Father and sons duos in football

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by PuckVanHeel, Dec 11, 2017.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Inspired by the comments I made here (also correcting and adding myself, i.e. Valentino Mazzola), I thought it might be an interesting subject and created a thread:

Show Spoiler

Valentino and Sandro Mazzola

In name and reputation probably the most eminent duo. Certainly in hindsight Valentino became perceived as one of the finest of his generation, and Sandro was two decades later a prominent figure in world football.
    Yet it is also an unusual duo since Sandro lost his father aged six-and-a-half in 1949 and has, so he has said himself, only fragmentary memories. After his father and mother divorced in 1946 (which was seen as a scandal) Sandro lived for three years with his father. Custody trials straddled on after his father's death, while he got raised by his mother. His brother Ferruccio became a professional footballer too.

Father and son both captained the national team five times, and both became team captains of their club (Valentino between 1946 and 1949, Sandro between 1970 and 1977).

Cesare and Paolo Maldini

In name this duo probably comes second, but in tangible artifacts they might come first. Although Cesare is not someone to pop up (often) in all-time lists, he was actually - for real - seen as World XI material for a while during his active career, as well as named sometimes for ideal teams of tournaments before his son became famous (and, incidentally, also before Cesare became team captain).

Most famously, Cesare was the captain of Milan who won the European Cup at Wembley in 1963 (team captain between 1961 and 1966). He was the first Italian to lift the European Cup. His son - who had taken a 30% pay cut in the summer of 2002 - did the same 40 years later at Old Trafford.

Among many other similarities and achievements this pair with an aristocratic touch ('aristocratic' is not the same as 'flawless'...) was also team captain of their national side. Cesare was promoted to team captain status just after the 1962 World Cup and stayed this for two years (until age of 32). Paolo was this of course for eight years between 1994 and 2002, including years where his father was the manager (Cesare managed and coached Paolo during various stages of his life and career).

Certainly intriguing is the delicate approach Cesare took. Not the least in a potential conflict of interest, there is the risk for either being too pushy (often not a recipe for success) or being too laissez faire.

-------------------------------------

Maldini made his debut for Milan at 16, a graduate from the youth team overseen by his father, Cesare. Did he benefit from nepotism?

'No, quite the opposite. He was much harder on me than the others,' Maldini recalls. That famously cool temperament was necessary when he had to live up to the enormous expectations that came with being Cesare Maldini's boy. Papa was the strong, elegant sweeper with a big personality who captained Milan to their first European Cup triumph in 1963. Papa also went on to manage the Italy side Paolo played in. If it felt odd he didn't show it. He ended up with 126 caps (112 more than Papa).

Says Cesare: 'I have never given him any advice. He doesn't need it; he always seems to know what to do. He still surprises me every day with his quest to always improve and to look inside as well. What makes me proud about Paolo? The way he behaves on and off the pitch and the fact that he has always played with Milan.'

------------------------------------

On the first day the 18-year-old Paolo - already an established AC Milan first team player - turned up to play for his father's under-21 side, he felt embarrassed: "With the under-21, the situation was embarrassing because, for better or worse, there were always people willing to say that I was a favoured son, only there because my dad was the team coach . . . I've always tried to forget that the coach is also my father but, anyway, since those early days, things have changed and people don't make certain accusations anymore."

-----------------------------------

"My father taught me everything. From the moment I first remember seeing a picture of him holding the European Cup, I wanted to copy his success," Paolo told World Soccer magazine. "I think he was harder with me than with the other players in the youth teams at Milan. But I know that was only because he wanted to make sure no one could accuse him of showing any favoritism.

"In the long run, that made me try harder to succeed. I wanted to do it for myself, but I owed it to him."

--------------------------------

According to a few old reports Cesare thought in the mid-to-late 1980s his son had talent, physically and technically well-trained since a young age, but was "too much of a dreamer".

To be continued later, but of course this thread is meant to contribute, add and contemplate.

