Fact or Fiction: The J-league is the best domestic league in Asia

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by pc4th, Apr 11, 2009.

?

Fact or Fiction: The J-league is the best domestic league in Asia

1. Fact

25.0%
  2. Fiction

75.0%
  1. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    What?

That's a DPT comment right there.

2. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    J-League is better in terms of money but I think Saudi League gets better foreign players (Tayeb,Willhemson,Boucharoune,Prince Tagoe..ect.)

3. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What does DPT mean?

I think greenlion was being sarcastic.

Anyway, I think the Saudi league is okay as far as the top teams are concerned, but Saudi clubs and Japanese clubs have not faced each other since the 2001 Asian Super Cup, so it's hard to judge. I suspect the J-League has a lot more depth to it than the Saudi league.

4. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's funny how no non-Saudi posters here know who he is, yet he is in my opinion the best quality player in the entire Champions League.

It's sad that today will be his last match in the ACL. FIFA have no heart or soul. :(

5. persiangulf4ever-redded

Nov 27, 2008
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You may not know this, but number 1 spectator sport in Japan isn't football. In fact when I lived in Japan and talked to my Japanese co-worker none of them said they followed football. Their main sport is baseball. (of course after sumo)

If football was number 1 in Japan, the gap between your league and Japanese league would have been bigger.

(1) In Japan baseball players earn much more money than footballers. There is an Iranian-Japanese baseball star called Darvish. He is still only 21 but his annual salary is 4 million US dollars.
    (2) Because of (1) or the popularity, Japanese football struggles to draw promising athletic kids. Every Japanese kid wants to join professional baseball.
    (3) Everyone says Japan has nice football stadiums. It's a myth. Most of the J-League venues are quite UGLY compared to baseball stadiums because football is disliked by the politicians.

I would say Japanese football has a larger potential than Saudi Arabia.

6. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    x2

Also Sayf,
    DPT=Dumb post thread in WR:D

7. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Does it need to be the number 1 sport in Japan? Japan's population is around 120 million, which is why they can manage such high attendances even though football is not their number 1 sport (and I certainly don't think their venues are ugly!). I don't buy the argument that talented kids don't play football because they all want to be baseball players. I think the true measure is not attendance or how the sport compares to other sports in popularity but rather the number of *players* there are in the country, and I'm pretty sure the number dwarfs that of Saudi Arabia.

Add to that the fact that Japan is a developed nation whose football is overseen by competent professionals and includes relatively sophisticated youth systems (as opposed to Saudi Arabia where the same corrupt dinosaurs have been in charge for decades and the best talents are still basically discovered on the streets), and it's impressive how Saudi clubs can still keep pace despite Japan introducing professionalism 20 years ago (though Japan seems to have finally started to pull ahead in the past 3 years).

NaBUru38 repped this.
  8. Laith

Laith Member

May 10, 2006
    Club:
    Al Nasr Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Its a given (and I think everyone knows) that football arent the number one sports in Japan, Australia and perhaps Korea as well.

Football in Japan is still popular enough for the J-league to have a high following. I remember watching a documentary mentioning how football also replaced baseball a long time ago as the major sport in Japanese elementary schools for their PE. Keep in mind Japan has a 100 million more people than Saudi Arabia, so they have a larger pool of potential viewers to draw from.

9. takman-redded

takman-redded Red Card

May 24, 2009
    Club:
    ABC Natal
  10. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Stadiums look pretty average to me.

Other than the King Fahad International stadium, nearly every Saudi stadium looks like that.

According to a 2007 FIFA report, Japan is 12th place in the world in terms of players registered (though indonesia is 7th)

Technically it was 16 years ago. ;)

11. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was talking about Japan, not KSA. I think the J-League started around 1990 or something? I don't know whatever.

12. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    no man, that's what i believe, The Chinese media had made a special report on Saudi League before, world class invest from the government into the league in Saudi, so many famouse foreigner imports and the well established clubs, budget are 5 or 6 times higher than east asian leagues, with this facts saudi league definitely the best in quality of play & financial.

don't forget as other posters said, Saudi, along with iran and some other Gulf countries, are "football nations" while none of the eastern asia countries takes football as No.1 Sports. in China the professional league have no support from the government, and the budget for our National team is only 4m USD a year. that sucks, football will never have hopes in country like China.

