Favorite host city

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by falsenine, Jul 14, 2014.

1. MFKS78

MFKS78 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I spent about a week in Rio all up but besides flying out for day trips to games doing the tourist sights getting pissed and watching the occasional game didn't really accomplish that much there that was unique

2. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ok must've been someone else. I'm heading back for new year's so I'm looking for some ideas.

3. joey47

joey47 Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Got back from my travels 2 weeks ago. Embarked on 3 months in Europe after the World Cup. What a time I had. And of all the 4 months abroad, World Cup was simply the best.

Flew into Sao Paolo then on to Cuiaba -> Porto Alegre -> Florianopolis -> Curitiba -> Rio

1) Rio de Janeiro- Amazing sites, amazing food, amazing nightlife, amazing atmosphere, amazing people. Great bars, nightclubs, good underground metro. Beautiful looking city. Just loved it. Favourite city I visited in all of the 4 months of travel I embarked on.

2) Cuiaba- Admittedly, it wasn't the most attractive city. However I sensed it was a very real Brazil. Was run down somewhat, however the people here were arguably the friendliest people I have ever met. Made us Australians feel very much at home... Can tell they really embraced the World Cup. Good street parties, great fan fest. Some great food. Marauding through the city was brilliant, just embracing the little 'hole in the wall' restaurants.

3) Curitiba- Great nightlife, very organised city, friendly people, great food. Just generally a very nice city. Clean, good vibe, happy. Reminded me of my hometown in Australia, Canberra.

4) Sao Paolo- Unfortunately was only here for 2 days as Australia had a game very early on. So didn't see much, but from what we did see it was a pumping city, very crowded but enjoyed it greatly. Need to go back one day to get a genuine feel for it.

5) Porto Alegre- Whilst the nightlife was brilliant and the World Cup made it still an unforgettable experience, just didn't enjoy it as a city compared to the above places. Felt a bit edgy for us unlike the other cities we visited. Game day was great, great vibe within the place, but I dunno just lacked a bit of something.

Florianopolis was wonderful too. Just what was needed after a fair bit of partying and such after Sao Paolo, Cuiaba and Porto Alegre. Good place to just relax yet still enjoy the best of Brazil.

All in all, had the absolute time of my life. Miss it so much. Doubt I'll ever experience 3 weeks like that again, even when and if I go to Russia for the next World Cup. It doesn't get much more ideal than going to a World Cup in the country of Brazil. Such an amazing country, amazing people, amazing food, amazing nightlife. Obrigado Brasil. I'll be back.

rooboy91 repped this.
  4. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I went to 9 cities:

1. Manaus: I just love that city, its tucked in the amazon rainforest and feels like a different country even. I just loved seeing parts of the Amazon Rainforest, and it was cool kind of living around there. Also thats the only game we won, if that counts as a reason.

2. Salvador: Also a great place, a little smaller city in terms of population, and a little quieter beaches than Rio de Janeiro. Also in general Brazil has a lot of crime but I felt safer in Salvador than any other place except Manaus. Salvador is also the first city I saw when I arrived. I went through Rio de Janeiro Airport but than streight on to Salvador. Also three games there with tons of goals, though I only saw 2 of them in person.

3. Fortaleza: Lots of water activities, and I love the shopping malls there as well. Great Food. And its where my favorite moment of the whole world cup happened: Robben diving against Mexico and getting a penalty.

4. Belo Horizonte: I love the food and nightlife there. Also my favorite game happened there: Brazil vs Germany.

5. Sau Paulo: Nothing really special I did in this city other than the games, but I felt english and italian was better understood in this town, and I could communicate the best with other people here. So it was nice to be in a town when people could understand what I was saying.

6. Rio de Janeiro: Great nightlife and beaches, but I didn't feel very safe there and was really concerned on where to go in that city, if I was in a safe place or not.

7. Brasilia: Nothing Special I did here, I just went here to see Brazil vs Netherlands

8. Recife: Boring City. I didn't like it that much.

9. Natal: Boring like Recife, but I liked Recife better because in Natal I saw my team get robbed.

If you wanted to know my schedule as well: Here it is.

June 11: Arrived in Salvador
    June 12: Explored and did activities in the morning, Was at a pub watching the opening game.
    June 13: Saw Spain vs Netherlands. Left right after that and went to Manaus.
    June 14: Explored parts of the rainforest in Manaus, and then Saw England vs Italy.
    June 15: In the morning I finished exploring my favorite city, then back to Salvador
    June 16: Saw Germany vs Portugal, and relaxed the rest of the day/
    June 17: Relaxed
    June 18: Went to Recife.
    June 19: Explored a bit.
    June 20: Saw Italy vs Costa Rica, then the second half of Switzerland vs France in my hotel room.
    June 21: Went to Natal
    June 22: Relaxed
    June 23: Explored a bit
    June 24: Saw the worst game: Italy vs Uruguay.
    June 25: Went back to Recife
    June 26: Saw USA vs Germany
    June 27: Went to Fortaleza
    June 28: Explored a lot and did activities
    June 29: Saw Netherlands vs Mexico
    June 30: Shopped in the Fortaleza Malls
    June 31: Relaxed in Fortaleza on the beaches.
    July 1: Went to Rio de Janeiro
    July 2: Went to the beaches
    July 3: Relaxed in my hotel room.
    July 4: Saw France vs Germany
    July 5: Went to Belo Horizonte
    July 6: Relaxed
    July 7: Explored Belo Horizonte
    July 8: Saw Brazil vs Germany, went to Sao Paulo right after that.
    July 9: Saw Netherlands vs Argentina
    July 10: Explored Sao Paulo
    July 11: Went to Brasilia
    July 12: Saw Brazil vs Netherlands
    July 13: Relaxed and then saw the final at a pub: Germany vs Argentina
    July 14: Explored Brasilia
    July 15: Went back home

5. Robert Hind

Robert Hind New Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
  6. clubamericalara

clubamericalara Member+

Jun 20, 2013
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Club América
    Fortaleza... minus the dangerous areas lol

7. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I wish I hadn't listened to the people who said São Paulo was shit. The few days I spent there were awesome.

8. Penaldu

Penaldu New Member

FC Spartak
    Chile
    Apr 22, 2017
    I didn't like Sao Paulo at all, but Rio is like my favorite city that I've ever been to in the world. I was also impressed with Curitiba it vas very clean and felt more like a European city.

9. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I must've gone to the wrong places. Curitiba was the place I felt most unsafe.

10. Copadobrazil014

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Belo horizonte / rio
    Salvador
    Fortaleza (felt most dangerous lol) / Brasilia (boring)
    Natal