Fair Play or Foul! Dempsey at Fulham V [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TimB4Last, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monarchos159

monarchos159 Member

May 19, 2011
    SATX
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Purely speculation on my part, no need to be a smartass.

But it's not the first time he's lead us on a wild goosechase with no end.

2. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not speculating when I say you're out of order here. Seltzer does better work than anyone in our soccer press. Not every transfer comes off, its just the nature of the beast. Is that his fault? No, its not FIFA or Football Manager fgs.

3. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Seltzer is about as reliable as you can get in this buisness. I cant think of one transfer tidbit that ended up being unfounded and a wild goose chase. Dude knows his stuff.

4. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're purely speculating, on the one hand, and yet, on the other hand, you're sure enough to condemn him for leading us on a wild goose chase--a charge that implies intentionality? This is not exactly the kind of rhetoric with which we engage here.

5. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    Just because nothing happened doesn't mean there wasn't interest. For every deal that gets done, dozens of feelers and scouts get sent out.

If you don't want to be led on "wild goosechases," you should probably stop following the transfer market and just look for the new thread titles on YA.

6. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    I like that Seltzer does provide scoops for talking points, but I will agree that he seems to do this a bit more often than he should. Like he jumps on any whisper he hears rather than report stuff that is a little more concrete. On top of that, there's a lot of times when others report something and he goes on and says "I knew it but couldn't say it", which definitely doesn't help his cause.

7. monarchos159

monarchos159 Member

May 19, 2011
    SATX
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having followed NSC for a while now, I've formed the opinion that he talks himself up a bit about being different from other transfer insiders in that his work is based more on legit information. Yet to me it seems he has the same or lower success rate on his leads than other insiders in a similar position.

Again, just my opinion and I feel I have the right to express it. If having something negative to say against the apparent BigSoccer Patron Saint of Transfer Gossip Greg Seltzer is against the rules, than I will keep it myself from now on.

Now for the sake of staying on topic, I hope I eat my words and see Deuce make the jump up in club quality in a last minute deal.

1 person likes this.
  8. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi, first, we could all do without the snarky tone here. Your assertion is logically inconsistent since you admit to speculation and then claim that he's intentionaly toying with his readers with the only evidence being your own speculation and the fact that he has been wrong on several counts in the past. It's simply unsatisfying argumentation, offered with an inexplicable chip on your shoulder.

In short, you're free to express your opinions, but you're not welcome to get confrontational with forum regulars by making general assertions which, when challenged (which is going to happen during adult discussion), you proceed to back up by claiming that your speculation is better than theirs.

1 person likes this.
  9. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess he could not report what he hears but then there would be bitching there weren't any rumors to sink teeth into.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a sky link in this thread. ?????

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's much more reliable than that asshat Ives. Plus, clubs talk all the time, and a tiny % of what is talked about actually ever happens.

12. monarchos159

monarchos159 Member

May 19, 2011
    SATX
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I was watching Sky on TV all morning and online and checking out espn hoping for any tidbit of Dempsey information. ESPN said that everything was extremely quiet on the Dempsey front. And I can't even recall Clint's name being dropped on the Sky Sports telecast all day.

13. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Ives' -- and I've been a follower until recently -- has gotten less reliable than a heavy-set high school girl around prom time lately.

14. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    I disagree with this big time. Ives reports transfer gossip less frequently but when he does, it is on the money 95% of the time. Just look back at Adu's recent signing with MLS. Seltzer, on the other hand, reports every tiny murmur and is right, at best, 50% of the time.

15. Major Major

Major Major Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Colorado
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but those clubs owe money because they buy players. How can Everton owe so much when they don't buy anyone? Are they owned by the poor house or what?

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Player wages

Dempsey, for example reportedly makes £50k a week (somebody can feel free to correct this).

That's £2.6 million per season. Let's say your starters make that, roughly £20 million, let's say the bench players make £1 million and you're reaching £30 million per season. (all numbers hypothetical of course).

17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I agree and disagree. After his notorious miscalls in previous years, Galarcep does seem to be improving his reporting on transfer moves.

But on the other hand, not reporting every tiny little rumor is a good way to keep the batting average high. And most other American reporters do this as well, so it's good to have one that is unusual.

18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the Premiership tv package was worth £35 million per season to each team? Anyway, that's the number I hear as the value of avoiding relegation

19. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Everton's wages could easily be above that - Arteta was supposedly earning 90k a week (unless that's what he wanted from Arsenal and I got the numbers mixed up). Everton's strategy seems to be, at times, to offer higher wages to their players in order to avoid having to sell them. This comes back to bite them when they can't make up the difference through TV/ticket sales/sale of less important players.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but player wages aren't the only expense a team incurs, just the largest. You also have to pay the front office staff, scouts, youth academy, coaches, stadium upkeep/rent, medical, etc etc.

And personally I think my tally of 30£ million is pretty conservative and was only for a squad of 20 players.

21. richmondlaw

richmondlaw Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    35 million, that's it? With the worldwide exposure of the league I thought it would be alot more than that.

22. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton's revenue is in the 80-95 million range (depending on Euro competitions).

That should be plenty to run a decent EPL team.

23. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton wage bill is around 82 million per season.

Let's get back to Demps

24. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seltzer reported Adu to MLS before Ives, he just didn't know the team.

After some of Ives' disasters he seems to only report things just before they go through, he's gun shy.

Seltzer will confirm rumors he picks up with someone in the know before reporting them, doesn't mean the move will come off but that theres smoke there.

FWIW he said all along that he was unable to confirm Arsenal interest in Dempsey.

PS- iirc only three clubs in the football league turned a profit last year, I'm not sure what it would be for the Premier League but I imagine it would be less than a handful. So in some sense it would be more shocking that Everton were profitable than not.

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe United and Arsenal are profitable. The third, can't say.