Favorite Steak Restaurants

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by eric d, Mar 7, 2003.

1. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    Here in NYC we have a plethora of some of the finest steakhouses in the world-

These are the big 7: (Ranked in order from worst to first)

Smith and Wollensky
    Sparks
    Palm
    Dylan Prime
    Gallagher's
    Old Homestead

And my personal fave
    Peter Luger's

[​IMG]

My notes- if you go there- there is no menu so don't ask for one, they only serve 1 type of steak porterhouse, and bring your appetite and lots of cash.

Also although their sauce is unreal- do not put it on the meat- save it for the onion rolls and the tomato and onion appetizer with a bit of horseraddish. Also do not go to their second location in Long Island as it does not compare.

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    In DC it's Sam and Harry's followed closely by Ruth's Chris.
    But that's just me.....

3. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    On the other end of Eric's NYC scale, there's always Tad's Steaks...

Old school steam tables and flame broiled cheap cuts. It ain't Luger's, but it's awesome if you've only got $6 in your pocket and you want to hang with old guys who remember Mantle's rookie year.

4. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    I am too posh for Times Square area food.

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a Smith and Wollensky here in Chicago that is great, but Luger's in NY is awesome. Another great place, but not necessarily consistent with their quality is Sullivans, but the overall experience is great. Go, get a big thick steak, pick out a good red wine to go with, after dinner go to the bar and grab a highball of your favorite scotch and then find a seat in the cigar lounge a sit back and enjoy a fine cigar...and try the house drink before dinner.

6. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    The reason I don't rate S&W is that it is super expensive and the food isn't quite up to the costs. Ever since they expanded nationwide, the quality of their meat has lowered.

7. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Sam & Harry's in DC is the best I've had.

Atlanta's best is probably Chops (or the downstairs Lobster Bar for more variety).

Unlike some, I've always had a pretty decent experience at Ruth Chris.

8. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    See, Chico, I'm a big fan of Morton's first in DC. Then Sam and Harry's.

I finally got to Bobby Van's and thought it was excellent as well.

But the best I think I've ever been to was the Prime Steakhouse at the Bellagio in Las Vegas.

9. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio

smith and wollensky sucks. plain and simple. we had one open here in columbus about a year ago and i have been on 2 seperate occasions, never liked the meal either time and consider how much was spent...it should have been damn good!

in columbus try: top steak house old fashioned place that has been around the columbus scene for a long, long time and still serves up a wonderful steak and some great sides to go along with it. old school goodness...

10. Nate505

Nate505 Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Colorado
    Gibson's in Chicago is the finest steak, and maybe finest in general, restaurant I've ever been to...

11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Baker's Cafe in Canton, Ohio. The meat is fresh, won't kill your wallet, but the downside is that it is located in Canton, Ohio.

12. Iason

Iason Member

Feb 7, 2003
    The Fort
    Peter Luger's, hands down.

13. Rod's Steakhouse in Williams, Arizona -- Gateway to the Grand Canyon.

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse

14. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I loves me some Morton's. Best part is, I've never paid, ever. It's always been with my Thanksgiving family or expensed for work.

15. Iason

Iason Member

Feb 7, 2003
    The Fort

Yum. Every time I'm in AC its all about Morton's. But Peter Luger's is still amazing.

16. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steak and Ale. There is nothing bad on the entire menu, but I like the "Bird & Beast".

17. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luger's has the best steak in NYC. I'm going there for lunch on Thursday (not eating in - but take out, which they generally frown upon, a steakburger and fries costs @ $7.00 - cheap in comparison to dinner)
    I'm always curious about Sparks, if for no other reason than it's where John Gotti had Paul Castellano whackedacked.
    Cite, while not a true steakhouse has a great all you can drink wine meal for a very reasonable price and for teh money, it's my favorite place to go.
    But Lugers is the best

18. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    For what's it's worth Old Homestead has just started selling a $41.00 hamburger. I must check this out.

(Edit- It's a Kobe Beefburger)

19. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I went to Morton's for the first time a couple of weeks ago, boy that steak sure is juicy. Very pricey though. I also like Ruth Chris.
    Locally in CT, I like maneros in Greenwich and Chucks in Darien.

20. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Tampa: Burns

Downtown Manhattan: Strip House

21. Supernaut

Supernaut Member

Feb 28, 1999
    Hop, Vinland
    Club:
    Tromso IL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Philly:

1. Smith and Wollensky
    2. Ruth's Chris
    3. The Saloon
    4. The Prime Rib

I went to Angelo and Maxie's in Manhattan after the Metros opener last year, and the steak was outstanding.

22. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been almost two years since I was last at S & W, but I would rate it the best in NYC.

My favorite at S&W is the Ribeye steak with a side of spinach and a baked potato.

During the Christmas season they give away a box with (4) steak knifes to regualr customers.

Luger lacks variety and the cash only mentality is prehistoric.

Sparks is also very good, and yes, eating there you can't put out of your mind the fact that the boys did in one of there own in front of the restaurant.

Richard, don't judge S&W by any locations other than the one in NYC.

The Old Homestead is okay. Never really a huge fan of it.

23. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998

Angelo and Maxies is more of a "fad" steakhouse then a traditional one. The food isn't half bad, but the cache of the place has worn off.

24. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maneros is very good. The owner, I forget his name is very personable.