Fall Match 16: Indy vs. New York Cosmos

Discussion in 'Indy Eleven' started by jeffcoop, Sep 25, 2016.

1. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to miss yet another game, and so far have only watched the first half of my recording of last night's broadcast, but my goodness, what a performance this was (I do know the final result). The Cosmos had not conceded a goal since August 27 (in a game the Cosmos won, 6-1) and were leading the fall standings by five points (and leading Indy by seven), but Indy was utterly dominant, moving the ball with unusual effectiveness, pressing well, keeping the Cosmos off balance, and scoring a brilliant goal. I'll watch the rest of the game before the end of the day, but this has to stand as one of the most impressive performances of the season.

The One X repped this.
  2. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it didn't take long in the second half for Indy to put the game away, did it? Ubi to Mares to Zayed for Zayed's thirteenth, and then minutes later Mares on a break to Braun, back to Mares for Mares's fourth of the year. Tremendous start to the half. This goes a long way toward erasing memories of that miserable winless streak.

The One X repped this.
  3. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    If we can play even remotely close to as well as we played last night the rest of the season I don't think we lose a game.

jeffcoop repped this.
  4. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking that part of the improved play is due to the integration of Ubi (injured most of the year, just returning to the field and to form recently) and Torrado (adjusting to the new team and the new league). If so, it augurs well (if both can stay healthy).

The One X repped this.
  5. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Ubi was definitely made a difference Saturday. I also think having Franco back helped. Might just be personal preference, but I like him a lot more than Palmer.

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I was at the Dynamo home game on Saturday night but I was very excited checking my phone for the Indy score. Beating Miami and NY the last 2 weeks has been a nice turn around. Now we just need to do better on the road.

jeffcoop and The One X repped this.
  7. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we'll get a stern road test on Sunday in Edmonton.

The One X repped this.
  8. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    That is a must win in my opinion. Winning puts us in the driver's seat for 2nd with a chance to challenge the Cosmos for 1st. Anything less, and I think catching the Cosmos becomes all but impossible.

9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Does 2nd matter? Aren't we already the #2 seed at least?

Either way I want to catch the Cosmos so I agree that this is a must-win.

jeffcoop repped this.
  10. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Technically no it doesn't, but I'd still rather finish 2nd overall than 3rd.

newtex and jeffcoop repped this.