Fall River Marksmen

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Barcasox, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I was looking up some American footy history, and got interested in this team. I know that it later merged with fall river f.c., and I've basically read all the online stuff you can find about them. Are there any good books or articles that can enlighten me more about this team, or the American Soccer League in General? I'm looking at buying the ASL history book by Colin Jose and have basically fully dissecetd the RSSF site and also http://www.sover.net/~spectrum/
    Thanks!

ps: oh and http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-16105519682424_2028_3450834 is pretty cool

2. SxSxWxC

SxSxWxC Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Wyandotte Crossing
    Bethlehem Steel were better. ;):D

3. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's difficult to compare Bethlehem Steel and the Fall River Marksmen, because while they played each other many times, their peaks were more than a decade apart. The Bethlehem team was at its best between 1915 and 1919, and was a shadow of its former self during the 1920s. The Marksmen weren't founded until 1922, and their best team probably was in 1930.

4. kp5dese3

kp5dese3 New Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Hoi. Look at :
    www.geocities.com/bethlehem_soccer : 115 items to find and to copy
    www.fultonhistory.com : "brooklyn ny daily eagle" + "new york ny evening post" and soccer ( much to copy )
    DVD box : history of football with around 30 seconds FRM in action ( 1924 )
    www.youtube.com : ftc 1930 with FRM in action ( around 3.09 -- 4.01 )
    Looking at the pictures , FRM colors are blue and white.
    So , what you have got of pictures maybe for me ?
    Thanks and greetings , Jack

5. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 18, 2007
    Green Hell
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm trying to find the video you posted from youtube, but can't. searched for both ftc 1930 and fall river marksmen. can you just copy and paste the link, i'd like to take a look at it. thanks man

6. kp5dese3

kp5dese3 New Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Hello.
    --- also Amazon got the DVD box : history of football 2001 the beautiful game
    --- youtube and ftc 1930 / f meccsek a20-as evekben

7. Kosmo

Kosmo Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Germany
  8. AmericanLibero

AmericanLibero New Member

Nov 26, 2011
    New York City
    Very cool pics! The Fall River logo on the jerseys was surprisingly modern-looking. I will have a write-up on a game that Fall River played against the Indiana Flooring team from New York in a few weeks on my website, www.AmericanLibero.com.

9. Kosmo

Kosmo Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Germany
    I am looking forward to it! :) I always wanted to set up the Marksmen to my old video game, but never managed to do. Some or other things were missing.

10. Jeff Gaydish

Jeff Gaydish New Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I recently obtained this press photo taken during the 1927 National Challenge Cup Final (front and back shown). The participants were Fall River Marksmen (white shirts) and Holley Carburetor (dark shirts). The match was played at the University of Detroit Stadium on 1 May 1927.

Could anyone help me with player identifications?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    It would be nice, if any can put into context how good were those teams (for people like me who doesn't know much about them)

At least, in local and regional context (esp. if they were tested against foreign clubs)

12. Jeff Gaydish

Jeff Gaydish New Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    msioux75: Roger Allaway, the person whom you quote above, is a historian and writes blogs for this site about the history of soccer in the USA. I think you can probably get a feel for the quality of the American game from his articles. You might start with this entry about Bethlehem Steel's summer 1919 Scandinavian tour: <https://www.bigsoccer.com/soccer/roger-allaway/2011/05/22/bethlehem-steel-on-tour/>.

Perhaps a Fall River Marksmen expert will turn up here who can rattle off the names of the players in the picture. I, for example, know the likenesses of Liverpool FC players from the 1920s to the extent that I can usually recognize them immediately. I was hoping someone as conversant with the Marksmen could do the same.

msioux75 repped this.
  13. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Maybe, not the accurate thread to post this (if there are any better please move it)

Hakoah All Stars (USA club) touring South America in 1930, visiting Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay with a record: 2W-8D-5L

This team featured some international players from Central European nations (elite nations by then)
    Lajos Fischer (Hungary-9 caps)
    Laszlo Sternberg (Hun-19)
    Pepi Schneider (Austria-11)
    Pavel Mahrer (Czechoslovakia-6)
    Bela Guttman (Hun-4)
    Moritz Häusler (Aus-7)
    Sándor Nemes (Hun-3 / Aus-2)
    Mürren Carlson (Sweden-20)
    http://gottfriedfuchs.blogspot.com/2014/08/hakoah-all-stars-in-south-america-1930.html