Gregoriak and PDG1978 repped this.
  2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nice thread Puck.

Of course I also think of Brian Clough and Nigel Clough automatically.

Relatively Jordi did probably make more of a mark on the game at the highest level than various others sons of great players. Randomly naming another with less impact: Paul Dalglish for example.

At first thought I wonder whether your two examples could be unique (although it is perhaps doubtful in the Mazzola case) in being examples of sons of great (as opposed to very good) players who might be considered to have gone on to be greater/better. Michael Laudrup would surely be a bigger 'upgrade' on Finn Laudrup (at least compared to the Mazzola case), but Finn, although certainly talented and very good seemingly is not down in history as a great player. Cesare possibly is, on his own merits, although being able to be part of very successful Milan teams helped his reputation I guess (but vice versa - him being a key part of the defence helped Milan win things).

3. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Thanks. Yes, I had Brian and Nigel Clough in mind for a third post (the third part). Where I will also link to this video. Brian his profile as a player is notable enough too.

PDG1978 repped this.
  4. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #4 PuckVanHeel, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Peter and Kasper Schmeichel

[​IMG]

Peter Schmeichel forever sealed his legacy by being the victorious goalkeeper at the successful euro 1992 campaign (in contrast to what's sometimes remembered, he wasn't the 'official' captain and thus not the player to lift the trophy; unofficially though...). In that manner he is one of the few goalkeepers who can have a legit claim to be the outstanding player of a tournament. Schmeichel was held as an example for a few of the 'classic' 1990s goalkeepers, including 'successors' Fabian Barthez and Oliver Kahn.

Kasper Schmeichel became in 2016 only the second son to win the Premier League (the first was Shaun Wright-Phillips). As the starting goalkeeper he played a prominent part and has throughout the years deputized as captain when Wes Morgan was not available. In the 2015-16 campaign only the goalkeepers of West Ham United, Stoke City, Swansea City and Watford made more saves, while Leicester conceded the second fewest goals of the league.

Peter Schmeichel is next to Valentino Mazzola and Johan Cruijff one of the few (the only ones?) to be occasionally placed in a top 100 of all-time and ranks among the best goalkeepers of the past 30 years.

Not too long ago Peter defended Kasper live on television:
    http://www.skysports.com/football/n...asper-schmeichel-after-nacer-chadli-free-kick

Johan and Jordi Cruijff

[​IMG]

Ever since Jordi Cruijff (he has not brothers, only two sisters) started to kick a ball he has been portrayed as a classical tragic figure by (literary) journalists and writers. The story starts before he was even born, and indeed, he was Europe wide in the news surrounding the famous 0-5 match in Bernabeu (still not equaled by Barcelona to this day). By the time he started to kick a ball his father was worldwide almost unanimously seen as the most consequential (or 'influential') footballer since the war, and this was seen as unfortunate for him, as if his father had used up all the 'luck' that was reserved for him. In that vein a recent Irish headline wondered 'Enzo Zidane: the new Paolo or another Jordi?'.

Despite all the later injuries, and of course losing the comparison with the icons Giggs and co, it speaks for him though that Alex Ferguson saw something in him after he had played fairly well a few times for Barcelona against Manchester United (those games helped his cause for sure). In the end, not too many father and sons can say they have both scored a goal from open play at the European Championship, as well as both scoring a goal from open play at a (top level) UEFA or FIFA final (and both scoring at the quarter and semi finals too for that matter). He did this when he was finally injury free for a season.

It is a bit of a mystery to what degree Johan pushed his son to follow his footsteps. By most accounts he was liberal in allowing his son to seek his passion and drive, but demanding (with at times a wink) when Jordi found his joy and inspiration in football. Jordi would later say that the enthusiasm of his dad for the sport was contagious, which his demanding stance did not negate.

PDG1978 repped this.
  5. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #5 PuckVanHeel, Dec 11, 2017
    The next group I had in mind are sons of great managers. This is not necessarily a guarantee for a professional career, as evidenced by Paisley, Stein, Shankly and Busby. But the sons of Brian Clough and Alex Ferguson actually had one, a career of several seasons at the highest level.

