Fallout - New Vegas

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by sinner78, Feb 9, 2010.

1. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Do you guys think that my my saved games from Fallout: New Vegas will work with the GOTY edition of Fallout: New Vegas (assuming it comes out). Does anyone know if Fallout 3 saved games worked on the Fallout 3 GOTY edition? I'm using a PS3 btw.

2. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Difficult to say..
    the DLC usually adds in new weapons and items that have to be compatible with the original game and the other DLC .

3. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    The counter that tells you how much time you've spent playing the game is a nice feature. I now know that I wasted over 120 hours playing Fallout NV.

4. muskiesrock35

muskiesrock35 Member

Nov 28, 2001
    Cincinnati
    Newest patch is up on Steam.

5. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    By happenstance I found out the dlc Dead Money was released for PC about a month ago, so I bought it from Steam.

I've spent a great deal of time in it so far, but I've yet to draw an opinion because I still don't feel like it's started yet. It's a totally different location, not an addition to the main map. The beginning is a bit like Operation Anchorage in that you have missions branching from a central base and it's on rails instead of having you roam. Haven't finished those so I don't now what it's like after that, but there is a hope of something different. Or at least more.

Even though it has quite unique bad guys and setting, it's very New Vegas in flavor - everything is a maze, emphasis on talking to companions at the expense of historical ambiance, talking heads telling you what to do. What's different is it's emphasis on creepiness and frights instead of stand-up fighting. You better be good at close-range weapons. I'm using a knife with a melee stat of 13 because ranged combat is pretty much useless. But you should also have at least a decent score in most thinking stats because they are helpful in the talking you do.

This game also allows you to get up to level 35. I was stupid because I put my level 31 stats into stealth, which didn't turn out that useful. And you have to be careful with your companions. They don't heal and they can die.

Also, 3 or so other DLCs are being planned for New Vegas, so there's life in the game yet.

6. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    I will get the GOTY edition when it eventually comes out.

7. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    I just finished my first run through Dead Money on PS3. I wasn't too thrilled with it TBH. One thing worth mentioning (if it hasn't been mentioned already) is that there are extra skillbooks in this DLC so you can permanently boost up most of your stats by 2 (or 4 with the Comprehension Perk).

8. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, the whole thing ended up being driven by a story with no real exploration. It's the kind of place you won't have any reason to revisit. The story and the setting didn't have a Fallout 3 level of emotional connection either. It's pretty clear that they wanted Fallout with "ghosts" and "zombies" and other considerations were secondary.

So, how many gold bars did you end up taking? I got 3 (only have strength 4 so I can't carry much). It's interesting because all other money is weightless, so it finally gives you some sort of metric of worth to weight. And it's no use dumping guns to get more bars when the guns end up being worth more than their weight in gold.

The extra 5 levels give you an extra 2 even levels to upgrade your stats. This game also gives you 6 or 7 new perks to pick from. One is really useful if your character likes heavy weapons, one is ok if you like light armor. There's also some dialog after the mission is over if you have Veronica as a companion.

There's no way to actually get that Tesla book at the end, is there? Don't mention any spoilers, just say yes or no.

--

Oh, and there's one more way this DLC is very New Vegas in style: you will die a lot.

9. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You know, I was thinking about the difference between New Vegas and Fallout 3 in style and why I like the style of Fallout 3 more even though New Vegas as so many features I like more (like the greater reliance on dialog and the complicated companions). Dead Money really pointed out the difference - New Vegas is based on the Great Man theory of history. The stories are all about "Great Men" (and a few pretenders to the throne) and their desire to shape the world to their personal whims. In fact, your character can be the Great Man if you make certain choices at the end.

There are a number of things I don't like about that. First, it reduces the importance of regular people. I like the histories and the stories. This was particularly bad in Dead Money, where you end up with really big plot holes because there was simply no thought about the regular people in the story.

