Falklands / Malvinas heats up

Discussion in 'International News' started by The Biscuitman, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Evita never got elected, though there was the Renunciation, long before I was born. Isabel, Peron's third wife was elected as his veep in September 1973. After Peron died in 1974, Isabel became the first female President in the Western Hemisphere and had a disastrous tenure.

2. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She was a nightclub dancer. Having a celebrity as president -- what could possibly go wrong.

Chesco United repped this.
  3. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I heard go-go dancer. Regardless of your political opinions, she was an utter disaster as President.

4. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    She renounced what would've been the Vice-presidency, despite the massive popular support for her being in the ballot. It was perhaps one of the most dramatics dialogs in a political rally between the speakers (her) and the people who just wouldn't not accept her renunciation, like an open assembly of millions of workers...

Of course, she already had been diagnosed with cancer, but the people didn't know.

Isabel has little to do with anything really, and after Perón death she was only a puppet of the minister López Rega, of the far right. Its not like she had any kind of power... Perón just didn't think he was going to die so soon and leave the country with her as president. Little more than a year after that the military took over the country.

5. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Didn't Lopez Rega get exiled before the coup? I listen to a lot of music from the time period.

6. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wasn't sure as to when he left so I checked again. (Hey, I wasn't alive at the time so you can't blame me...) He wasn't "exiled", he had to resign due to the public backlash on the economic measures that went on in '75. He was appointed ambassador to Spain.

In any case, Isabel never was in charge despite her being the president. To clarify: Its not that I want to clear her of anything. Just to explain she was nothing more than a puppet of other more sinister blokes, a mere incapable woman who was never supposed to be there and happened to become president due to an untimely death (and of course the major political error of having her on the ballot).

So... what music? :coffee:

7. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Anything by Charly Garcia.

8. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not the last, sadly.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was still very young at the time, but my recollection is that Juan Perón himself became a puppet of López Rega towards the end of his life.

Perón was already in poor health and becoming senile by the time he returned to Argentina from Spain in 1973. The Perón-Perón (Juan-Isabel) ticket was a ruse by the right wing branch of the Peronist Party because they knew that Perón was not going to survive for long.

Isabelita indeed was a puppet, a dupe who was used to dupe the masses. She did have as her best asset somewhat of a physical likeness to Evita - which may be a reason Perón was attracted to her in the first place. Her handlers dressed her up to resemble Evita, and prepared speeches for her that resembled Evita's speeches.

While not very bright, Isabelita was enough of an actress to be able to play her role well. López Rega and the right wingers gained control of the party, and the left wingers, like Cámpora, were blinded and betrayed by their loyalty to the senile Perón and the ghost of Evita as represented by Isabelita.

Moishe repped this.
  10. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I didnt mean for people to start giving away their ages... :D

Agree completely btw, Perón was about 80 years old at the time...

11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    HEY.whippersnapper... if we wanna have another 'Old-Off', YOU'RE not gonna stop us :mad:

:giggle:

12. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Go-go dancers make bad Presidents.

13. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    You tell him Naughty.....80 is the new 60! You must be closer to 40 but as there is the Maths involved I won't blind you with the graphs! :coffee:

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Following that logic, aren't I still in my 20's?

I'll be honest, I feel a lot worse this time around :(

roby repped this.
  15. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Well...perk up. Chelsea is on a roll....they're not anything like the exciting teams they had in the 90's but neither are any of the other clubs. :coffee:

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I’m 55 and I’m still a kid. Well, my football skills may have deteriorated a bit, but I can still tango and rock as well as ever.

Moishe and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  17. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hey, you can say you've seen Argentina win the World Cup twice. That's two times more than I can say...

Or ever will...? :unsure:

Moishe repped this.
  18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hope you get to experience it, it's one of life's wanders, to watch our country win it. I have both finals pretty much memorized in my head. Both were intense and dramatic. Kempes and Bertoni in overtime after Netherlands hit the post, and Maradona's pass to Burruchaga after Germany came back from 0-2. Two amazing matches.

Naughtius Maximus and Sandinista repped this.
  19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I remember watching our win in '66 as an 11 y/o.

I know people now like to say we only won it because it was at home and, whilst that obviously help, if you win the WC, regardless of where you do it, you're obviously a good side.

We had some truly world class players at that time.

Guys like Bobby Moore, Gordon Banks and Bobby Charlton most people around at the time will know but fellas like George Cohen at right back was also a truly great player. Incredibly quick in recovery, good on the overlap and usually immaculate in stopping his winger. George Best described him 'as the best fullback I ever played against'.

I'd like to see us win another before I 'fall off the twig'. Don't see it happening though :(

20. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife's parents were married on that day.

In what was then West Germany.

The game was on during the reception. My father in law was something of an intellectual and thought that sports were frivolous. My mother in law though born in Germany was raised in the United States. So soccer was not a big thing in 1950s and 1960s America. People played it but the World Cup was barely known. So it never occurred to them not to schedule their wedding on the day of the final.

My mother in law said it put a damper on the festivities.

Naughtius Maximus and Sandinista repped this.
  21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I’d say...
    It’s a wonder the marriage survived. :D

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wasn't there some US sports journalist that never forgave the sport because it ruined his honeymoon or vacation, (I forget which), when he was abroad in Europe and 40,000 drunk locals turned onto the streets to celebrate their country winning the Euros or WC?

Something like that.

The guy's a sports journo, (who, presumably, only talked about 'murican sports like pointy ball and rounders), and is unaware the worlds largest sporting event is taking place and the country he's going to is in the final and they might be a little excited about it :D

I'm sue I remember something about that.

23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Sometimes justice is done. You have brightened my day.

roby repped this.
  24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just wish I could remember the details.

Anyone?

25. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina