PBP: FC Barcelona v Olympique Loynnais | UEFA Champions League R16 - 1st Leg | 19 February 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    This is correct IMO. I totally agree. For example if LPB ran into us the last 3 years in the CL, we would knock them out.

unclesox repped this.
  2. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Firmino is born to be a Barca CF ..

3. Umm I just play FIFA

Barcelona
    Philippines
    Jan 11, 2018
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I can understand the difference in mentality between the domestic and cup season/knockout rounds. I agree that it's two different beasts.

I just think this debate about prioritizing CL and/or Domestic is more fascinating because I'm just so accustomed to the American sports particularly the NBA. Like with the Warriors a few seasons ago, they kept saying '73-9 don't mean a thing without a ring.' I'm like, 'really?' As a big Chicago Bulls fan (family from there) growing up and following their 72-win season, I remember being nervous until they won that game 6 and clinched campeonato cuatro con este Miguel Yordan.

I'm not saying CL is more important, but I'm just saying the world of sports from peewee league to professional that I came up on (and likely a lot of younger posters might've come up on) has kinda emphasized "playoffs" and "championships" in a way that has completely disregarded the efforts of the regular seasons.

I actually like this emphasis on the domestic season.

But yeah, growing up in America has kinda hardwired me towards craving shiny beautiful trophies. I want our Barcelona to show endurance throughout the season, but also be the best on those certain days when its time to play, too.

4. Varnagel

Varnagel Member+

Nothing
    Sweden
    Jun 4, 2017
    In fairness Benz is 4th highest scorer in Champions League history with 60 goals.

He may even surpass Raúl before hanging up his boots.

During this season, Benzema has scored 4 CL-goals in 7 games.

For comparison, Suárez has scored 4 CL-goals in 25 games since 16/17.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree. Styles make fights and that's more pronounced in Cups.

Could be. But there was definitely a really cool atmosphere in those games. We have the Cup nowadays but it's just different. One year Santos (with Robinho just breaking out) qualified as 8th seed into the KO rounds and they ended up being champions :ROFLMAO: ... that's the downside. Made for a great story though.

6. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    To be fair, in terms of goal ratio , Benzema and Raul aint in same league as Messi, CR , Stefano and Nistelrooy. They just happen to play so many matches there, thus giving them many chances to score. The same with Ibra.