Favre resigns

Discussion in 'Borussia Moenchengladbach' started by panicfc, Sep 20, 2015.

1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we have a thread about the resignation of Lucien Favre.

1) He turned in his resignation to Max Eberl.

2) Eberl rejected it.

3) Favre went to the media saying he resigned.

Now my speculation is...

Favre did not want to work with Eberl any longer and that is why he went to the press.

2. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don'tbelieve it's anything like this. He was speechless in the press conference after the Sevilla and Cologne matches. If you have no answers and no believe how can you change a crisis like that?

In the end it seems that he just wasn't able to continue. I don't think it has anything to do with Eberl, there is not a single hint for that and imo we shouldn't speculate out of nowhere.

Hopefully Favre's resign is the storm that blows the players' heads free. Otherwise this could very well turn even uglier.

Possible candidates: Schaaf, Slomka, Di Matteo, Heynckes (until winter break/signing of a new coach)

Fiction: Klopp

3. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As you can imagine i am in a state of coma right now:speechless::speechless::speechless:
    Is this why we love football and addicted to it...do you see such ups and downs in any other sport???
    I mean wow...these players and this management was inseparable from Favre and vice versa...this will remain one of the biggest mysteries in the Buli i m o...:whistling::speechless::speechless::speechless:
    I like your fiction option the most....if not who better than our very own Don Jupp:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Man i was so happy we gots someone like Favre at the helm and if anyone its him to clean this mess up!
    This resignation is the mirror image of his arrival at Gladbach and the results and euphoria he created for club and the fans...only in REVERSE ( Harsh ) :speechless:

4. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    It's like when your house-sit for a friend and say 'please leave the place in the same condition as when your came' :whistling:

I wonder what Jens Keller is up to these days o_O

5. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For sure most fans would wish Klopp as the next coach but if you think about it there are very few points why this should happen.

First I am not aware of a special link between the club and Jürgen Klopp, I've never read anything. So this is not really a personal question at all. He even may feel robbed because we achieved that CL spot they were still dreaming about in february.

Second he was annoyed by the need of BVB to sell players year in year out such as Sahin, Lewandowski, Götze, Kagawa. This would be even more so at Gladbach.

Third personal ambitions and I don't speak of salary here. What can be achieved with Gladbach? A CL spot and a DFB Pokal at the very most. These are not the goals a manager like Klopp sets for, doesn't he? With BVB he took over a sleeping giant, with Gladbach he would take over a faltering "giant" that just reached the almost highest possible standards. And then on top of all of it he would work in the long shadow of almighty Favre.

I didn't even write about salary or offers of international clubs.

Conclusion: even if it would be a mistake to not ask him in the current situation this won't happen. It just won't.

More interesting for me is, will Jupp Heynckes be able/willed to took over until Gladbach can sign a well suiting coach as long term solution in winter or after the season instead of some random hire and fire guy who will only hurt the team even more?

HANS-GUNTER BRUNS repped this.
  6. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    14:00 ECT is a press conference
    Fohlen.tv will broadcast it for free!

What a nailbaiter.. ugh

7. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Keller is good...but not sure if his right for VFL
    Jupp seems like the best alternative at the moment:eek::confused::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::unsure::whistling::thumbsdown:

8. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  9. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My weakness for Sci- Fi leans towards Klopp...but in reality the fact is he would never consider Gladbach and i agree with your points!
    Jupp is homegrown and lives in Gladbach ( last time i checked) and seems like the best alternative until we find someone that suits this spot.....let's see if Max Eberl can think straight after such a shocking departure and move by Favre and whether or not his luck is still around.Its safe to say even luck at the moment can't deliver a coach similar to Favre or even close to his class....boy and I mean holly FUARK...few months back when we finished 3rd and earned the bragging rights for CL...who could have remotely even seen such a cluster fack exploding in our faces ????????? This is the biggest crisis and change and collapse i have seen at Gladbach ( during my life time ) even the crash to 2 . League twice wasent as strange and bizarre .....only positive is at this point there is no pressure and expectations whatsoever on this squad.....and hopefully this will bring us some calm and stability:thumbsup::D:D:alien::D:D:rolleyes:o_O

Dage repped this.
  10. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  11. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe I used the wrong words but isn't it the way that you were very disappointed how the last collaboration ended?

12. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes...lol, man you have a good memory:D
    It was more like when you really like someone and he/she lets you down...in reality I have loads of respect for him..but along with that respect comes loads of responsibility and i was disappointed how he was helpless back then and could not bring us back to life....and of course I grew up watching him coach during that golden era of the 80s here at Gladbkach and liked to think he is going to once again replicate the same performance...those memories are extremely dear to me and special...so when it all crashed...I had to blow off some steam.I would love to see him at Gladbach and since am dreaming..I'd love to see him create the same memories once again:ROFLMAO::cool::p:inlove:

Dage repped this.
  13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or we can be true Fohlen and call up the u-23 coach, where he has had some success (winning the league last season).

I am not sure Jupp would want to get involved, as he is retired. But he might make an exception for his old team.

14. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    #14 Bananenflanke, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    my feelings are too complicated to write anything about Favre, just this:
    mixed opinions over here: ranges from calling his behaviour consequent/amirable to frustration/resentment regarding his tendency to chicken out too early
    according to rumours the guys from Hertha get him back from the Berlin-airport after an overhasty resignement
    same rumours at Gladbach... one occasion now confirmed from the club's management (they convinced him to stay)... apparently they tried this again for hours yesterday...
    he's a complicated character that's for sure...

Germans: Klopp, Keller (lacks charisma, one falls asleep when he's talking; but: good stats at S04!), Slomka, Schaaf (experienced and level-headed but maybe a phase-out model)
    available are Luhukay (absolutely can't see it happen - the same with Heynckes by the way) and Stevens (for this season only... if this gives us time to get the ideal candidate 2016/17... ok not that likely either)
    Klopp is not that likely but not totally impossible, I guess (he pointed out some days ago that he's not desperately looking for an international TOP-team [then again he got 6M at BVB which only intern. Top Teams are paying; the good news: he is not in it for the money and always looking for a sexy club... like us...]
    maybe they just begin with Schubert/Geideck and watch how it's going

ok let's listen to press conference

15. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Can't say I'm surprised, he pulled the same stunt at Hertha. Guy is a genius with a difficult personality structure. He asked for his resignation several times before at Gladbach and before his eventual demise at Hertha ( the infamous talk in the Teeküche at the stadium in Sinsheim sealed it ). This is why Bayern or any other club capable of winning the CL will never sign him, they don't need this isht.

Interim manager will be U23 coach Andre Schubert. Imo Jens Keller would be a good choice as a permanent manager. Did a great and very much underappreciated job at S04.

16. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    on Saturday club and Favre talked a lot and agreed to fight the problem, on Sunday management was horrified by Favre's total U-turn
    asked why Favre told he doesn't have any solutions

they are just moving three junior-coaches one step up in each case (strange, isn't it?) meaning Schubert is already prepping the team for the Augsburg match (as an interim solution)
    that's all for now ... press conference is over

p.s. some journalist mentioned Klopp already has told he's not 'available'

17. NotHelmut

NotHelmut Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Peoria
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just saw the news of his resignation this morning. I was really shocked. Just yesterday, after seeing the 1-0 loss results, I thought to myself that Favre is still the man to turn them around. I am really surprised, and I hope they find the right man, not just for this year but for seasons to come.

Yesterday turned out to be a very interesting day for my teams. The Chicago Fire fired Frank Yallop as their coach. That needed to happen, and not a surprise. This is a surprise.

Things do need to turn around!

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Guess I called that, then...

LuckyStriker repped this.
  19. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #19 Borussia, Sep 21, 2015
    That shameful threat(s) came from one and the same idiot. However, the true reason for Jupp"s retirement was the almost hopeless situation of the team (after we spent for record transfers ahead of that awful season). Luhukay tried his best, but could not fix those huge deficits which Pander & Heynckes were responsible for.

Apparently they (Sportdirektor & board) listened to you.

http://www.borussia.de/english/team...=15093&cHash=ac4a97df0e6c27007c386e73805dd46f

Right now there is room/time for many speculations. Do you think that Eberl i.e. signed Drmic for so much money against the wish of Favre (apparently the same expensive misunderstanding with another striker Favre did not know how to use)? Hard to believe...

20. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What, you too? :thumbsup:

* He's also a guy who was in over his head at the new level of comp. and knew it...................

21. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #21 Dage, Sep 21, 2015
    To fear a thing is different to know a thing. The whole damn world of German football was surprised and shocked by the resign of Favre. The board, the team, the journalists, all fans but you two. Give me a break.. Jesus Christ.

As I told ya, if you are blessed or have a crystal ball then you better start betting, 'cause you could be a lot of bucks richer now.

Come on.. what is this nonsens? What do you want to prove?

Hertha was different if I remember correctly. The Hertha expirience could imo be the reason why he's such a headless chicken nowadays when it comes to situations like this.

@Borussia: I remember the situation well and I have no reason to believe that this was the main reason. The pressure was immense because of the situation of the club and when incidents like that hit you on top of it it could very well be too much for anybody. The police said the threat was very serious, it wasn't just a cheap excuse.

22. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    Nice summation of what went on ... http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/sep/21/borussia-monchengladbach-lucien-favre-resigns

Borussia and HANS-GUNTER BRUNS repped this.
  23. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Favre's difficult personality has never been much of a secret. Journalists close to Hertha like Uwe Bremer ( Berliner Morgenpost, immerhertha blog ) and Andreas Lorenz ( B.Z. ) have been talking quite openly about it.

24. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That your over-the-top rhetoric and vitriol toward a singular statement was unnecessary, and quite frankly ill-advised.

I don't give a particular crap what you or German football knew.
    I watched the Dortmund game and the aftermath and said something at the time, that's all.
    Came to fruition a little faster than expected, but not a shock to me.

If it is to you, what does it matter?
    Don't know the other guy in the least, but it appears he also was getting a vibe huh?

Imagine that.

Now: I haven't called you out.
    Or cursed.
    Haven't asked you what YOU are "trying to prove".........but I could............

I'm not a Favre idolator. Never have been. Happy to let you wallow in pity if that's the mood you choose to use.
    Carry on-but do try not to intervene in my conversation with another if you would.

Bad form.

25. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ok dude let's all step back a moment.

What I don't like is all the extreme negativity. Like a guy that says 'we gonna lose' before every match and afterwards 'what did I say?' Even if he's right only here and there. This is not easy to read, it also says 'get your act together you shouldn't surprised' which I can't understand either. Even if he's prone as a person you just couldn't know it. The injured players come back, every match was better than the one before, it's an English week and the club begged him to stay. that Favre thought about to step back is not the problem. People always think in all directions. But that he does resign in real in the current situation was a big surprise and that's how it was recognised by me and a lot of others.

B.Z. is somewhat of a toilet paper and the Morgenpost is one of the most right winged newspapers in this republic so I don't know what they wrote the days before Favre resigned. And when they wrote it back when he was Hertha coach it was a different situation in a different club worth different people.

I never wanted to hit you so I apologize if some words went over the top. We just have a more direct approach over here in Germany especially in Berlin I guess.