Fagundez and the future

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by propnut27, Aug 7, 2011.

1. propnut27

propnut27 Member

Barcelona, Tottenham Hotspur
    Germany
    Mar 15, 2009
    Naples Fl.
    Club:
    --other--
    Dear Mr Kraft,

At this point you have really only two moral choices. You can either:

1. Get started on fixing this team RIGHT NOW. New FO. New coaches. New positive direction, with a firm plan for future success.

or

2. Let this kid go somewhere else where his talent and enthusiasm can prosper. It would border on criminal reglect of a minor to expose this exceptional kid to the cesspool of ineptitude that exists today in the Rev's situation for any longer.

Do the right thing, Bob. Give this kid a chance. He's got his heart set on being a pro footballer. He's shown, (me, at least) that he has the potential to be very special. You owe it to him, and his family to see that he gets the chance to succeed, here or elsewhere.

It does NOT appear to me that it's going to happen here. You've already destroyed any chance that Shalrie might have had by forcing him to stay here when you had no intention of producing a decent side. He could've had that chance with Celtic. It might even be that Taylor, had he been allowed to go to Preston North End, might still be playing, and enjoying the success that he earned busting his hump for you here.

Let him go, Bob. It would be too cruel to stifle him here.

2. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Diego will not grow to his full potential if he stays here. He will always be surrounded by incompetent players that won't be able to get him the ball. Unfortunately, I believe he is stuck here until he's 18.

3. propnut27

propnut27 Member

Barcelona, Tottenham Hotspur
    Germany
    Mar 15, 2009
    Naples Fl.
    Club:
    --other--
    When I wrote of moral choices I was not trying to be sarcastic, or smartass-y. And I know too well that there is often a wide gap between moral choices, and business decisions.

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I don't think that gap needs to apply in this instance.

We're talking about a child here. Everyone saw the joy on that kids face when he came onto the pitch. He's young. He loves the game. He's very gifted. Everything he does radiates with the passion that seldom rears it's head in professional sport.

He deserves the very best in his development environment.

I believe that Mr. Kraft is a good man. I pray that he'll do the right thing by this kid.

Let him go.

4. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Really? What's the story here, do you root for a team you hope they send him to?

5. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    They seemed to have no trouble getting him the ball last night.

6. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    I know nothing, but I doubt a kid under 18 can enter or be entered into a legally binding contract. Doesn't FIFA have rules about this as well?

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That requires ethics. You don't become a savvy billionaire if you have ethics.

8. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy over-reaction, Batman.

9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad thing is, that's where this club has fallen in the minds of many.

10. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm more worried about SN. He seems to have a thing about not playing younger players. The kid showed a lot last night and I bet it does NOTHING when it comes to getting him back on the field again. SN's the problem... not the organization in this case

11. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because so far the Revs have done a really awful job of bringing this kid along, huh?

12. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fagundez has had incredible success at every level he's played, and had incredible success in his first half hour with the big team. There's no reason at all not to play him for the rest of the season. He wants to play, we want to see him play, he'll put fans in the seats, he'll give us more goals -- really, it seems like a no-brainer to me. Let Lekic rot on the bench nursing his toe, and put Fagundez out there with Caraglio. We're playing for the next year at this point anyway.

13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with this. We've been playing for next year since May when it was clear our signings were busts and this team wasn't going to make the playoffs. Time to bring out the kids. If it were me, I'd play Fagundez + my reserves to see if there was any quality in the system because there's really not much at the big team level.

14. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd give you perpetual REP if I could..

15. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen, I liked what I saw from him last night, but the kid is NOWHERE NEAR ready to play significant MLS minutes.

16. Free Dempsey

Free Dempsey New Member

Oct 26, 2006
    I'll take Diego over Caraglio....what did he do for 61 minutes....walked, waited for the ball to be played to him, never worked to get himself open, rarely fought for the ball...he's the one we've been waiting for?

17. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    I agree. The kid is small and still growing (the size of a HS sophomore). No way he has the musculature (or closed growth plates for that matter) to safely compete against grown men for extended time. Each time he is out there he runs a risk of injury that is higher than average. That is undoubtedly a risk he and his father are happy to take, but not one Nicol should exploit.

He should see moderate time (20-30") in games over the rest of the season. He will get stronger and probably bigger over the next two years. Next season he will be better equipped to tolerate the physical tests he will need to pass.....if he does not trial somewhere else first and end up on a youth team in a better league, which is what would likely be better for him.

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo. The kid is 125 pounds. Chivas wasn't sure how to handle him, but the next team will actually have video and will learn that it will be pretty easy to physically get him off the ball. Even Feldman made that comment last night.

19. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    After Adu's first season he added a significant amount of muscle as he couldn't compete otherwise. I think Diego will likely have to do the same.

20. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass

I know Chivas sucks, but it can't be *that* hard to figure out that you can muscle a 125 pound player off of the ball. A lot of our recent forwards will back me up on that one.

21. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Yup.

22. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. I actually don't want to see him play even that much. Some 16 y.o.'s are ready physically to play a good chunk of minutes, but he's just not there yet. Tough situation for him and the club - I hope they do the right thing and he and his parents understand it.

23. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Deigoal on Saturday was a welcomed breath of fresh air. There was a point where Chivas were moving the ball up the field from their own box and all of the Revs were moving lock-step, in formation. Deigoal was making this amazing off the ball run, moving from left to right through defenders. The Revs are an easy team to defend against, man-mark the 2-3 playmakers and then just zone everyone else and wait for the turnover. We need more brilliant off-the-ball runs if we're going to consistently score from the run of play.

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I bought him a custom Fagundez #9 US Jersey, is there any way the SGs can get it in his hands? Does anyone have a guess at what size he takes?