Brian and Nigel Clough
    Alex and Duncan Ferguson

It's a funny coincidence that both Nigel Clough and Duncan Ferguson - both forwards - represented their country at euro 1992 (among the final eight teams), which was also in both instances the only time they made the squad for a tournament.

While Nigel was not necessarily the lesser player with the lesser career, there is also here a similarity in that both Fergusons managed to score on the continental level while both Cloughs never did (Brian Clough his domestic strike rate is however fabulous and second to none).

I thought about writing a nice piece but I just don't want to pen over wikipedia or the usual articles (which I didn't do above either, I think). If someone else has them, that would be great.

This is a very nice video.

Peculiarly, Nigel Clough (a forward by trade) never scored a goal against his dad. Meanwhile, Duncan Ferguson has the best strike rate of his career against his father. Against mighty Manchester United he has a strike rate of around 0.50 (no pens), including two game winning goals in a narrow 1-0 win, and two goals in a 2-2 draw. Against no other side he has done better.

Other video:
    "Duncan Ferguson helping them [Everton] qualify for the Champions League, 10 years after a Ferguson goal in the same fixture helped to keep them [Everton] in the Premier League."

edit: after checking again it appears that Nigel Clough never played against his father either, despite playing for five years for other clubs in England.

6. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
    How about the Veron's?

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  7. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #7 PuckVanHeel, Dec 11, 2017
    Oh my bad. I discover now I mixed up Darren and Duncan Ferguson :cautious:o_O :laugh: :ROFLMAO:

So that makes Nigel Clough as the only son of a great British manager with a noteworthy career?

Herbert Chapman his son was a rugby union player, and became later president of the Rugby Football Union.

Yes, that is a good one. Most notably Veron sr. played four Copa Libertadores finals, scored in one of them (a goal in each of the three legs in 1968). 13 goals in 29 Copa Libertadores games. One time league champion, four caps.

He also scored in two of the six Intercontinental Cup games.

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nigel Clough's last game for Forest was actually (initially - in his first career - he came back on loan in 1997) also Brian Clough's last game as manager.

Officially it would be the Nottinghamshire County Cup Final - highlights shown a few minutes into this video:

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Thanks (in my memory Brian Clough was related to the club for longer, in one or another way). Nigel Clough his appearances record on worldfootball and transfermarkt state that he never played against Forest, thus did not score either.

Eidur and Arnor Gudjohnsen are seemingly the only duo to play in the same national team game, although not together.

10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    That video actually hints at another one worth a mention of course - Archie Gemmill and Scot Gemmill.

11. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #11 PuckVanHeel, Dec 11, 2017
    Such examples of a 'very good player' with a son with a (noticeably) better career are (double checked to be sure I don't mix up names... :oops: Duncan, Darren... :mad:);

Jean and Youri Djorkaeff

Unlike many of the other examples, those played markedly different positions. Jean was clearly a defensive player and Youri an offensive player. Both for club and country Youri had the more prominent career, with more trophies. Jean was still a 'good' player in his own right (only a dozen father and sons played at the World Cup) and he played in the farewell game of Lev Yashin alongside Mazurkiewicz, Facchetti, Bobby Charlton, Schultz, Muller and Dzajic. He was also first pick and thus not deputizing for absentees.

Miguel and Xabi Alonso

One of those dozen father and sons to play at the World Cup. In the 2006 'Perfect XI' Mario Kempes placed Miguel in his first team. His career at the top level lasted however only ~5 years. Was one of the main players behind back to back titles of Real Sociedad.

Pablo and Diego Forlan

Pablo was a defender (notorious for collecting red cards), Diego a forward. It's arguable maybe whether Diego Forlan had in his own time the better career. Maybe not. Argument can be made Diego Forlan wasn't that markedly better in his own position.

