PBP: FC Barcelona v Olympique Loynnais | UEFA Champions League R16 - 2nd Leg | 13 March 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #1 Viscaelbarca, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wednesday, 13 March 2019
    BARCELONA TIME

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CAMP NOU
    B A R C E L O N A

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PREVIOUS MEETINGS

[​IMG]

UCL 19-02-2019 FT Lyon 0 : 0 Barcelona

UCL 11-03-2009 FT Barcelona 5 : 2 Lyon

UCL 24-02-2009 FT Lyon 1 : 1 Barcelona
    UCL 27-11-2007 FT Lyon 2 : 2 Barcelona
    UCL 19-09-2007 FT Barcelona 3 : 0 Lyon
    UCL 23-10-2001 FT Lyon 2 : 3 Barcelona

[​IMG]

VISCAELBARCA

inswinger, Gilmango, celito and 2 others repped this.
  2. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Imagine the shitstorm everywhere if Barca crash out. In this years CL anything can happen. No messing about go for the kill and get it over with quickly.

I just hope Craperto won't start.

3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    3 yellow cards = 1 UEFA match suspension

Semedo enters this match carrying two yellow cards.

Gilmango repped this.
  4. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
  5. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    We gotta show some serious killer instinct. If for one second the players simply expect to win, this will be ugly. This Lyon match really scares me not gonna lie.

ShortyMac repped this.
  6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    :laugh:
    He's definitely starting. We need goals.

celito repped this.
  7. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, as I said when predicting the Rayo lineup, I thought that whichever of Semedo or Roberto started vs. Rayo, the other one would start vs. Lyon. I predicted Semedo would start that one, and Roberto against Lyon, Semedo did start vs. Rayo and I'll stick with that logic, which means Roberto would start in the "gala once".

However, with Dembele now a doubt we have several different scenarios if Dembele cannot go:

In a 4-3-3, there are just two options, direct replacement for Dembele is Malcom, but he's rarely played; more likely is Coutinho.

Or, in a 4-4-2, we can replace Dembele with a 4th mid (rather than a forward) either Vidal, who is enjoying a great run of form, or with Roberto (which allows Semedo to start at RB).

Or any of those 4 can get the 11th start in Dembele's absence if we play a hybrid of the 2, the 4-2-3-1.

To be clear the "gala once" at the moment is ter Stegen, one of Roberto or Semedo, Pique, Lenglet, Alba; Raki, Busi, Arthur; Messi, Suarez, Dembele. Se we are talking about Dembele being replaced by either Coutinho, Malcom, Vidal, or both of Roberto and Semedo (Semedo gets a start he otherwise maybe would not at RB, and Roberto plays further up).

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lyon has shown to be a capable team this season based on beating Man City and PSG. I doubt complacency will be a factor. With no goals scored in France, If Lyon scores a goal (at 0 x 0 specially) it will already complicates things. As proven last week, anything can happen and we all know Barca's weaknesses.

A good sign is that in the 1st leg, the performance was good and it seems like the only thing missing was the goal. So if the same story repeats itself, there is a good chance of going through.

Gilmango repped this.
  9. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Me thinks 4-4-2 would work well without Dembele. Or maybe 4-1-3-2...

MATS
    Semedo Pique Lenglet Alba
    Busquets
    Rakitic Arthur Coutinho
    Messi Suarez

10. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would sign off on that lineup for sure, but I fear that Roberto starts this game, so unless he plays midfield (unlikely unless we play a 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, or 4-1-3-2, and even then I'd prefer Vidal as extra mid, or Coutinho, Malcom, or Dembele as winger/mid hybrid) I don't think Semedo gets the start.

But if Dembele cannot go I do think Coutinho is most likely to get a start and I hope either he or Suarez can break out of their respective slumps and score (Coutinho in an overall scoring drought, since October, whereas Suarez is "just" in a CL scoring drought, though he has scored a couple goals at home already, but never scores on the road).

My prediction without Dembele:

MATS
    Roberto Pique Lenglet Alba
    Rakitic Busquets
    Arthur Messi Coutinho
    Suarez
    If Dembele can play he starts instead of Coutinho and Arthur moves to left, Dembele to right.

11. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    That's not a bad lineup too. If Roberto plays defense like he did in the Liga Clasico I'm not worried about his selection one bit.

12. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barcablaugranes says there are 3 choices to replace Dembele, no mention of Vidal:

Valverde has three options.

