Fanbase-How are they Different? Liverpool and Everton

Discussion in 'England Rivalries' started by Footie4ever, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    So, I am an Everton fan even though I have to admit I have liked one or two pool players in the past...:eek:

What makes the fan base choose one team over the other in the same city? I understand London...London's enormous...

but what about smaller cities....Like Man U vs Manchester City or Everton vs Liverpool?

Just wondering....

2. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England

WTF?

3. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    Whatever...was just asking.

4. taffhammer

taffhammer New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    london
    most liverpool and everton fans followed blue or red depending on their familes loyalties.
    because of the history of irish emigrants in liverpool i think(i could be wrong) there was a slight religious divide originally.however it was'nt as big an issue like celtic and rangers in scotland.lfc , man utd and celtic still have alot of support from ireland.
    in the 1970's and 80's due to them winning everything except the kitchen sink, liverpool gained support in school playgrounds all over the country(these being the original bandwagoners,and resented by schoolboys up and down the country loyal to their local team).maybe this is why some english BS users give some of you guys a hard time for picking a winning team.

5. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England

It was the Arsenal crest you had when you originally posted that made me question your love of Everton...

I have a friend who fell into that category, although to be fair he's still a fan of Liverpool at the age of 39.

6. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    No, I hear you...I know....it's kind of like pulling for the Texans and Cowboys here. The issue is that there are players I like on several teams. I know which teams I really don't like, like I hate the Cowboys in the US. I really hate Dallas in the MLS.

Arsenal (and Fulham) are my favorite teams....but there are other teams outside London I like as well...just not when they are playing against my favorite or are competitive. I

I realize this is wrong. If I had my way...one would have their home team; it would maintain it's franchise players....they would play in the UK for the majority of their time (not for "other" euro teams). Sports is just more global now...not sure I like that.

If I lived in the UK FT, I know I would be a die hard for just one team...it would be different.

7. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    Ah, but you see...I like Everton... and the other teams I like are usually underdogs. Fulham for God's sake? :)

8. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    One of the more distinguishing features of the Everton-Liverpool rivalry is that even though the town is very even divided (I'd say its 50-50 tbh and this is talking to many fans from both sides of the fence), there is no clear demarcation between the 2 sets of supporters. There's no real trademark that differentiates Everton and Liverpool, like it does with Rangers-Celtic (religion), Club Brugge-Anderlecht (Flemish vs. French), Fener-Gala (Asia vs. European sides of Turkey).

As to the family connections, I don't think they're clear cut. I do think that familiy connections make most fans into the fans that they are, but there are definitely more cases than in any other derby IMHO where families have some members supporting different sides.

Another interesting thing about the derby is the number of players on each side. Michael Owen, Jamie Carragher, Robbie Fowler all supported Everton before they put on the Liverpool shirt. Carra even has an Everton tattoo, which is why he always wear long sleave shirts :eek: I think Leon Osman and Steven Warnock (former Liverpool player) are best mates too.

To me personally...while I do hate the shite, and hope they lose, it takes two to tango, and I look forward to our fixtures every year.

9. taffhammer

taffhammer New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    london
    and arsenal!..only joking.you can follow who ever you want.it's good to see americans taking an intrest in the beautifull game.
    i guess alot of americans follow fulham because of Mcbride.in london fulham are a bit of a forgotten team, knowone hates them and not many follow them.those that do tend to be of the 'barbour and green wellie' type,with a flat in putney and a house out in the surrey countryside.
    everton are just scallies.

10. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    I hear you...I like them b/c they are forgotten...underdog thing again...just like Charlton. ;)

Actually, my heart is with West Ham-wow, what a history! ...just afraid the fans would beat me up if I attended a match! :eek: kidding.

11. blurtz23

blurtz23 Member

Nov 2, 2005
    S. Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so you're a bandwagon fan of teams that are doing lousy?

to each their own...

12. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    not really, no. I know the teams that I care about...history, players, etc...
    So I am assuming you are all about being hardcore? judging who is and who isn't a fan? interesting....

I just love football. (non-American) :)

13. Tone Capone

Tone Capone Member

Dec 6, 2005
    SF Bay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'll claim that. I have a few teams that I love through thick and thin in various sports....other than that, I generally pick teams that have had terrible luck and support them till they are good and then hate them with a passion.

14. blurtz23

blurtz23 Member

Nov 2, 2005
    S. Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm not judging, just asking a question because it seems everytime you post you're following a new team.

like i said....to each their own. :)

15. taffhammer

taffhammer New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    london
    you'd be more than welcome. just don't bring your scarf thats got fulhamarsenalevertondynamo written on it.

;)

16. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    I hear you...I guess it is because some players move around so much these days...which is not always a bad thing. If you live in or love a city...you will always root for that team, no matter who the players...but if you don't, you tend to follow the history, story of that team and your favorite players.

I guess, if I think about it...I'm still undecided to some degree. I do know which teams I'm dyehard for and which teams I don't like. Like MLS, Love Houston, hate Dallas....always will. Not an Adu fan? ;)

17. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    and I like all of your teams of choice...Quakes=Dynamo...Fulham...now if you were just an Arse fan... :)

18. blurtz23

blurtz23 Member

Nov 2, 2005
    S. Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

no, not a big fan of fan freddy, but that's not the main reason for my sig...

19. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    Ahhhh, I see, I see. ;)

20. TheOrator

TheOrator New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Virginia
    Didn't you have an Arsenal avatar before?

21. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Yep, hence my 1st post in this thread.

22. TheOrator

TheOrator New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Virginia
    Well then she's plastic.

23. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    Whatever, I'm plastic. who cares? I know I really like football, I tend to love the play of a few teams, typically NOT the big 4. I do like the play of Arsenal, but am a bigger Fulham fan.

24. TheOrator

TheOrator New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

25. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    Self portrait? If so....you have very small hands. :p