Fact or fiction: Serie A is the third best league in Europe (behind Premiership and La Liga)

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by pc4th, Jun 5, 2009.

?

Fact or fiction: Serie A is the third best league in Europe (behind Premiership and La Liga)

1. Fact

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fiction

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Go watch the Bayern v Fiorentina series last season.

2. Bundesligafan

Bundesligafan Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    from wat i rmb viola had one offside goal as well. so u guys bribe as well? according to statistic proof, the chance of serie a cheating is much higher.;)

3. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Let's hear it.

4. Bundesligafan

Bundesligafan Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    u mean u forgot the famous 2006 italian scandal
    viola was one of the teams tt were involved

5. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Do you know anything about this famous scandal?

6. Bundesligafan

Bundesligafan Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    i do not know the details but i do know it briefly. these clubs were accused of appointing favorable referees in serie a games, rigging them in the process

7. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    I just realized that this thread may have been the more appropriate address for my posting in the other coefficient-related thread, thus I am reposting it here:

Getting back to the original topic, I would like to add my to cents, that I believe it will be at least three to four years before Italy can get spot #3 back and they will likely have to take it from Spain.
    If you take the coefficient results for the 06/07 season out of the equation, which will happen next summer, Italy will concede another 2.5 points to Germany and Spain will concede 9.5 points. That means if all three leagues achieve the same number of points this season, Germany will be roughly 7.5 points ahead of Italy and slightly ahead of Spain. That's where we are right now.
    Of course Germany has benefited greatly from the fact that Euro-League wins count just as much as Champions League wins, but the purpose of the UEFA coefficient is not to reflect your leagues chances of winning the Champions League, but to reflect the strength of the league as a whole. Given that fact, it may be true that Germany only has one big one, while England has four (five with Man City), Italy has three and Spain has two big ones (in this respect Juve and AC Milan have their work cut out for them, if the don't want to drop out of that tier of big teams over the next few years).
    At the same time Germany has by far the strongest second tier with seven (maybe eight) teams that are on par: Schalke, Leverkusen, Werder, Dortmund, Stuttgart, Wolfsburgs, Hamburg (and Hoffenheim, our in-vitro team). These teams may not be superior to the likes of Roma, Firenze, Valencia, Athletico, Fulham, Tottenham or the likes, but they are definitely on par and the Bundesliga fields by far the biggest group of teams in that range of strength, that's what makes the Bundesliga exciting and attractive, because it makes for more competition and more really exciting games on any given day of the series.

Now while everyone was able to see during the world cup that Germany has done some decent work in the youth department over the last years, here are some other factors that make the Bundesliga strong in comparison to Italy, Spain and England:

While the EPL tops Europe in revenue, the Bundesliga was took spot number one in profits and growth (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...e-1996805.html).
    Another Deloitte study looking at revenue by club shows that in Europe's twenty, the EPL fields seven teams, while the Bundesliga comes in with five clubs, while Italy and Spain bring in four and two, respectively (http://www.goal.com/en/news/755/euro...league-in-full).
    The revenue situation in the Bundesliga is also more secure, as the teams have less income from TV-sales and tickets than the other leagues and their financials are therefore more diversified.
    The Bundesliga is also the healthiest when it comes to debts (http://www.spiegel.de/international/...675938,00.html).
    Finally, the Bundesliga also has the highest attendance out of the top four European leagues (http://www.eufootball.biz/Marketing/...ttendance.html).

Given all these facts, which admittedly make me as a fan very happy, I believe the Bundesliga has well earned spot number three or even two in the UEFA-coefficient ranking for the time being and if they can keep it up, Italy will have to get their third spot from back from Spain.

8. b4rcelona

b4rcelona Member

May 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    seriously. just that meeting and you say the ref is in their pocket.. my oh my. Where was this ref when bayern played inter?
    Refs make bad calls.. Get over it.

9. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Me thinks you're getting ahead of yourself.

10. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bundesligafans heared this several times, when it came to SerieA. You got some arguments or you just do some nerdrage? E.g. which place you think could your favorite clubs reach in the Bundesliga? Think about.

p.s. I don't believe that Bundesliga will gain the 2nd place during the next 5 years.

11. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I won't say that it will definitly happen because it will be tough considering that Spain has Barca and Real to collect points but if you take a look at the ranking you will see that the Bundesliga is already tied with La Liga when you look at the last three years.
    If the Bundesliga is this year just a little bit better than La Liga then they are already ahead next year.
    So its for sure possible but not that it matters much and its gonna be close either way.

12. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    after reading that, just went to bert kassies site, in order to pour scorn on whatever the poor blabbermouth above had deluded himself into thinking. but, fk me, jump forward just one season to the 2012 rankings, and he is absolutely correct, germany does overtake spain into second place. what on earth is going on? much as i love to denigrate la liga in a battle for supremacy with the epl, but i hadnt even the slightest inkling that either la liga had dropped in power, or that the bl had grown in any way. la liga fans had better watch out, if they dont get their act together they will be dropping to 3rd, something that for the entirety of the 2000s would have been considered utterly unthinkable.

the bl has all the ingredients required for success, but it is never up to one participant, it is all relative to the success of other leagues. if the bl were to get into a position of power, a place they havent been for quite sometime, they would be, of course, a worthy adversary. hope spanish clubs get their act together as i have very much enjoyed the 2 horse race which it has been for many seasons now.

13. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Oh, you mean the series where both Bayern and Fiorentina were given an offside goal?

Great evidence, genius. Keep spouting your bullsh-t.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Was the Fiorentina player 5 yards offside though?

15. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    guys, drop it, i am neutral in this between the two leagues. fiorentina got totally and royally ********ed on that one, no words can change this. it was an alltime disgrace up there with anything that moggi, de mendebil or solti or any other crook got away with over the years. it was worse than the geoff hurst 66 call, the lampard 2010 call, the ronaldinho red card in 02, it was up there with the hand of god. disgrace.

16. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Mmm, what? They would need a much better current season than spanish clubs to accomplish that. 2006-07 La Liga has a huge advantage, and in 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 slight advantages, they only have a very slight advantage in 2009-2010.

17. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was an offside goal like a douzend did happen every season in every league.:rolleyes:

18. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I already talked to you about this, you mind explaining why you're rewinding this bullshit all over again when I discussed it back then? I seem to remember you left it alone once I started discussing it with you and now you come back when you see someone agreeing with you.
    Yawn, this has already been explained. Both teams got undeserved goals at the end of the day. How about you move back a few pages when this was discussed instead of bringing the same recycled crap once again?

Hey guys, who wants to discuss the offside goal from Sampdoria yesterday? Ohh wait no one! :D

19. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    wtf are you talking about?

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2011.html

this is current standing. use the panel on the top to jump one year ahead, and you get this

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2012.html

where it can be clearly seen that ,if ceteris paribus, germany will be ahead of spain.

and equil, marginal offisides are forgettable, ones like what happenned to la viola are a disgrace, especially when the impact on the result is so immesurable , and to a side like bayern, who had a lot of referee help in 2010, and the fact they reached the final, and that fiorentina were such hot shit in europe till that call etc, etc. your perfectly within your rights to defend your club but you have been pushed into defending a very unjust postion by very opinionated posters like duck. not going to waste time debating it with you, but you are wrong, and im pretty sure you would admit this if it werent for the views of some posters here. we can just leave it at that.

20. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think you don't know how to read those tables.

21. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    So, blabbermouth or not, did I effectively end this discussion or what?

For what it's worth, all I meant to say is that Italy will have a hard time regaining the third spot in the next couple of years and even Spain is not secure.

Nobody knows what will happen over the coming season, but looking at the transfers and at what happened since last season, I don't think there's any significant reason to believe that Bundesliga teams will do worse in the Champions League and Europa League this season than last year or that Serie A or La Liga will be any better. They'll have to step it up.

Thus right now: Italy as third best league in Europe is pure fiction.

22. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    you should really take a better look at it yourself because its definitly correct that germany onlys needs a slighty better season to be ahead of Spain and the ranking shows exactly that.

23. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Actually Germany needs two seasons in a row where they are slightly better than Spain.
    So speaking of "Bundesliga will be ahead of Spain" is maybe a little bit out of place. :rolleyes:

I mean come on, so we had one better season (wow we were 0.155 points better!) than Spain after 11 seasons where Spain was always better than us and now we WILL BE ahead of them, because at the beginning of this season we're leading them with 0.916 points?

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe you can explain it to us?

25. ImOnFire15

ImOnFire15 New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    La Liga >> Serie A! C'mon now. Serie A is awful now and its embarassing. LMFAO at Sampdoria