Philippe Coutinho
    The club’s record signing was a sure starter in the opening months of the season but since, his level has dropped while Dembélé’s has risen. Coutinho has been struggling for form as of late, but Valverde has opted to continue giving him minutes with the hopes that he’ll be out of his funk soon. Coutinho lacks the pure pace of Dembélé but he is known for his trickery, final pass, and long-distance shooting.

Malcom
    Malcom was Barcelona’s most expensive signing last summer, and he is the one with the most experience playing against this Lyon side. The Brazilian was signed from Bordeaux, a team which never lost against Lyon when Malcom played. He has struggled for minutes this season, but Valverde has used him at opportune moments. He’s done the most to maximize his chances from his spare appearances, notably scoring a late goal against Inter Milan and a key equalizer in the Copa del Rey against Real Madrid. Will Valverde show his confidence in the youngster?

Sergi Roberto and Nélson Semedo
    Another option for Valverde is to change the team a bit and move Sergi Roberto from right-back and put Nélson Semedo in his stead. Roberto started the first leg against Lyon in midfield with Semedo at right-back. Roberto can operate as a winger to retain the 4-3-3 shape, or he can slot into a midfield spot in a 4-4-2 system. Roberto and Semedo have gained Valverde’s trust, but is this plan too conservative given the first leg resu

13. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    we will win 3-0;)

14. Umm I just play FIFA

Barcelona
    Philippines
    Jan 11, 2018
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I think we will need an actual winger to open things up cause the 4-1-3-2 or whatever it looked like was just too tight.

Sad for Coutinho, but we haven't seen a lot of his trickery, final pass, or even his infamous long-distance shooting as of late. I'm not sure what more he'd bring as a starter. Hopefully if no one can show it, then he can...after 60-70 minutes, after which we can hope there will be some space for him to try his patented long-distance shooting.

Malcom has shown to be kind of Dembele-lite; even though he's not the two-footed monster D is, the on-field creativity tends to flow from whereever he is as he showed in the Copa. He's also the one whose shown to score late crucial goals in his limited time.

Malcom po' favo'.

evil_allan repped this.
  15. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was positive news for Barcelona on Tuesday evening as Ousmane Dembele was able to participate in the team's final training session ahead of their Champions League last 16 second leg against Lyon, with the Frenchman making the 20-man squad list for the match.

He was a doubt after suffering an injury during Saturday's win over Rayo Vallecano, but the fact he was able to train meant he made the list.

He in NOT YET medically cleared and may not be, so he could still be left out of the final 18-man squad, though.

The complete squad is as follows: Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Jasper Cillessen, Nelson Semedo, Gerard Pique, Clement Lenglet, Jeison Murillo, Jordi Alba, Sergi Roberto, Samuel Umtiti, Ivan Rakitic, Sergio Busquets, Philippe Coutinho, Arthur, Arturo Vidal, Carles Alena, Luis Suarez, Lionel Messi, Ousmande Dembele, Malcom and Kevin-Prince Boateng.

16. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Dembele or no Dembele, please please please don't choke tomorrow!:)

ShortyMac repped this.
  17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Since the situation is so desperate up front, why not consider playing Roberto as a forward? He does make good , cutting runs and tends to produce in CL/big matches. That way we can still have Semedo in defense to minimize the possibility of conceding an away goal.

18. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    MATS
    Semedo - Pique - Langlet - Alba
    Busquets
    Rakitic - Arthur
    Messi
    Malcom - Suarez​

evil_allan repped this.
  19. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This should be the ideal formation given the injuries but i'm 100% sure that Craperto and Craptinho will start and we will struggle to score , i just hope that Messi will have a good day because if he doesn't we are screwed :unsure:

Gilmango repped this.
  20. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    as long as its home game, we wont choke

unclesox repped this.
  21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Show of confidence pre-game ? How dare you sir !

22. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    its camp nou man, we wont choke here. and its ucl, away games are our problem, not home games

unclesox repped this.
  23. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Messi better show up! We can call Roma last year a fluke but if that shit happens again then he and every other player should be held accountable. Yes Valverde can be blamed to some extent but it's still up to the players to perform.

Anyways I do believe! Let's bury these guys... then Juve next.

24. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
  25. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Very nervous about tonight , think we will need to score a minimum of 2 goals as I doubt we will keep a clean sheet.