BTW, Saudi is called "Brazil of Asia" in Chinese media ;)

13. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I think the plan to lauch pro league in Japan was set up in middle 1980s, In China it starts in 1987, they firstly started a Semi-pro leagues and give the clubs 7 years to realise professionalism, find new investors and organise the fans, then the professional League was introduced in 1994

14. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still, the third best in the world in term of talents?

Do you even watch the Serie A? Bundesliga? The Saudi league isn't in the top 10 in term of level of play. Only 1 Saudi team left in ACL after the round of 16. Not exactly the third best league in the WORLD.

15. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't think anyone here seriously thinks it's in the top 10 let alone top 3, so let's not belabor this issue.

Regarding 1 team left, yeah I cautioned against reading too much into the early successes in the group stage. HOWEVER, bear in mind that one club got knocked out by another Saudi club, another got knocked out but is still 15 games undefeated in Asia, and the third club (Ettifaq) are only about the 5th or 6th best team in the league yet still gave credible performances.

16. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    J League started 1992.

2009-1992= 17.

I was off a year. :p

17. gambiano77

gambiano77 New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Here
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I know this is hairsplitting, but J League started in May 1993.

18. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    So my original calculation was correct? Good. :)

19. leohoenig

leohoenig Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Shipton
    Club:
    Cheltenham Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So is the J-League the best? I think the jury is still out, although the evidence does point in its favour. The trouble with the West Asian Leagues, is that there is a shortage of information coming from that direction. I can see how they do in Asian competition, but I do not know much about either the Iranian or Saudi Leagues (which I feel I am secure in feeling are the top two in the region).

What are the average crowds in these two countries?
    Those speaking for Saudi Arabia seem to mention the quality of the imported players - this is an area where Japan does sometimes let itself down. The fashion in Japan for signing Brazilian imports is so strong, that other players, and the best balance for the teams are ignored.

Signs in China are good this season - despite the poor record of the national team, reports say thay league attendances are significantly up on last season. Is this a sign that the Chinese football supporter no longer considers that black whistles are corrupting the league?

Two new teams in the A-League has got to be a good thing. Ideally, this will build up to around 18 teams, and hence if keeping its mid-year start, it will still take in most group games in the ACL before closing.

I have never been to central Asian, but it is clear that it is not competing with the top leagues, either east or west.

That leaves South East Asia - my first few visits to Malaysia allowed me to see a local league with crowds over 20,000 - while my first trip to Japan saw me watching a JSL match in front of under 500! Things have changed.

The Malaysian League has dropped in quality with every change in format over the years, while of the other leagues in the area have hardly progressed over the years. The exception is the Thai League, which cannot help but improve, starting from nothing!! Possibly the best league in the area is Vietnam, but money is short there, so players leave teams with average crowds over 10,000 to go to play in front of 10% of that in Singapore. AS with Vietnam, the Indonesians need to shout out and remind the world that there is a fair product there.

20. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    I don't know, Saudi Arabia doesn't take attendance figures. Iran I believe is the number 1 in average crowds I think.

Uzbekistan's League is doing very well actually.

21. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    You are absolutely right. There are absolutely no Japanese clubs founded in 1938, 1939, 1940, etc. in existence today. They all sprung out of nowhere in 1992.
    Exactly like MLS.

If you consider 1 team dominating through financial might and a 2nd team not too far behind outpacing everyone else completely as "doing very well", I would be forced to agree with you.

22. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    So they're like the EPL,La Liga and the Serie A?

nearly every major league has teams that completely dominate the rest.

23. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yes, which -- to me -- makes them neither good nor bad.
    As much as I don't like EPL, if you look at the average team they're not so bad (though they play like sht if you ask me). A better example is probably La Liga. A lot of quality top to bottom even though the top2 dominate.
    I'm not so sure the same is true of Uzbekistan. All the players are on 2 teams... the other teams strike me as being rather poor and unremarkable.
    KSA has teams that are outside of big3... even though they win the title... those teams can have an impact. Same of JLeague and KLeague.

If you ask me, Uzbekistan just has 1 team loaded with silly money. It's like having ManCity in the ILeague (exaggerated yes, but that's the point) wouldn't make the entire ILeague very good.

24. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Frankly, Man City is shite. Chelsea would be a better description.:p

I see what you mean though.

25. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    If you do not know the history of the league, do not assume things. Read and study about the league before you post. Your comments tells me that you know absolutely nothing about the Japanese leagues and its history.