Frank and Frank Lampard

Frank Lampard senior was twice capped for England, in 1973 and 1980, played the 1976 Cup Winners Cup final (which his team lost). Won two FA Cups. When he retired a club legend but not really a domestic legend I think? I wonder what he had done for West Ham if he had been born about 10 years earlier.

Miguel and Pepe Reina

One of the nine (?) father and son duos to appear in a UEFA final. For the Champions League the Aguas (both for Benfica), Reinas, Maldinis and Sanchis (both for Real Madrid) are the only ones. Of these duos, the Aguas have come the closest to also score a goal.
    Pepe Reina had arguably the better career than his father Miguel even though Miguel managed to keep a clean sheet and he did not.

Gregoriak and PDG1978 repped this.
  12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Mazinho and Thiago Alcantara

Mazinho made the ESM team of the month when he was 32. National team career ended at 28 (quite a successful one).

13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    There is maybe one other in Domingos and Ademir da Guia

Most probably Domingos was in his position the higher regarded player though (Placar placed Ademir only twice in their domestic best XI, including retrospective years, although this might be on the low end). Both played at a World Cup.

PDG1978 repped this.
  14. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    George Burley and Craig Burley might just about be worth including, both being Scots who were useful to very useful (perhaps George moreso in his role, and for a longer period) in the English top flight.

I'd doubt that'd be second in line behind Brian&Nigel Clough in the British manager/son combos (thinking of the greatness of the manager as Puck suggested) but I've not decided otherwise just yet!

There's also Ray Clemence, and his son Stephen Clemence who played for a while in the Premier League too.

15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Possibly one for the future, with another Nottingham Forest connection: Lars Bohinen and Emil Bohinen, at 0:58 here almost seeming more like a 'Cruyff son' himself!

I might like the Forest connection to extend to him playing for them too potentially! If he was nearly as good (as his Dad, not Cruyff) he might end up as popular 20+ years later, without the reservations of a few if he doesn't sign for Blackburn and then Derby!

I also noticed this last night, with Clough Jr and Bryan Roy being discussed for the role of supporting Collymore in a supporter's favourite XI (apparently he also did more of an all-time one with focus on older players):

To compliment the interview Puck posted, here is a Clough Jr highlights video:

I remember in Shoot! or something they did a comparison of Brian and Nigel's playing attributes, although I forget who came out ahead overall - Brian was ahead for speed and scoring, and Nigel for passing and vision anyway for sure.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Maybe it is more surprising that so few sons of 'good' (or 'great') managers made it to a decent level. That only three of the top 200 legends (i.e. the top 200 names to appear in a top 100) made it to a solid pro level is maybe expected: footballers are paid to play, not to coach (and leadership skills of footballers are often misunderstood, overrated, romanticized and projected as well as narrowed down to visible traits).

When I have the time I will try to dig harder but apart from aforementioned Clough, Cesare and Johan (who would both qualify as 'good' coaches too - see the sincere comments of Trapattoni and Capello on both of them) there is also Harry Redknapp I thought about in my mind (checked whether Jamie is really his son! :D).

17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, actually I was coming back to make this post haha (I actually wondered if it would be comme that would beat me to it re: Redknapp/Lampard, but it is you that partially does!):

"For more examples of the Djorkaeff ilk, with arguably the more famous and/or better son, from the same extended family there is Harry/Jamie Redknapp and also Frank Lampards Sr and Jr."

I also got thinking about Italian goalkeepers and for the Buffons and Cudicinis I think there is a same position father/son link if I'm right about that. Also maybe in the Djorkaeff/Lampard/Redknapp camp. Some might say the Buffonn one is even similar to the Maldini one.

In the British game there must be quite a few more random ones, but it depends how far we'd want to go with naming father/son top flight player combos. Alan Cork and Jack Cork is one for example. There must be a father/son link in the Gray family I think but I forget if I know which one it is (mainly Leeds players).