The second thing is that when morals are completely described by the guy in charge, you end up with no moral core in the game. You cannot complete New Vegas without committing cold blooded murder and genocide against those that mean you no harm. That doesn't mean I don't like situations that are morally ambiguous - I love that. In Fallout 3 there were the ghouls near Tenpenny Tower, or The Pitt, where choices are not clear and endings are fuzzy. But you can still interpret and rationalize what happened, make the events fit the stance of the character you are playing. You can't do that in New Vegas. You can't even just say "I hated to do that, but it had to be done" because there really are ways it didn't have to be done, and the game just doesn't have the options to let you do that.

10. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    I know one of the next DLC will open up the left hand side of the map.
    There was that massive unused slot of land on the left corner..

The game lacked replay value because the order of the game is forced..
    you cant move in certain directions with a lower level character.

11. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    I only took one. I read about some ways you can get all of them. Not sure if they'll work.

Yes there is a way to get the tesla book.

12. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    OK, I managed to escape with all of the gold bars. :D

13. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've been playing it more after the Dead Money mission. I did the Dead Money stuff with Veronica, and I figured out how to get the Enclave quest and did that (not easy because that companion is really buggy). I also rescued Raul because I didn't do that before. The only thing I can't do is the "find the missing laser pistol" unmarked quest because I think I sold that gun somewhere before it was useful and now I can't find where I sold it. I wish I wrote down where I found super hard computers or locks so I could go back and open them.

I think I visited every meaningful unmarked place. The best is one place across the river where you meet up with an extended clan of deathclaws. Did you know that you could hit a deathclaw so hard that they will actually retreat and abandon their babies? Rockin'. Better have lots of space in you inventory before you go. It's really tricky because this location is hard and buggy and crashes so you need to save, but every time you reload, the last batch of deathclaws you killed comes back to life.

Is there actually a store that has enough caps for even one of these?

14. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    IIRC, that pistol doesn't show up until you take that unmarked quest. Are you sure you found it and then sold it? it is specifically called "Missing Laser Pistol" in your Pip-Boy.

Some merchants have around 8000 caps and then you can buy everything else in their inventory with one gold bar. Maybe that robot merchant at the Gun Runners would be an ideal candidate to test this out.

15. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's not where it's supposed to be and it's not in the possession of any of my companions or at my Nipton home. I don't know what happened to it.
    I think that store has between 8000 and 9000 caps, which is the most of any place I know. You can't really buy him out because he has thousands of rounds of ammo. I was thinking of how to convert it to caps because the thing a gold bar's worth of caps is most useful for is repairing the super rare weapons, and that can only be done by caps, not trade.

16. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    The stores replenish themselves every 3-4 days. Maybe you could buy stuff in their inventory and sell it back. Also, Old Lady Gibson had over 11,000 caps in her inventory the last time I checked.

17. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    I'll be honest, I am still re-playing Fallout 3. And I already sold this.

It just didn't connect with me the same way as 3. And It's odd because In almost every way it's "better"

Maybe the PC version would draw me in.

18. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I really do feel that way. I replayed Fallout 3 three times. I think there are couple of reasons for this (besides the emotional one I talked about before).

First, the New Vegas map isn't really as big as it seems. There are large parts in the east and west and top that you can't get to - at least 1/3rd the map. New Vegas is also in a desert. Large parts of the space are near worthless to wander in because they are empty of stuff to look at and empty of stuff to pick through and empty of things to kill. Even some places that are in civilization are big expansive nothings, like the four airports.

Also, there is something off in the balance of the New Vegas. It's really hard for the beginner, but it's really easy at the end even though your stats can never be Fallout 3 high. There's no Fallout 3 equivalent of Albino Radscorpions or Enclave patrols or actually dangerous ghouls to challenge level 30ish players in New Vegas. I really shouldn't be charging 8 adult Deathclaws (including a momma and a papa) with little fear of death, but that's what you can do when you have good armor and better than 70 guns (it took me to after Dead Money to be able to do this, but most of you could probably do this in your regular games) and that's the hardest thing the game can dish out. And you have to seek out those places - you don't get them from wandering.
    Well, we do get user created add-ons. Maybe I will try some of those. The next official DLC ("Honest Hearts") will be out sometime as well. It will have something to do with the Burning Man legend.

