how they did it last year as well. But to me its a missed opportunity. I knew 3 or 4 players buy sight, but mostly I had no idea who anyone ones. There were a couple of players who caught my eye, and I might follow them in the future, but I have no clue who they were. There were a ton of little girls there, so there was a chance to make some new fans. But they certainly didn't look cool, and I wonder if someone who didn't know that they are a good team would take them seriously. I hope they can get some unis before next week.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Man, that sucks. Really disappointing the way things have transpired off the field. Really disappointing how SKC didn't get themselves involved.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think, with zero insider knowledge this time, that SKC is interested, just 1) not ready at this time with all the other projects they're working on (SPR, the NCTC) not to mention Neil's passing and 2) probably not interested in wading into this (FCKC) particular mess.

Once they get SPR where they want facility-wise, and the new training center up and running, I could see them turn their attention back to the NWSL. Let's be honest. The Swope Park stadium isn't really designed to meet either men's D2 or women's D1 standards. There's no real parking and the stadium is too small.

Portland can play men's D1 and D2 and women's D1 at Providence Park because turf. CMP is pretty much always going to be Sporting only with infrequent special appearances by SPR or other teams.

I remember OnGoal folks showing up at WPS drafts from 2009 on. I was surprised when FCKC launched as an independent club in 2013 knowing that SKC had been lurking in the shadows.

I would expect SKC to eventually pull the trigger. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later. But I survived 13 1/2 years between the Carolina Courage and the North Carolina Courage. It should be that long in KC.

20. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, from what I've read, that seems to be SKC's side of story. I agree with you - I think once this all blows over and SKC get their ducks in a row, they'll eventually try to get a new NWSL franchise in KC. Still sucks to lose a two-time champion franchise, though.

[sarcasm]My biggest hope is that next time around, with SKC at the helm, they land on franchise name marketing gold: The Sporting Bras.[/sarcasm]

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I always figured you were an athletic supporter!

But seriously, I'd love them to just call an NWSL team "Sporting Kansas City". Full stop. Let other people sort it out.

22. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe its just me sulking in the loss of the best activity that I shared with my daughter, but I don't share the optimism about SKC getting involved on the women's side. If they were going to do it, now was the time.

Comets came very very close to folding. FCKC leaves. SPR is what it is. Might be time to revisit the self proclaimed "soccer capital" title.

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    As someone who keenly felt the loss of the original Carolina Courage, I feel your pain.

But I don't see that "now was the time" for the stated reasons.

USSF seems to be trying to phase out sanctioning waivers, or at least steadily limit them.

The Swope Park facility is not up to Women's D1 (or Men's D2 for SPR) standards.

For all the reasons in my prior post, I understand why SKC isn't ready at this time.

Kansas City has never had a decent second option for professional soccer. We saw that over the last couple of decades when the Wizards weren't able to play USOC games at Arrowhead. We saw it when KCW ended up having to pay a ton of money to make CAB barely usable for soccer when Arrowhead became unavailable. We saw it as FCKC went from one sub-standard home field to the next over the last five years. Swope Park is nice and all, but it's not really a good home for the level the team is at.

And SKC already has SPR in that same problem. Adding FCKC would just be another issue.

I'm hopeful that once the new training center is done, that SKC turns its attention to shoring up SPR and hopefully bringing back an NWSL team.