Faroese season 2003 [R]

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by Canadian_Supporter, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    HB Torshavn lost 1-0 today to Kaunas (Lithuania) in the CL 1st round qualifying. The second leg will be played on the 23rd.

Jakup Mikkelsen could be on the move to Patrick Thistle. He is slated to make his debut on July 19th versus Bradford City.

Faroese league

Round 10 -- July 9th
    Skala 1 NSI 3
    FS Vagar 2 HB 3
    KI 1 GI 0
    B36 2 VB 1
    B68 4 EB/Streymur 2

The league will now take a summer break until August 3rd.

Standings after half-way (10 games)...

1. B36 Torshavn 22pts
    2. HB Torshavn 21pts
    3. NSI Runavik 19pts
    4. B68 Toftir 17pts
    5. KI Klaksvik 17pts
    6. EB/Streymur 13pts
    7. GI Gotu 12pts :confused:
    8. FS Vagar 7pts
    9. VB Vagur 6pts
    10. Skala 3pts

IF are currently leading the second division and look to be the favourites to make the jump to the first division.

2. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Jakup Mikkelsen has joined Partick Thistle of the SPL.... according to Scottish press reports.

Mikkelsen deserves to be playing at a higher level and it is great to see him get a shot in the SPL.

3. Is Mikkelsen their national goalkeeper? Sorry, I know just a little their players.

For what team was he playing? I guess that if he's a national team member he was certainly playing for either HB Torshavn or KI Klaksvik... am I right?

Whatever, I wish him the best of luck with Patrick Thistle, the little ones from Glasgow (very little compared to Celtic and Rangers!).

4. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He is...

Mikkelsen impressed a lot of people with his play against Germany last fall. I believe he played in Denmark, but I can't remember the team at the moment.

5. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Faroese Cup Final -- July 29th

B36 3 GI 1 (a.e.t)

The season started again after the summer break with a full slate of games this weekend.

Round 11

B68 1 Skala 0
    HB 1 NSI 0
    GI 2 FS Vagar 2
    VB 1 KI 0
    EB/Streymur 3 B36 1 :eek:

EB/Streymur pull off the huge upset victory over B36. The win by HB and the loss by B36 means that HB take over the lead in the standings.

6. If B36 wins the league, will GI be the one who will take their place for the UEFA Cup because they're the losers of the final?

Thanks.

7. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, if B36 wins the league GI will go to the UEFA Cup because they were runners-up in the Cup.

8. Hmmm, I guess that it would be another massacre against a Faroe team in an European Cup. GI doesn't seem to be a great team this year.

As B36 has won the Cup and I don't want to see GI in the UEFA Cup I must hope a second place for B36 in the league. BUT, as I don't really want to see HB wins the title again this year, I must also hope that another team like NSI Runavik or KI Klaksvik will win the title...

That would be:
    Champions League: NSI Runavik or KI Klaksvik
    UEFA Cup: B36 and KI Klaksvik or NSI Runavik depending on which team would have finished first.

That would be great, wouldn't it?

9. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Round 12 --- Aug 10th

Skala 1 HB 3
    NSI 1 GI 0
    FS Vagar 2 VB 3
    KI 4 EB/Streymur 1
    B36 0 B68 2

Confusing loss by B36... :confused:

HB is now four points clear of B68 Toftir for first place.

NSI lost 3-1 at home today in the UEFA Cup against Lyn (Norway).

KI lost 2-0 at Molde (Norway). They still have a shot at home, but I don't see them scoring three goals.

10. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    How did you get interested in the Faroese league? Is there a poster on BS from there? I think he’d be truly amazed to see that their league is getting more traffic here than the Swedish

11. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I started a Faroese national team page in 1998 and soon I met a few Faroese friends. In 1999, I went to the Faroe Islands for two weeks and I got a chance to watch Faroe Islands vs Bosnia and Faroe Islands vs Scotland. I also watched a few league games.

I don't think there is a poster from the Faroe Islands on bigsoccer.

12. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Round 13

B36 2 Skala 1
    VB 1 NSI 2
    GI 0 HB 4
    EB/Streymur 4 FS Vagar 2
    B68 3 KI 1

Skala almost produced a shocking result in Torshavn, but fell just short. KI has almost no shot of winning the Faroese championship after their 3-1 today in Toftir. HB Torshavn currently sits four points up on B68 Toftir.

IF currently sits on top of the second division and seem to be the favourites to be promoted.

13. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Skala 0 GI 2
    HB 0 VB 0 :eek:
    FS Vagar 0 B68 2
    KI 1 B36 2 :mad:
    NSI 3 EB/Streymur 0

- Surprising to see HB held at home by one of the weakest teams this year (based on points).

1. HB Torshavn 31pts
    2. B68 Toftir 29pts
    3. B36 Torshavn 28pts
    4. NSI Runavik 28pts
    5. KI Klaksvik 20pts
    6. EB/Streymur 19pts
    7. GI Gota 16pts
    8. VB Vagur 13pts
    9. FS Vagar 8pts
    10. Skala 3pts

14. runes777

runes777 New Member

Oct 15, 2002
    chicago
    crazy question for one of you guys,where can i get a Faroe national team kit? any help would be appreciated.
    gary

15. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  16. runes777

runes777 New Member

Oct 15, 2002
    chicago
    thanx alot!!!!

17. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Round 15

KI 7 Skala 0
    B68 3 NSI 2
    EB/Steymur 1 HB 1
    VB-GI (postponed)
    B36 4 FS Vagar 1

- Important win for KI as they are battling for a Inter-Toto Cup place.
    - B68 gains two points on HB after they (B68) defeats NSI and HB is held on the road against EB/Streymur.

18. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Round 16

Skala 1 VB 0
    NSI 1 B36 2
    HB 2 B68 0
    GI 4 EB/Streymur 4
    FS Vagar 3 KI 1

- Skala gets their second win of the season. They still appear to be making the drop to the second division.
    - FS Vagar wins a key game as they hope to get out of second last. If they don't, they will have to play the second place team in a two game tie to determine who gets promoted.
    - HB gets a huge victory against B68. 1,500 people showed up for the game in Torshavn. With the loss, B68 drops to third place.... while B36 jumps to second (one point behind HB).
    - KI lost... :mad:
    - Hjalgrím Elttør is the leading scorer in the league with 13 goals.

19. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Round 17

B36 0 HB 2
    FS Vagar 3 Skala 4
    KI 2 NSI 2
    B68 3 GI 2
    EB/Streymur 2 VB 0

- HB clinches the 2003 Faroese championship with one round left to play. 4,000 people attended the derby match. HB also becomes the first team to qualify for the 2004/05 Champions League.
    - B68 jumps to second place thanks to their win over GI and B36's loss to HB.
    - Skala wins a shocking away game 4-3 against FS Vagar. Skala is currently two points behind 9th place FS Vagar. The team that finishes 9th will play the 2nd place team in the second division (two legs). Skala is at home next weekend against EB/Streymur... while FS Vagar travels to Runavik to play NSI.

In the second division... IF will be promoted back the to the first division. TB and Sumba will decide the second place team who plays the 9th place team from the first division. More then likely TB will finish second.

Royn will be promoted from the third division to the second division next year.

20. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how much these guys get paid.

21. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Almost all of the players have 'day' jobs. I know a few years ago a player from Brazil worked in one of the local fish markets.

22. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright. In a country where the population is in the tens of thousands, I couldn't imagine these guys being able to make a living playing in this league.

23. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You are correct. I don't know if they work during the season or just the off-season. The player from Brazil lived with one of the club officials. The official also drove him around... :)

I know an American played for KI in 1999.

24. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USA is bigtime now since we had a player in the Faroe Islands league. :)

I am now interested. I actually wonder what the atmosphere is like at these games.

25. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, as you can see, the B36 Torshavn-HB Torshavn game had an attendance of 4,000 (close to 10% of the population. This derby probably has the best atmosphere out of all of the games.

I have only been to a handful of league games, and the crowds were about 250-500. Pictures that I look... :)

League games...
    http://faroesefootball.tripod.com/lea.html

'Stadiums'
    http://faroesefootball.tripod.com/stad.html

National team games
    http://faroesefootball.tripod.com/nat.html