Favorite modern architect

Discussion in 'Art & Architecture' started by soccerfan84, Jan 9, 2010.

1. soccerfan84

soccerfan84 New Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I have a pretty hopeful bid out to get on a project with him I will say Norman Foster. Well at least until Zaha Hadid and Santiago Calatrava get back to me.

But this is a leading question because the old school firms like McKim and SOM can still put out some amazing stuff

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
  4. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'll hold back on listing a few of my favourites, simply because I can't think of too many off the top of my head!

However, I to am not a big fan of Koolhaas. I appreciate his forward-thinking and ideas, and understanding or interpretation of society and architecture, but am not a big fan of his actual works or the way his projects are executed.

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    jean nouvel

he's so eclectic; none of his buildings say "nouvel", each is its own statement. here's the musée du quai branly:

[​IMG]

he does just about everything including social housing where his apparently successful idea has been to get away from the standard of X 15m2 bedrooms with X/2 bathrooms, 8m2 kitchen, and a (15 + 3x)m2 living room, all under rigorously identical 2.5m ceilings, and a 1.5m*2X balcony just to say you're not putting people into rabbit hutches.

his apartments are 30% bigger than the norm, and each one original, even dramatic. the overcost is made up by leaving the interiors more or less brut de coffrage, leaving the finishing to the inhabitants. the result? when neighbors come over instead of the depressing realisation that all the places are identical, they're enthused about all the differences, and your own personal touches. and a tickytacky box becomes a home, a bit of magic not even le corbusier with all the talent and good intentions in the world, could manage.

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I understand the words individually, just not in the order they are arranged

7. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    el-capitano repped this.
  8. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'll throw in Glenn Murcutt. Although he's now got to that status where it might not be considered "cool" to like his work in schools here, his design methology resembles my own way of thinking, and his end products make great iconic Australian architecture.

[​IMG]

9. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    those somehow remind me of the house jean prouvé built for himself in the hills above nancy... [​IMG]
    a self-taught architect whom men as diverse as corbu, mallet-stevens and FLW all admired, a pionneer of prefabrication and industrial design, he made his house out of all the odds and ends he could scrape together when his factory closed down, and that makes the thing all the more inspired, and inspiring.

arte did an outstanding documentary on this house in their fabulous ARCHITECTURES series, unfortunately only available in french.

1 person likes this.