Favorites to win in Russia' 2018?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by MIGkiller, Jun 27, 2016.

?

Favorites to win in Russia' 2018

1. Argentina

2. Brazil

3. Chile

4. England

5. Germany

6. Italy

7. France

8. Spain

9. Uruguay

10. Netherlands

11. Portugal

12. Other

13. Belgium

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree with you about Spain. They really have enormous talent, and there are much more players that you didn't even list. I think the problem with Spain is they don't have the coach that can actually get the best out of the players, although that's the problem with many national teams honestly. For sure they are dangerous, and I would say they are 7th best at the very least.

2. GunnerMan1987

GunnerMan1987 New Member

Arsenal
    Brazil
    Mar 27, 2017
    I just cannot believe its almost relatively certain that Poland and Switzerland will be SEEDED teams. Thats just dumb. No disrespect to Poland or Switzerland, but there is no way you can convince me that either of them are definitively better than Chile, Colombia, France, Belgium, Spain, and Italy.... I call bullshit lol.

3. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure about Colombia or Belgium honestly. But the rest you are correct.

4. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember in 2013 everybody was saying Belgium would be one of the favorites for 2018. Now it seems like nobody is saying that.

5. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    Belgium is not a favorite. Germany, Brazil, Italy, Spain, Argentina are (if Argies qualify...). Then France. Belgium, surely does stand a chance of winning it, but not as a main contender I think.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Colombia with a healthy James and Falcao can beat anyone on the planet and I think is better than Poland.
    On a neutral site I think they win against the Poles a close match. (But obviously I am a bit biased.)

GunnerMan1987 repped this.
  7. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dream of a day when an Asian team is a World Cup contender.

8. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lewandowski is better than both, though.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That maybe true, but he needs his supporting cast to prove it on the field in the World Cup.
    They did look pretty good in the Euros I will admit.

10. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL James has been a bench player for the past few seasons. Falcao has only performed with Monaco.

11. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm just waiting for anyone outside of Europe or South America to be a contender.

12. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    I doubt it will happen anytime soon, yet I would not discard chances of some outsider team succeeding in Qatar, as this is going to be somehow new experience to everyone...

13. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is teams like Japan, United States and Nigeria made huge improvements in the 1990s but can not improve enough to challenge the elite.

14. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    Yes, Japan and USA do not have the game in their blood yet, while Nigeria does not have enough resources I guess... However, as I wrote in other posts, they all still do have some chances of winning (as everyone who does compete have them in theory), although, very slim...

15. manu chao

manu chao Member

Partizan Beograd
    Argentina
    Apr 10, 2017
    Italy play final evry 12 years from1970:
    1970vs Brazil,1982vsW.Germany,1994vsBrazil,2006vsFrance!?

16. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How long does a team have to suck for in order for them to no longer be automatic favorites?

I'm thinking about Italy here

1 horrible final in 10 years of mediocrity and they're still being put alongside Germany Spain etc

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #467 HomietheClown, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    James was a bench player for one of the best teams in the history of the sport.
    A bench player on a bench that inspired many media members and fans in Spain to ask the question....

....Is the 2nd team for Real Madrid better than the First team?????

Let's face it , when he is on his game as we saw in 2014 he is World Class and difficult for any team to stop. And that was without Falcao who was injured and has not been the same since his injury.
    You say he only plays well for Monaco, well he has only been healthy for Monaco. Almost every time a FIFA date comes along he has been injured.

If James and Falcao are healthy and can play (and the rest of the supporting cast plays well.) I think they are better than Poland and Switzerland.

It is not that outlandish to come to that conclusion.

sitruc and Pipiolo repped this.
  18. Coeur

Coeur Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Some happen to have one good generation (like Hungary f.e.), while others are always on the highest level. Because of the tradition, infrastructure, academies, trainers and the way people feel about this sport in said country. It's "in their blood" as someone above said. That is the case of Italy.

19. Coeur

Coeur Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Dude, as a Pole, I wish you with all my heart that you'll find answer to the question if Columbia is better than Poland next year in Russia. Cheers :thumbsup:

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #470 HomietheClown, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Don't make it seem like it is an Insult to say that a team that finished in the top 8 of the 2014 World Cup (without their Captain and leading scorer) is a little bit better than Poland on a neutral site when the team is healthy.

It is just an opinion based on observations.

21. Coeur

Coeur Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    I meant I wish you a direct match vs Poland in Russia ;)

Looking at the player pool of both countries you cannot simply say that Columbia is better unless you're biased.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I live in Chicago and work with a lot of Poles. There's more Poles around here than there are in any other city (outside of Warsaw) on the planet my friend.
    Even they tell me that if Colombia is healthy they are better than Poland.

sitruc repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That is like saying Belgium is the best because they have one of the deepest player pools and their monetary values at the club level are very high.

National team dynamics and setup are not that simple and feeble minded.
    There's more nuance and tactical reasoning behind it.

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Other than the period from 1972 to 1986, Poland has always been poor in international competition. I have little doubts that Colombia would drop them with relative ease at the World Cup.

25. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that's a better history than Colombia at the World Cup?