Famous person is dead. R.I.P. [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by That Phat Hat, Mar 16, 2011.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    #2227 riverplate, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    [​IMG]

Ivan 'The Russian Bear' Koloff, Who Beat Bruno Sammartino, Dies At 74
    - CBS Sports
    http://www.cbssports.com/general/ne...the-man-who-beat-bruno-sammartino-dies-at-74/
    Former WWE champion Ivan Koloff has died following a battle with liver cancer. He was 74. One of the World Wide Wrestling Federation’s most notorious entertainers, Koloff (real name Oreal Perras), known as “The Russian Bear,” was a bearded villain billed from the Ukraine, who became extra popular during the 1980s.

Originally from Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Koloff debuted in 1961, settling on the Irish character of “Red McNulty” early on. He began performing as Russian villain Koloff in 1967 and spent the next three decades wrestling all over the world as a top heel.

He won arguably the most famous match of the 1970s, pinning the popular WWWF world champion Bruno Sammartino in Madison Square Garden to win the title before a stunned capacity crowd on Jan. 18, 1971. The Italian hero had previously had a seven-and-a-half year run with the belt. But Koloff lost the title to Pedro Morales three weeks later.

While Koloff remained a main-event star, he was so legitimately despised by fans that his hasty departure from the WWWF in March of 1971 was reportedly out of safety fears due to irate fans.

[​IMG]

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    His pro wrestling hall of fame page:

http://0362dc8.netsolhost.com/halloffamers/bios/koloff.asp

He had a great ability to rile up a crowd, spewing Communist rhetoric. He was on top in the Mid-Atlantic for years, starting in 1974 and was a frequent visitor to the WWWF. “What a hell of a heel he was,” said top NWA referee Tommy Young. “He wasn’t real tall, but thick as a brick; great performer. He was very professional, knew how to get the heat, was willing to do whatever he needed to.”​

I used to sit about twenty feet away from the guy he took the belt from -- at the Pittsburgh Opera.

riverplate repped this.
  4. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clyde Stubblefield died. Along with John "Jabo" Starks, he was one of the two classic drummers for the James Brown Orchestra. That's him on "Cold Sweat," "I Got The Feelin'", "Say It Loud-I'm Black And I'm Proud", and the song that gave him his nickname, "Funky Drummer", possibly the most sampled tune (@ about 5:20) in all of hip hop.

HerthaBerwyn, crazypete13, Dyvel and 3 others repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  6. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Almost listened to "The Dealer" yesterday-- guess I'll track it today instead...:(

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  7. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Our prog heroes are going. I guess its that time. I always had a tough time with Coryell. He was too much a bridge to me. I was always left waiting for him to put the boot in, like McGlaughlin, Holdsworth, Fripp, Morse, DiMeola and the rest were want to do.

8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Caught Larry Coryell live on a couple of occasions, always exceptional and a true innovator. RIP

9. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I used to think wrestling was real in those days :) I did see Waldo Von Erick stabbed by a fan at the old Garden by another fan who thought it was real.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

sitruc repped this.
  12. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    #2237 HerthaBerwyn, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    falvo and Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I just looked him up not so long ago as I wanted to see what he had to say about Trump. I didn't care for his views but I knew people who knew him and he was a good guy. RIP!

14. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Its a grade school insult from back in the day. A word which sounds like what it means.

http://www.sedol.us/

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  17. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hannity said nothing but good things about him.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah despite their political differences , he said they were close friends.

19. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc and usscouse repped this.
  20. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does?

taosjohn repped this.
  22. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    #2247 riverplate, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Paxton underwent heart surgery and had post-op complications and suffered a fatal stroke.

Bill Paxton Dead At 61 - L.A. Times
    http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-bill-paxton-20170226-story.html
    Bill, Paxton, who earned success through roles in movies including “Apollo 13,” “Titanic,” “A Simple Plan,” “Weird Science,” “Twister” “Predator 2” and “True Lies,” as well as that of a polygamist Mormon businessman in the hit HBO series “Big Love,” has died. The actor, who was 61, died due to complications from surgery, according to a statement from a representative of Paxton’s family.

Paxton often found a way to make roles his own. One memorable moment? As Private Hudson in James Cameron’s film “Aliens,” Paxton’s desperate, defeated whine after a spaceship crash became a catch-phrase: “Game over, man! Game over!”

As the jerky brother Chet in “Weird Science” (1985), a young Paxton reveled in the character’s over-the-top antipathy. In one memorable scene, blowing cigar smoke into his younger brother’s face, he said, “How about a nice, greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?”

Paxton played a blue-haired punk rocker in the opening scene of “The Terminator,” a role that led to a friendship with director Cameron and jobs in “Aliens,” “True Lies” and “Titanic.” Paxton’s acclaimed turn in “Apollo 13,” where he was cast alongside Tom Hanks and Kevin Bacon, further confirmed the actor’s abilities.

Paxton also appeared on television in “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” and “Training Day,” and played Sam Houston in the TV mini-series “Texas Rising.”

[​IMG]

Pipiolo and Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
  25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I love the song Galbi.

She did the killer wail on Eric B. and Rakim's Paid in Full.

HerthaBerwyn repped this.