FAO Glory hunters.

Discussion in 'England Rivalries' started by vietnamredstar, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fair enough.

2. BlackburnRover

BlackburnRover New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    M6
    Exactly.

3. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    The thing is that these people that class themselves as simply being Americans are often of English heritage as said earlier, this is porbably because their English roots probably come from some of the first people to come from England to America and found many towns, so their families were their for the formation of the country of America so they are classed as Americans even though they have English heritage. Then you have all the Americans who say "I'm Irish" or "I'm Italian" when their family has lived there for many generations and they just love to say they are something different, it's laughable really, because they aren't Irish or Italian, they are American. The majority don't even have passports from the countries they are claiming to be nationals of.

Whether you like it or not FNU the most common surname in America is Smith which is an English name, with the 2 most popular surnames in America being English, and infact the top 17 were all used in England and Britain. So either you're wrong or you will come up with some crazy explanation to deny this. Everything about America is English, you even sing an English song as your national anthem. :D

4. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Sign I saw hanging in a garage earlier this week:
    "Welcome to America. Now speak English!"

5. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What exactly am I wrong about? Americans with English roots don't often cite it. I'm not sure if everything American is English, because I haven't explored England enough to make comparisons. Are you talking about the star-spangled banner? It was based off an English tune but an American wrote it.

6. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    No and Englishman wrote it. You're saying the majority of Americans don't have English heritage, when I just proved they have. It doesn't matter whether they go "I'm English" like all the other ********s, because the fact is they have English heritage.
    I don't know how you can be so ignorant of your countries history. The USA was created by England...

7. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You are right to an extent. The US was created by Englishman
    but it doesn't mean most Americans are English.

I happen to have more than 25% of my ancestors tracing back to England,
    but I don't know anyone except English ex-pats who are also English.

8. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Anyone called Smith is English, at least to the same extent to which Italian Americans are labelled Italian.. even though of course they are all simply American, because if we're going to play that game I'm a Viking.

The fact that the 17 most popular names in America are English or were popular English names kind of says it all don't you think?

9. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    LOL, that's the surname of my English ancestors.

10. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    An American, born in America, wrote it. You didn't prove anything, and I already know a majority of white Americans are of English heritage, it just isn't cited as much as other nationalities by Americans. Like Doc said, they call themselves WASPs instead. Of course it matters, because my point, which I still don't think you read, was if you're going to support a club abroad, you should have SOME CONNECTION. The USA was CREATED by AMERICANS, or it wouldn't be the USA now would it?:cool:
    Have you ever been to America?

I know a few Smiths, and they say they're Irish. Care to explain?

11. BlackburnRover

BlackburnRover New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    M6
    Probably something do do with a few years ago someone called Smith moved to Ireland from England, happened quite a lot.

Similar to how I've got a French surname. My dad's side of the family came over with the Huguenots about 450 years ago. Then they moved to Scotland before settling in England about 150 years ago. Get the idea? A long time ago, and I'm as English as they come but it doesn't hide the fact that I've got a French name because historically my family were French. Just like a lot of Americans originated from England. Facts are facts no matter where you make your cut off point for when someone has English or American heritage.

You started off well you're arguing for the sake of it now. You know exactly what people are saying.

As for glory hunters I agree with your points.

12. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Most surnames of British origin spread across the entire British isles and even Germany and Scandinavian countries. Smith is also the most popular English surname

And you really are just arguing for the sake of it, and your national anthem was written by an Englishman, that's like a fact. And saying an American created the USA is a bit stupid, it was created by the English government not some settlers.

You contradict yourself an awful lot aswell, but at least you have chaned your opinion to something moderately correct even if you deny you have changed it at all, it's clear for all to see.

Now let's get this back on topic, I also suggested that you should look at your heritage when choosing a team to support, because there will almost certainly be a team that was supported within your family many years ago.

13. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Tell me who wrote the Star-Spangled Banner and where he was born. If you meant to say English American, then yes he was. But he wasn't just an Englishman, nor did he consider himself one. Which leads to my point about people of English heritage do not often cite it.
    I wasn't even arguing with anyone in the first place. lol I'm not contradicting myself either.

How can you say the English created the USA? It wasn't the USA until the American Revolution and the Declaration of Independence. The English settled this land, but they did not create the sovereignty which it is today.

Anyways, you agree about my points on selecting a club to support if you don't live in the same country of the league you follow. Specifically, Americans before the MLS was created, and even those after the creation. I'm not a believer of supporting more than one club, but following others is fine in my book especially if it's different leagues.

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    the people who created 'the united states' were british subjects. granted it was an act of rejecting that 'subordination' (if you will); but denying who they were is somewhat silly.

15. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Read his post, he said the ENGLISH GOVERNMENT. That is what I am referring to.

16. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and France, and Spain, and the Netherlands, and Sweden, not to mention the millions of Germans and Italians and eastern Europeans and later Hispanics and Asians and Africans, and oh yeah the natives, and .....

it's a long standing English delusion that the United States is primarily English. It has never been so, and it is absolutely NOT true that a "majority" of Americans can claim English heritage. Not at all. There's more to the US than New England.

The great English fantasy summed up in two sentences.

17. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    art you must be up there with the stupidest people on this site, I'm sure of it. I honestly don't know how you fail to understand anything at all, it's as if you were never taught anything at school, or perhaps you are incapable of learning, I'm yet to decide.

Also it seems I was wrong about the USA being set up by the English government, think I misread an article. But anyway this is getting badly off topic, and I am getting very tired of having to explain myself over and over again for every new idiot that feels he needs to have his word.

18. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    then don't, a) you're wrong and b) I don't care.

the simple fact that you are apparently unaware of is that most of what is now the United States of America, basically everything outside of the eastern seaboard and specifically New England, was founded by countries other than England, namely France and Spain for the most part, though many others also had colonies. New York---Dutch. Philadelphia- Swedish. All of the US west of the Missisiippi- Spain. And on and on. Sorry that this contradicts your myopic world view but I can't help that.

19. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    I was going to stop, but don't worry I assure you I am right, because I actually had a good education, and you like lots of Americans seem wrapped up in all that "America is the best country ever and the best at everything ever!!":(

20. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes, the stupid american response. when all else fails....

21. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    I've proven everything, you're the one who just blindly went "you are wrong." Come on pal you can do better than this. :D I didn't call Americans stupid either, I called YOU stupid.

22. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing blind about what I said at all. I'll never claim to be a genius but I have read an actual history book or two, ones written without the propeganda largely created by the US government to make it seem as if we were noble and everything happened in a linear, predictable path starting with Plimouth Colony and leading up to our saving the world over and over, and based on the idea that we sprung from the breast of jolly old England. Believe me I find that "history" as disturbing as anyone, but it's pretty much been shredded by now, which is something you are apparently unaware of.

23. sublicon

sublicon Member

RBNY, Fulham FC
    United States
    May 28, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, you're sort of wrong here . . England established the original 13 colonies, and we declared independence.

Bordering states west of the seaboard weren't officially founded by any countries, they were founded by settlers who came from those countries.

The way you put it, it sounds like they came here and said "I claim this land for Sweden" . . didn't happen.

Bolton, you're not from here, so I wouldn't expect you to have first hand knowledge of this. There are a fair amount of people here who are 2nd or 3rd generation Italian or Irish or what have you, more than you'd think.

My girlfriend is half Irish, half Italian . . her Irish father was born here, his parents married Irish, and their parents were straight off the boat. Same story with her Italian mother, although her parents were actually straight off the boat.

The above scenario is pretty common, hence why people claim to be 100% of whatever nationality sometimes. Also realize that you have these people immigrate here, and they are trying desperately to hold on to some sort of individuality and their nationality is pretty much the only place they can get that from.

Then you have folks like me, who are "American" . . in that I have family from everywhere - Sweden, Germany, England, Ireland, France, etc. Parts of my family have been here for three-four generations tops, other parts of my family have been here since the 1600's.

Once we get further into the 21st Century, there's going to be more crossover of this because there aren't herds of people flocking here like there were in the days of Ellis Island.

24. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, that's essentially exactly what happened, though it wasnt countries so much as corporations of traders/fishermen/hunters etc. By the time of the revolution, you're right, the English had gained control of the 13 colonies...but only after more than 100 years of wars mostly with the French and Indians. You too need to learn more about pre-colonial days.

And stay out of this, I'm busy pummelling BoltonMassiv. :D

25. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nice Edit.. And I think you'll find alot of New England was founded by English pilgrims, and yes New York used to be called New Netherland, but naming a few cities that were founded by other European nations means nothing really.. when so many of the other towns and cities were originially English settlements, all you really have to do is look at a map of America look at a city name, and often you will find a matching name on a map of England; Boston, New Hampshire.. etc and also the names of many American counties. Please understand I am not saying England owned and founded everything in America, I am merely making the point that many more people in America have English heritage than was initally being made out, and evidence such as most popular surnames and the names of many of your settlements proves this.