Fans disagree with league reduction

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Teso Dos Bichos, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Good to read. I edited the format to make it easier to quickly read the percentages. 10 team leagues would be a complete farce.

2. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I would also prefer to see a more expanded league. I think with the way things are going it's been proven beyond doubt that a smaller league setup doesn't work regardless of what gimmicks are added on to it.

3. MassYank

MassYank New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think having a winter break would be beneficial...

Look at the Bundesliga ... Start in mid August, play 34 games with a winter break from late Dec to late Jan, end in mid May.

4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The SPL is still trying to cling to power while greedy clubs are looking after number one instead of thinking about the bigger picture. In short they have delivered a huge '******** you' to the supporters. You know, those guys who actually keep you in ********ing business. :rolleyes:

5. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    I don't undertand why they say that it would be uneconomical to have a team with 16 teams in. If they continue the way they are going then they will end up with a two team league of Celtic and Rangers one day.

6. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    that's the spl's dream.

the vast majority of fans disagree with it, so they're going to push it even more. why not just keep it at 12? 10 teams isn't gonna do a damn thing to change the bigot brothers dominance. it's only gonna hurt the smaller clubs even more.

7. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You can bet a lot of the smaller teams will not want to lose 4 pay days a season against Rangers and Celtic. Also I can't see any of the teams wanting to split the TV money even more.

Personally I think you would see more attacking football, more Scottish talent and I bet more fans would turn up at the grounds and in turn this would maybe make the league more attractive to the TV companies. I think we should swap to summer football as well.

8. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The bigot brothers...? Isn't there a yawn emoticon...?

I actually hear as much bigoted abuse coming from 'normal' SPL fans as I do from the Glasgow teams.

After the recent Motherwell match my friend and his grandson of 10 were victims of it from so called Motherwell supporters. You clearly still have no idea about the majority of football in Scotland.

As for the thread as Pedro has said it's the smaller clubs that don't want to lose out on their payday. I'd much prefer a 16 or 18 team league to add some freshness and vitality back into the stale sandwich that is SPHell football.

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Those 'normal' fans are just cheap Old Firm fans who cannot drive.

The clubs are walking a slippery slope as supporter backlash could easily push them over the brink.

10. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    with a little luck maybe the church will lend you a hand again?

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    what do you mean by "end up with one day"?

12. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The church will lend a hand again with league reconstruction...?!!?

You see, this is what I mean when I say you really don't have a clue about Scottish football. ;)

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    go, and sin no more.

14. C-bus

C-bus Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't like the 10 team version of MLS very much. I vote no for SPL going to 10.

Has anyone suggested a move toward a more communist SPL where the league has more control a la MLS? It really does help to stifle individual clubs' selfish pursuits of profits from ruining the entire league.

15. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hasn't done anything to address the fact that there are 42 professional clubs in a country of 5 million. we still have to play every team 4 times and it will become even more desperate for the middle clubs to preserve points. expect the quality of football to continue to plummet

16. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    There are not 42 professional clubs in Scotland. If you want to classify 'professional' as full time, then there's around 20. If you want to include part-time teams then there are probably hundreds.

The fact remains that the mere existence of clubs like Albion Rovers, Montrose or East Fife does not adversely affect the quality of football in the SPL or the overall quality of the league.

Scotland is probably an exception in northern Europe in that it doesn't have a pyramid system. In other countries, there are far more teams on the 'ladder' than in Scotland.

Playing four times a season is a bit boring though, especially for teams who find themselves in the same league, year after year. But this isn't so bad in the lower leagues because there is so much movement of clubs between the leagues, or at least a chance of it for most clubs.