Famous USA persons who love the soccer

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by napolisoccer, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nick Cousins and Radko Gudas of the Philadelphia Flyers kick the ball around before their game against the Pittsburg Penguins at Heinz Field. Pittsburgh defeated Philadelphia 4-2.
    upload_2017-2-26_21-50-26.png

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
  6. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taking pills in Ibiza?

7. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donald Trump having won the election was not so bad, at least in the remake Back to the Future they will be able to do this:

Doctor: What was the president of the United States in 2017 ?
    Marty: Donald Trump !
    Doctor: Donald Trump ?! The reality show host ?

You heard it here first !

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I recall Jake Gyllenhaal mentioning he played soccer growing up and wanted to go pro.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With a name like Gronkowski, I'm sure his relatives followed the game....

13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #363 newtex, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    That's a big assumption. A lot of Poles (and other Slavic people with that sort of name) came to the United States in the 1800s well before soccer was much of a sport. Especially in Eastern Europe.

The biggest wave of Polish immigration to the US and Canada was in the 1870s and 1880s. I don't know about his family in particular but it is a good chance they've been here for a long time.

EDIT: His paternal great-grandfather Ignatius “Iggy” Gronkowski was on the 1924 U.S.Olympic cycling team. Iggy was born in Buffalo, NY in 1897 to Polish immigrants. I'd say most of Rob Gronkowski's relatives to any measurable degree are American. They might be soccer fans but it is not super likely.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah but those people also established clubs along the eastern seaboard and in NY where he is from and have been playing the sport for years. I'm sure Gronkowski wasn't ignorant to the game. I don't know but didn't he play youth soccer like everyone else post 1970?

15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's a completely different point. You said " With a name like Gronkowski, I'm sure his relatives followed the game.." clearly implying that his Polish heritage means a connection to the game.

That is very likely not the case.

Rob Gronkowski was born 1989. He was child in the 90s and early 2000s. There is a good chance that he played soccer as a child as did almost every other kid. (Especially as sports-oriented as his family seems to be. All five boys in the family made it pro in sports.) The vast majority of the other kids playing soccer at that time period did not have Polish surnames. BTW, he grew up in the Buffalo suburbs which I guess is still sort of the eastern seaboard but just barely.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #366 falvo, Apr 18, 2017
    As a general rule though, its true. The game was established in the USA by many different ethnic groups who brought the game from their homelands and translated it to their descendants. If it weren't for my Italian mother , father , uncles and aunts educating me on the game, I would have never played or known about soccer. My parents were from Italy and didn't even care for soccer but they were the ones who turned me on to it. Even though they didn't care either way, it was the only sport they knew and were indoctrinated with.

As far as how Gronk learned or started following the game, I'm not sure.

How Rob Gronkowski Became 'A Huge Fan' Of FC Barcelona, Soccer .

17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    OK, but most people of Polish heritage (and others) are pretty disconnected from their immigrant fore-bearers. In Gronk's case it was his great-great-grandparents who came from Poland, not his parents.

I don't think you call can it a "general rule" for people with "ethnic" names. And why would it be more true for eastern or southern European names? I have mostly Scottish ancestors and my last name comes from the Scottish Marches area of England and Scotland. That is a soccer crazy part of the world. Would you assume that my relatives would follow the game? No, because you could probably assume that they came a while ago. Well, so did people with lots of other kinds of names.

Saying that a last name is going to tell you very much about someone's family connection to soccer is just not very useful.

blacksun repped this.
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm from Louisiana (obviously). I was introduced to soccer when I started attending a Magnet school at age 9. Until that age I think the only thing i knew about soccer was Ladybugs with Rodney Dangerfield and The Big Green.

It's somewhat popular enough though still dominated by white middle class. At least back then it was (late 90s).

soccersubjectively repped this.
  19. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    #369 Tom Ado, Apr 18, 2017
    SeminoleTom repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actress Sophia Bush is a Red Stars fan:
    855876484002709506 is not a valid tweet id

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    she was swooning over United players just a few months ago

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I would think the vast majority of Latinos whose families have been here more than a couple of generations don't follow soccer counter to the media stereotype..

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #374 falvo, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    A lot of Latinos follow or became involved with the sport because of their heritage. Even if many of their families don't really know or care about soccer, their kids may have become heavily involved in Latino leagues and clubs. I know many players who did just that in California. My parents are from Italy and they hated soccer but because I am Italian-American , I also got involved with many Italian clubs as well as other ethnic players and coaches because they played and knew the game. I probably wouldn't have ever played or even known about the sport had it not been for my Italian background. That same thing has been going on with many ethnicities in America for as long as I can remember. This isn't a bad thing but of course the different nationalities helped the sport grow.

25. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah even first generation latinos I know who are mostly baseball, football (NFL) or basketball.