18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The Cudicinis are indeed father and son. Lorenzo Buffon is however family related (cousin of Gianluigi's grandfather) but not his father.

Anyway, I will continue with digging when I have the time.

Here a video demonstrating this:

19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #20 PuckVanHeel, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    During the travel I listened to an interesting 'marathon interview' where he actually says some interesting things (also on why he hasn't accepted a job higher up, despite being asked), but difficult to lay down the gist of it without making it too long or distorting it (the nuances in particular). It is on many levels very interesting. Also some musical hints in between ;)

He mentioned that racing drivers make probably the most successful father-son pair, if one perceives that as a sport. He's probably right.

He also said it would be false to say he was unfortunate, because he did have smart parents who were well-off, but he never asked for being known before he was even born (causing a diplomatic row), nor that people expected 'miracles' just because his father could influence things for the better inside and outside football - yet at the same time almost always said "you'll never be as good as your dad, luck has a limit" (see also the Kasper Schmeichel interview above!). Anyway, in many ways nice and interesting to hear.

In the English language he has said these comments though:

"When you grow up with a dad like Johan Cruyff, who’s constantly talking about football, you end up learning a lot about the sport. It’s not even really your choice" (2013)

"My mum was always blamed for my dad not going to the World Cup. But it wasn’t that at all. I now see things clearer. When I was young, I was never allowed to go on school trips and outings and if I wanted a sleepover my parents were always a bit cautious. They were probably afraid someone might try something. My parents were instructed by the [Dutch] police never to talk about this in public, as it might give other people ideas."

"It started when I was 20 years old and I had a knee injury. I went to see two doctors in Spain who said my career was finished. Funnily enough I played until I was 35. It did open my eyes. Wow. An alarm. I was not ready to fall back on anything besides my parents at that time if something goes wrong. So I applied myself to study and preparation. I studied business management when I was in the first team of Barcelona. When I was a Man United player I went to do a post-graduate course in marketing. So I was always open to learn new things and develop myself. I experienced a lot of things – happy days, sad days, I had 12 operations, a lot of injuries, sitting on the bench, being in the stands, playing … I have been through all the emotions of sport. That helped me to understand how players might think."

"The first principle as a father is you will never push your son to do something that you know he is going to fail in. In the end that is painful because you are hurting the son. I always believe if there is some kind of talent then go for it 100%, follow your passion. My father was a typical Dutchman [What is that then ??? this???], live and let live and go your way."

I can also recommend the Nigel Clough video for the ones who are interested. He was in the euro 1992 squad for which only 8 teams qualified for. I'll try to dig further for both players and sons of managers (the latter perhaps being more peculiar).

PDG1978 repped this.
  20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #21 PDG1978, Dec 12, 2017
    Yeah, I thought about racing drivers - Villeneuve, Rosberg, Verstappen....(also the latter has a racing driver Mum I think?).

Maybe a somewhat inaccessible sport, in the sense only a small proportion of kids really try it out (obviously professional football doesn't contain all the best players naturally either, but most kids do play it at school). Maybe also gaining insight/knowledge/experience at a young age can help hone a youngster's abilities and enthusiasm for the sport. But perhaps there is a genetic element too still?

It's a sport whereby we can't fully recognise the talents just by watching the cars go round the circuits too I think, and certainly cross-era comparisons are difficult (including saying whether the son is better than the Dad although we can assume in Verstappen's case yes, and in Villeneuve's case at least not in certain aspects like car control etc probably) - maybe trying to piece together how drivers compare to their team-mates is then best guide even (although driving style and qualities can be seen visually to an extent and maybe on graphs/charts too by mechanics etc) although different suitability to different cars, and the aging process can confuse such comparisons too I think.

Ayrton Senna famously 'predicted' (or maybe he was joking) his nephew would be better than him didn't he? In actuality I guess he wasn't, or close to it, when trying F1 himself (unless in real terms Lewis Hamilton for example is way better than Ayrton was, in the way some suggest Messi>Pele etc).

