PBP: FC Barcelona v Olympique Loynnais | UEFA Champions League R16 - 1st Leg | 19 February 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Feb 17, 2019.

1. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Atlético should be considered the only contender, not Real. Liverpool, Utd and Spurs are also PL contenders and the fight is pretty tight this time. Plus, the level of physicality in that league is annoying which makes it harder to score goals even against small PL teams.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    We're going O/T but the facts don't back you up. Look at City and Liverpool's goal difference compared to anyone in La Liga. And the same for the bottom teams.

La Liga is far more balanced.

3. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Plus this is the first time since 2008-09 season, Real have lost 7 games.

4. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #79 JoCryuff98, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    With this squad we should able to win it even if Suarez is garbage currently. Real won a damn 3 peat with Benzema around. Hell, winning the treble isn’t a big stretch considering our midfield and defense is sorted out. Valverde doesn’t seem ambitious at all and there’s no pressure because Bartomeu backs him even if he doesn’t win any trophies. We don’t play good football and we’re also not an intimidating team anymore. I don’t think Barca will win the CL even if De Bruyne was our key midfielder. This shit tier mentality and manager should be changed.

5. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    When your main striker has scored 1 goal in 17 CL games then we are always going to be up against it. And we have alternative .

Bada Bing repped this.
  6. Umm I just play FIFA

Barcelona
    Philippines
    Jan 11, 2018
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I watched both games, and they were entirely different situations.

I do agree that Sergi Roberto as a midfielder didn't offer a ton of creativity. Nelson Semedo has been looking a LOT MORE assured as our right back; I repeat the dude doesn't lose the ball, and if he does, he wins it back pretty quickly.

Against Roma they were tired, perhaps a little cocky with a 3 goal lead. Roma were using 5 in the midfield to try and swing things their way. They were overpowering us inside and landing dangerous crosses all game. EV did nothing to absorb any of that danger until it was too late. The offense had no thrust to it whatsoever.

Against Lyon, there was thrust, but also hurried finishing in very tight spaces. Our own countering against their careless possession.

Our three forwards were trying to play too fast and loose especially in the 1st half; just ended up losing possession or taking a non-threatening shot. In the 2nd half, I don't remember ever seeing any Lyon midfielder let our guys get behind them at all. Dembele was rusty and a bit out of sync, but he was still the main creative force.

During our slower possessions, I didn't really like how Messi and Suarez were both in the center; their positioning didn't really create much space, except for the space that Roberto should've taken advantage of. Either Messi needs to stay on the right with Suarez or if he's going to be central, put him in flanked by both Dembele and one of Coutinho/Malcom. I think the criticism of EV being too conservative is dead on when it comes to stubbornly sticking with Suarez in a way that he doesn't with the younger, fresher, less senior players.

afar repped this.
  7. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    so now la liga is shit???

unclesox repped this.
  8. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    based on what?

9. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    That was supposed to say SKILL levels not SKIP :)

My point is that the bottom teams in the EPL are more likely to get a result against the top teams .. but the levels of skill aren’t anywhere near as good as in La Liga imho

10. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Err Liverpool and Spurs plus a resurgent ManU who have won about nine out of their last 11 games or something.. even Arsenal and Chelsea aren’t too far behind ...you’ve surely heard of the ‘top six’ ...

View attachment 148997

11. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Stay on topic! Stop comparing PL with Liga to justify CL, who cares. The topic is EV doesn't have what it takes to be a CL winner. He's a cautious coward with no winning mentality. He and Bartomeu are a curse! They have no vision!

evil_allan repped this.
  12. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In last 35 years, EPL team only won CL 4 times and UEFA/Europa cup 3 times. Definetely overrated no matter how you twist it.

evil_allan repped this.
  13. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Winning the UCL is greater though. The club should be ambitious instead of being content with only league titles. Barca is a powerhouse and we need to win more UCLs and surpass LPB’s record. That’s just my opinion anyways because I absolutely despise being a loser and as a Barca fan I hate it when Real fanboys troll us.

14. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    At least someone agrees with me. Winning league titles with a world class team doesn’t make him top class manager if he doesn’t win the UCL. Come on we shouldn’t underestimate ourself and expect us to only win La Liga every single season even with someone unambitious like Valverde.

15. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    who came up with this rule?

16. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    personally I feel this obsession with the UCL is truly toxic.

17. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    I hope not

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Millennials.

evil_allan, condor11 and unclesox repped this.
  19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's a spam account.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree Coutinho should have come in for SR yesterday. That may have worked yesterday, but I can tell you that's probably not going to work vs stronger teams either as Coutinho doesn't provide good enough defense. Yesterday we weren't missing midfield, it was the front 3 that didn't deliver. We can have Arthur back and play our (theoretically) strongest mid of Rakitic (Alena for the haters), Busquets and Arthur ... but if the front 3 can't deliver, we are simply screwed.

I'd definitely love for Semedo to do more on offense to balance things out and not have Alba be the only one giving support to the offense. Right we are trying to much through the middle and most of the time not using width correctly.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I do hope Suarez pulls off a Benzema or Bale ... suck for all year and then provide a big goal deep into the CL. And for us deep right now starts in the QF.

22. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Why do you think it’s toxic? So are you implying we should be happy even if Barca doesn’t win the biggest club competition trophy which we haven’t for 4 years

puyol repped this.
  23. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I mean labelling me as a “spam account” for being ambitious is a bit insulting

24. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand

Its toxic when fans can't seem to enjoy winning domestic titles at all.

evil_allan repped this.
  25. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I’m proud of that accomplishment, but we got to focus on something bigger. Here I am being labelled as a “spam account” for being a bit passionate *smh*. I thought the Barca fans here were decent.