FC Gold Pride folding

Discussion in 'FC Gold Pride' started by NorthbankHighbury, Oct 31, 2010.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sponsors looks at ticket sales data, too.

2. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    WPS finds saving grace? (yahoo sports)

3. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This news doesn't help us, if we save the team we want to be a LOCAL team,not a team from the LA area. :(

4. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars

While it would hurt for local fans to see the team move, there would be a lot more fans coming out in LA. I think right now we just want the team to survive. However if they moved, you'd think season tix holders wouldn't be the happiest.

5. SalsaVerdeFC

SalsaVerdeFC New Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just what smurf said, this will do us no good nor will it do good for most of the youth here, like my daughter, who look up to Pride players.

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  7. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. soccersarah

soccersarah Member

Oct 23, 2002
  9. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I am Deeply Saddened to see this news which I don't doubt will be confirmed later in the week. It casts a pall over what would otherwise be a fun NCAA women's soccer weekend...

My sincere sympathy to the members of the organization who worked very hard to make this team viable; to the players who now face an uncertain future; and to the loyal Bay Area fans who are losing this exceptional team! In hindsight, it is easy to see things that might have been done differently, and I'm sure in days to come there will be plenty of second-guessing... I would just like to thank everyone for doing the best they knew how to do. I wish the outcome could have been different, but it is easy to see how a $5 million dollar loss in two years could overwhelm even the best of intentions.

This years FCGP was, IMO, the best women's side to ever play the game. It was a pleasure to watch them take the pitch, as well as an example of what the women's game may become with support and time. Thanks to everyone who made that experience possible! Best of luck.

10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be more saddened if they hadn't done it to themselves. Moving the team to Hayward and buying the most expensive woman player in on the planet were both stupid and ultimately costly moves. Marta has once again proven to have the kiss of death.

11. SalsaVerdeFC

SalsaVerdeFC New Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said!

13. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    Sometimes a team has to make some risky moves...Sometimes they work out...Sometimes they don't work out...That has always been the case.

I don't blame FCGP for making those "risky" moves...

14. Akers4ever

Akers4ever New Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride

No doubt. Marta was a giant reason that team was great. Season 1 FCGP wasn't just last, they were the worst - painful to watch. Props to the owners and front office for realizing a winning team/good product is paramount. Besides, Amway subsidized a big chunk of her contract and FCGP had Marta working a soccer clinic it seemed like 2 and 3 times a week all over the Bay Area. Can you imagine Landon putting forth that kind of face time with the community?

Now the move to Hayward... yeah, that might not have been the best idea ever. Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sure when the realization came, they were already locked in for the season.

I am greatly saddened to lose the Gold Pride. Many thanks to the NeSmiths and the organization that gave it their all.

15. SubakL

SubakL New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    My 9 year old daughter, [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Lola, and her SF United Blast teammates wrote this anthem in hopes of saving the FC Gold Pride. Three Gold Pride players came out to kick around with them.

Please view their YouTube video at [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXbZtuNwi9k"]YouTube - Save the FC Gold Pride YouTube[/ame] <[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXbZtuNwi9k"]YouTube - Save the FC Gold Pride YouTube[/ame]>

The FC Gold Pride had a championship season; coming from last place to win the league. The 2010 Gold Pride roster includes seven women also playing on national teams in contention for the 2011 Women's World Cup. The Gold Pride is as good as women's soccer gets!
    How can a championship team fold after just two seasons? Without new investors, the FC Gold Pride will not meet the league capital call and will fold next week.

Who will be the role models for Lola, Caitlin, Kyra and thousands of girls just like them growing up strong and powerful playing soccer? What message are we sending to these girls that a team of this caliber cannot find support in the Bay Area?

If you care about women's soccer, great soccer, a Bay Area team, the Gold Pride, and inspiring strong
    girls everywhere, please help us spread the word -- and take action.

-Send this video to all your friends
    -Buy season tickets NOW. Call 888-541-3511 or go to www.FCGoldPride.com <http://www.fcgoldpride.com/> . Season tickets
    start at $120 and are refundable if the team does not play in 2011.
    -Think of anyone you know who could be a potential investor

GO GOLD PRIDE!!!!!![/FONT]

16. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    I will also be very sad to hear of the Gold Pride's demise. But I will also be more than a bit perturbed at the NeSmiths, not BECAUSE they are folding, but because of their end of the season rant about what happened in St. Louis and with Jeff Cooper - and now this!!!??

17. TittleTums

TittleTums Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    The difference is that the NeSmith's had a long term vision for the team, but Cooper didn't care at all about the ladies league.

I think their hearts were in the right place, but poor decisions and lack of fan support did them in. You can't ask people to just throw millions of dollars away.

18. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    I didn't say I was surprised they were folding. And I've not heard publicly that they've lost $6 mil., but I'm not surprised about that either. BUT, at the end of the season when they reamed Jeff Cooper for shutting down St. Louis for not having the $$ they also knew they had lost $6 mil over 2 years, yet the led us to believe they were on solid ground. They probably should have just kept their mouths shut about it.

19. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I want to say that I was touched by Lola and her buddies repping for FCGP! I further think it is great that the FCGP gals are so engaged with the youth soccer community, and such good singers too! ;)

:( I wonder, do Bill and Melinda Gates have a child on this youth team? If not, why is FCGP using G2001s as the spokes-people for their team's salvation? I salute the team for making the video, but I question the GM's decision to post it independently. They are looking for money; I'm not wrong about that? Is there not a single female finance executive in CA who believes today's competive sports programs builds tomorrow's female leaders? That's who would get me digging into my checkbook!

This is a Big Part of why FCGP is gonna hit the tank this week. For all their good intentions, you do not build a professional sports program by marketing its benefits to the lives of 9 year olds. Its a pro league. I think the lesson here is: Be pro or die.

20. soccersarah

soccersarah Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Interesting interview on WPS at the end of this article.
    http://www.soccer365.com/us_news/story_151110154310.php

Also, this notice was posted today on the women's professional soccer facebook page

"Look for an update on the 2011 WPS Season at womensprosoccer.com tomorrow."

21. TittleTums

TittleTums Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Yeah, I agree with you, I don't understand why they made public declarations that they were committed to the league, it's probably best to keep quiet about a team's finances.

Still, I don't equate the NeSmiths to Jeff Cooper. I believe that the NeSmith's were interested in developing women's soccer in the Bay Area, while Jeff Cooper was never really committed to the league at all. FCGP ran academies and were interested in forming a true football club, it sucks that the NeSmith's great vision was unable to be realized. They made mistakes, but I don't think you should ever doubt their commitment to league.

I think women's professional soccer in North America is doomed without a owners with WAY deep pockets.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. SalsaVerdeFC

SalsaVerdeFC New Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder why they didn't get an extension or were not granted one ? Or did they even apply for one ? :(

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they reportedly have someone at least sort of interested in investing with the Red Stars. There was no interest in the Bay Area.

The official announcement is at 10am from what I'm reading.

25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States