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  21. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I probably should have named Graham and Damon Hill too!

Damon, Jacques Villeneuve, and Heinz-Harald Frentzen might be a good example of the flaws in multi-team-mate comparisons of times/results too I think!

22. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #23 PuckVanHeel, Dec 12, 2017
    Yes there are some more in auto racing (very successful father and sons): Andretti, Brabham, Fittipaldi, Piquet, Magnusson and a half dozen more. I'd say it is a positive that the legendary commentator Murray Walker does not speak about 'genetics' but mentioned to Channel 4 'driving something competitively since you get out of your cot'.

What you say on accessibility probably plays a part; the parental background likely (middle or upper class); the more structured work-life balance of the father. Relatively speaking. As far as I know for example golf or tennis is more chaotic in schedules. Definitely there are more days they have to sit in an airplane.

Speaking of this, Maldini junior was born and raised when his father had retired as an active player. He has two brothers and three sisters. Afterwards Cesare Maldini had jobs in coaching/management close to home. I don't want to suggest this is the most structured nine-to-five routine, but it can help.

Another good point is that actually only 0.02% of enrolled football players reach the highest division, and as Maldini jr. says in the very first post the standards the environment puts upon the kids can be higher, not lower.

Also, most sportsmen need to think quite selfish, single-minded and egoistic to be good. This does not mean everyone is an alfa-male, let alone take it back to home, but to some level they all have it and they have to place their professional career first.

Still, it is surprising that the 'good' managers and coaches don't score any better. Not only or good/great players paid to play and not coach, a crucial substantial part of their make-up is their (cultivated) athleticism and instincts/reactions.
    For managers and coaches that is not the case (or in other words: their core abilities would be more applicable for nurturing people).

PDG1978 repped this.
  23. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Interesting thoughts Puck.

On the other F1 drivers, I think those names are less clear cut and maybe could be a case of son following father and even getting doors opened to him due to his background (but can it be this happened too with Damon Hill who did become World Champion, and Ralf Schumacher possibly as Michael's brother, and he did seem to be quick enough to be a 'reasonable' option for a top team like Williams were when he was there?). I think the contra example is probably Magnusson (if we could at all rely on 'seeing' that Kevin for example seemed closer to Jenson Button, than Jan was to Rubens Barrichello, as team-mate). But for the others, it is more towards a Cruyff scenario at least I think (the father having the bigger talent) - Andretti was successful in USA-based motor racing, but although his 'benchmark' in Senna was very high he was not competitive in F1, even compared to some of Senna's other team-mates (although whether in literal terms they were better than Mario Andretti too is possible due to the uncertainty I guess...not only Prost but others who didn't become World Champion....but Mario did do that and in F1 Michael was nowhere near to showing signs he might do).

Christian Fittipaldi (maybe not the one who was son of Emerson though?) did score well interestingly in some maths calculation I saw comparing team-mates (I can't remember exactly what it was). But if he had been so good, the question would be why he did not move to a bigger team and stay in F1 longer.

Another interesting motor sport example though is Carlos Sainz and Carlos Sainz Jr I think. The latter, being 'respectable' in comparison to Verstappen, is surely a top-line driver himself. But his Dad was a Rally Champion, and it is very much a different sport really.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  24. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Football has surprisingly few great father and son combos which perhaps reflects the incredible popularity of the game. Basically you are always competing against almost the entire world so the in-built advantage of having a great father are potentially limited.

Motor racing is obviously an extremely niche sport and participation levels are very low so it sort of makes sense for there to be a lot (relatively) of family connections. I saw a good article recently (trying to remember where) about cricket and how common father and son combos are. Just in the current Ashes you have 3 players across the 2 sides whose fathers were international cricketers (Broad, Bairstow and Marsh).

In terms of some slightly less high quality ones from England you have Mark Chamberlain and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ian Wright and Shaun and Bradley Wright-Phillips, Ian and Mike Walker, Roy and Dean Saunders.

PuckVanHeel repped this.