--

And what's with killing the Kai-zar? I went to See-zar, and I shot him, but nothing happens except a few people mention that that the Sai-sar is dead. In any case, I'm pretty sure that I've done every quest out there that doesn't involve contradicting quests that I've already done. The only thing left is re-finishing the game, but I can't be bothered.

But I have found out my panorama software works on screen caps from the game. I did make one nice one, but it's a rare hilltop in the game that gives you a decent panoramic view. I'll try Fallout 3 - I'm sure that I will have better luck in that one.

19. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    There is a super deathclaw that can kill level 30 players with one swipe of its claws? Did you find that one yet?

20. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, I did that a long time ago. He's scary tough, but you have to seek him out and there's only one of him (I assume - I never went back).

21. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Yep, there's only one.

Personally I enjoyed this game more than Fallout 3. Maybe it's because it reminds me more of the first and second Fallout games.

22. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Same here, it's no coincidence.

23. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    I wasnt so keen on Fallout vegas because I felt like the game order was forced. You have to do things in a pretty set order at the beginning because impossible obstacles are placed in the way of lower level characters.
    Also the game lacked detailed unique interiors like you see in F3 . In Vegas it was like they copied and pasted the same buildings over and over again.

Didnt really think much of the character lines for the most part.
    F3 had better characters .

24. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The thing that New Vegas had in common with Fallouts 1 and 2 is that they were fantasy role playing first and the setting was just a land that had a nuclear war a long time ago but has since been civilized. The main quest in New Vegas is about a current political battle between big government [NCR], business interests [House], old-time religion [Caesar], and libertarianism [Yes Man]. The place is dilapidated because of Fallout-politics actions and general neglect, not because of the war. The only DC-like place on the map is Boulder, and that wasn't from nukes. Instead we have a state full of people who don't care when the roof falls in or when grandpa dies upstairs and haven't cared for generations.

Fallout 3 is first a post nuclear war experience. It's about the war itself and survival for those living afterwards. The main quest (cleaning water) is all about survival. The Brotherhood has been morphed into a benevolent force for survival. People live in crappy places because you get a real sense that that is the best that they can do at the moment.

And how this connects to the recent discussion about long term playability is that in Fallout 3 you have a continuing role in helping people and putting things right. You can continue to get scrap for Megaton and blood for the vampires and teddy bears for The Pitt and strange meat to Lamplight and locations to the Rangers and Sugar Bombs to Murphy and a half dozen more things. The only continuing quest in New Vegas is the dog tag one. You aren't there to make things right - everyplace already has police and order and doesn't want or need meddlers. You can change the overall politics of the area, but that's a story with an end. The only thing you can do is go around to get rich, which is kind of pointless. You can't even use your wealth on your Lucky 38 room because the stupid decor computer is broken. It's been 6 months!

25. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Fallout 3 is not a post nuclear experience in the sense that it tries to portrait one in real life. If you don't consider fantasy to have mutants and other beings around then you completely lost your perspective.
    I admit that the developers tried to induce more of that feeling, but it can't simply work in a game with the Fallout 60's satire kind of world (nevermind incoherences like the time after the war - more than 100 years).

As for the place being politically dilapidated...hell, what do you expect. Vegas is not Washington. It's a different set so you have to interpret that accordingly. Also let me remind you that you don't necessarily have to help the people in 3, just like you can help people in Vegas - it's not exclusive. You're also inducing the samaritan notion in a world that is for the most part devoided of NPC substance and respective stories...and this is hardly arguable when in comparison (so logically, your emotional cover about Washington population being more sensitive is just ridiculous). Also in Vegas people live by through whatever means possible, so again, it's not exclusive of Washington. If they exploit others is through Vegas mentality and quite frankly...human as well. It's all about survival in the end.

It sounds to me that Fallout 3 supporters want a game that is stripped of the essence and roots of Fallout. At the end it seems like you want to walk around a post-apocalyptic world (and by this, I mean ruins...) and to solely revolve around that grim experience. None of the things you people mention have any correlation with the Fallout franchise and what makes that game unique.

EDIT: I just remembered that we argued about this at the beginning of this thread. :D