Fargo - Season 3 on FX

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Belgian guy, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    We are over the halfway point now, episode 6 out of the 10 episodes of season 3.

I too like it but I would agree that it is my least favorite season out of the three.

The best episode so far was the one least related to the overarching plot (Carrie Coon's solo episode in Los Angeles).

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Mr. Wrench! :)

I guess he is going to save Nikki from the Russian?

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Who?

4. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was wondering who that was. we were obviously supposed to know given the way they panned over and the music hit right when you saw his face. unfortunately, i was like, "uhhh, i guess i've missed something or my memory sucks."

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The guy from season one. The mute guy who tried to kill Lorne Malvo and whose partner got killed by Lorne Malvo instead. Malvo then visited him in the hospital and gave him the key to escape.

I recognized him almost as much by the musical motif than by his face. :ROFLMAO:

Quango repped this.
  6. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I'm completely lost on who that is.....can't remember at all.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

Sebsasour and yasik19 repped this.
  8. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really want to see a Wrench vs Yuri battle. Only bummer is Wrench won't be able to hear his monologue

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That can be part of the joke. Yuri starting another long story about his life in Russia and then Wrench just beating his ass.

Sebsasour repped this.
  10. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rather enjoy Season 3, but my wife and I agree that it is the weakest of the three seasons.

This season just slips over the line from Coen Brothers homage into Coen Brothers pastiche... or even parody. It just layers everything on a bit too think. Too many philosophical soliloquies from Varga. Too many gruesome mishaps. Minnesota accents just too thick. Too many obvious references and inside jokes about Coen Brothers films.

This season also just doesn't do as good a job of making us care about the characters. I think that Noah Hawley and the other writers and directors want us to care about Gloria as much as we did about Molly and Lou Solverson, but I just don't. There's just not the same depth of character.

The most frustrating element of this season by far is Gloria's immediate superior, Mean Chief Squarejaw McIraqVeteran. This character is just painfully stupid for no good reason. In season 1, the Bob Odenkirk character played a similar role in the plot, but he was more fleshed out. You understood the ways he was out of his depth. You understood his desire to avoid stirring the pot in the small town of Bemidji. You got to see his softer side, the way he cared for the Sudanese boy he adopted. In contrast, this guy in season 3 is purely a plot device. Why does he refuse to listen to Gloria? Just because this is what the plot demands. Every scene involving him makes me reflect on how much weaker this season is than the other two.

chad and Skandal!!! repped this.
  11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I really liked this last episode. The best one since the Carrie Coon one in Los Angeles.

References to the original "Fargo" movie as well as "The Big Lebowski", and that entire extended opening scene was terrific and very entertaining. I thought the second half the episode didn't quite match the quality of the first 20+ minutes.

I do agree that this still is the weakest of the three episodes but it's still very enjoyable television.

Oh and you don't mess with Mr. Wrench. :D

12. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Who was that Jewish guy at the bowling alley?

13. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laura Palmer's father.

14. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, don't know what to make of that part yet. kinda like the alien stuff from season 2.

15. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    So confused. Who's that?

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The bowling alley was an obvious reference to "The Big Lebowski". The way that Ray Wise was revealed in that shot (first with Nikki, then with Yuri) was similar to the way Sam Elliott was revealed in the Coen brothers movie.

Now in terms of how it fits into this story, it was obviously meant to be some sort of purgatory, since mr. Wrench and Nikki were allowed to leave because they are supposedly on the right track whilst Yuri Gorka apparently never returned to V.M. Varga and Meemo.

17. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The actor played Laura Palmer's father in Twin Peaks-- perhaps his most famous role. So not anything from the Coens universe.

However, I DID think it was interesting that he spoke about demons possessing people-- because that's exactly what happened to him in Twin Peaks. So perhaps the decision to use Ray Wise really WAS a Twin Peaks reference by Noah Hawley.

Belgian guy repped this.
  18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Aaaw, Mr. Wrench has a new partner. :)

The scene at the end with the two lady cops at the bar was also very cute.

19. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, winnie is proving to be a great character. i love their scenes.

how hot was MEW in the hotel lobby? great scene too.

also, varga sitting on the toilet, stuffing his disgusting mouth with ice cream...

20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    That chick is way too smart.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That was a bit of an anticlimax in the way Nikki went out. :(

Mr. Wrench taking out Emmit Stussy after Stussy already thought he got away with it was enough like that scene in "The Departed" with Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg that I wonder if it's a conscious reference.
    Same with the final scene of the season, which seemed to be a nod to a similar scene with Nicolas Cage and Ethan Hawke in "Lord of War".

Overall I thought season three was the weakest of the three by some distance. I would probably rank them season two, season one and season three, in that order. With the first two way ahead of the third.

22. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, i was really disappointed with nikki's conclusion

23. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I have a lot of questions.

1. Who was that German guy in episode 1? Grandfather Stussy?
    2. No way Mr Wrench kills all those henchmen with machine guns w/out a scratch
    3. No way Nikki is that clever
    4. I don't feel Emmit deserved to die.

Disappointed in the season finale.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    1. The German guy in episode one was just the poor bastard who got picked up by the Stasi to take the blame for the murder on Yuri Gorka's girlfriend Helga (remember in the prison bus episode he mentions this to DJ Qualls character when he notices the 'Helga' tattoo on his arm).
    2. Well there weren't that many henchmen. I think there were only five of them upstairs, including Meemo. He also opened fire on them from behind with an assault rifle. Most of them would have been injured or dead by the time they could turn to return fire.
    3. Well to be fair, I had a different point of view. Her plan was pretty simple, at least the part at the deserted storage facility. What was hard to believe was a guy like V.M. Varga walking into an obvious trap. Even just them getting into the elevator so willingly was insane, since that thing could have been rigged up to be a death trap in like fifteen different ways.
    4. Well the point was that Nikki did think he deserved to die, which is all that mattered to Mr. Wrench. Though you can make the argument that Emmit had many opportunities to not let the situation escalate so far out of his control, which would have likely ended with his brother surviving and his best friend not nearly dying from poisoning.

BTW, I do like the symmetry of the season, if nothing else. Both the opening scene and the closing scene are two-handers in which the characters more or less discuss the nature of what is deemed to be ''truth'.

yasik19 repped this.
  25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV