Fans to buy English club and then pick the team

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by HeMustScore!, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Been reading a few posts on the Halifax forum which would suggest that whilst a few clubs have been approached, discussion is continuing with one club only now. Quite possibly in the Conference National. The club (or owners) are interested, and could be revelaed before the end of the year.

Looking at the top 15, assuming it is one of those then Woking would seem the obvious one. The owner has already publically indicated an intention to leave.

Edit: Thinking to check the site, http://www.myfootballclub.co.uk/latestnews.php something is progressing.

2. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    I like it how their first choice is Leeds, hope they've raised £80m, and are prepared to wait a bit! Realistically it looks nigh unworkable.

3. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Well it is a vote, though I do think investors have pretty much wasted their vote by picking unrealistic teams. It was clearly never going to generate the interest to buy Leeds.

The approaches the people running it will have actually made will no doubt have been more sensibly chosen, only using that vote as a priority guidline.

4. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
  5. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Ebbsfleet United. As you probably know by now.

6. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Strangely they appeared to have jumped up the most voted for clubs, now 2nd on the list. Didn't think they appeared in the top 15.

7. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ability to vote for a likely target club, taken once when people registered (many of them back in the summer), was re-opened at some point once people got more information on what the parameters were and what was realistic. I imagine a lot of people went in today and knocked Ebbsfleet right to the top of the list.

8. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    This is marvellous! 50,000 people giving a man £35 each so he can buy himself a football club and they can each have a 1/50,000th say in decisions for one year!

Of course, it'll fail miserably. Poor Ebbsfleet; bravo website-runner.

9. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    The following paragraph aside, I'd agree with you.

Aside from the fact that at Halifax we'd all prefer the takeover which is currently progressing (albeit slowly). They've already shown a good deal of committment to the club. Having seen comments from a Northwich fan, who really are in a tight spot, they aren't keen either.

Also Gravesend & Northfleet do have a lot of history (winning their division twice more than we ever have), it's just that far too many people can't be bothered to look for it.

Too much debt appears to be something they've wanted to avoid (can't say I blame them). Whilst it may make the club more receptive, there will be a lower budget available for players.

10. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nice story. :)

I just wonder how many managers this team will have...;)

11. steed

steed New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Thailand
    Yeah, can only see this ending in tears eventually once the euphoria of it all has worn off. Sorry Ebbsfleet, it's a failure for me.

12. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
  13. riquelmeee

riquelmeee New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Now, Real TV is back ! fans could sign players for their clubs :
    :)
    look at this :

PARIS Saint Germain striker Greg Akcelrod won over the County Ground fans yesterday but going by Paul Sturrock's reaction the Frenchman should not start house hunting in Swindon just yet.

Akcelrod scored two first half goals yesterday in a trial game for foreigners, topping the phone poll for the supporters' man of the match, but the Town boss admitted none of the triallists really "slapped me in the face".
    While Akcelrod's agent, Nigel Hassler, said they would be talking to Sturrock today and was "hopeful" things could be taken further, the Town boss made it clear he was not expecting anyone on show to make a real impression at Town.

While impressed with two or three players on trial, Sturrock questioned whether any could adapt to the League One game, admitting a cold December night in Oldham was a different proposition.
    Akcelrod's first goal was a sublime 20-yard chip over the advancing keeper before a bullet header just before half time made it 2-0 to his side.
    A penalty and a spectacular strike levelled matters after the break but it was Akcelrod who stole the show, with Town fans voting in their numbers for the red number nine.

Greg Akcelrod, 24, is a regular for PSG reserves but made two appearances for the first team last season.

He has had trials with Bournemouth, Southampton and Milwall and is in discussions with Norwich City.
    Agent Hassler said: "I think Greg could score goals in League One. He could have had five during the game but I think he did enough. He got the fans vote.
    "He is an intelligent player who wants to come to England. Paul Sturrock will talk to us today and we will go from there.
    "I am confident we can take things on though. I think a trial game like this was a great idea. Normally on a trial you play on your own and so the others players in the team don't really want you to impress."

The winner of the phone poll does have the potential of a week's trial at the club but Sturrock insisted he would have the final say.