FC Groningen [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by BrianCappellieri, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    it will be the max for the stadium I think, and if Groningen (like Heerenveen and twente) can continue this grow, it could prove too small again in a couple of years, perhaps? also, its not 40+ which I think is a WC requirement?

2. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, you are right, it is the stadium's maximum capacity. To realise 35k they're going to have to drill an extra supporting structure through the current building (forgive the non-technical jargon). As you might imagine there are 'indian stories' about polls being positioned smack in the middle of the movie theatre that is part of the complex. A further additional expansion of the stadium seems to be absolutely impossible, or too costly by far.

I hope of course 35k will prove too small in the end, but I think it won't, as long as they build enough hospitality areas. It is the latter especially that have proven to be too small for the club.

They have pretty much given up on the WC in Groningen. (44k is the minimum, hence Heerenveen's plan to build a 44k stadium) Very few people here think it is sensible to build a stadium for three matches only. I tend to agree with that. IMO It is better to have a waiting list, than to end up with a stadium that is sold out only 2 to 3 times per year. The former enforces season ticket holder loyalty, whereas the latter breeds 'mooi weer supporters'.

3. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

"Hoeperdepoep zat op de stoep, en laten we vrolijk wezen!"

At least until the Ajax away game - I mean they got two weeks to think of all sorts of horrible ways to redeem themselves after today!! Heerenveen is never helping..

4. Kung-dea

Kung-dea New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    You should definately check out Robin Söder, born 91, he´s way ahead of what marcus was at the same age and has made a serious impact on the swedish first division this year, playing for IFK Gothenburg just as Marcus was even though he has made his debut earlier and also scored a lot of goals in league and in the champions league qualification.

5. psv88

psv88 New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Some Italian websites is reporting that PSV want Berg for 17 million Euros...anyone hear anything?

6. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Don't know, but the number agrees with me!

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Strikje d'rom en toedeledokie for that kind of money!

8. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You bet!

9. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sad story about Paul Matthijs BTW. I think he was one of the team's mainstays for a long time and he deserves much, much better.

BTW. This is my only feat somewhat relating to professional football. A long time ago during an A-level match I was Matthijs' marker when he was passed a ball with his back to the goal some 75 ft from the goal. He quickly turned away and tried to pass me but was brutally struck in the groin by the knee of yours truly. He had to be carried from the pitch. Sad, sad, story. Didn't even get booked...

A wise lesson for every aspiring talent: Beware of hopelessly mediocre players like me.

10. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like you were Serie A material!

11. FCGrunn