Fact or fiction: Serie A is the third best league in Europe (behind Premiership and La Liga)

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by pc4th, Jun 5, 2009.

?

Fact or fiction: Serie A is the third best league in Europe (behind Premiership and La Liga)

1. Fact

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fiction

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or is it still the best or second best league in Europe? A few years ago, this would have been the case. Have opinion changed in the last few years?

2. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England
    Spain

<gap>

Italy

<gap>

Germany

<gap>

France

3. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    England
    <gap>

Spain
    <gap>

Italy/Germany
    <gap>

France

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    England
    Spain
    Italy

<gap>

Germany
    France

5. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Fact or fiction: pc4th starts more useless polls than all other BS posters combined.

6. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He is from the North Poll.

7. MilanOnlyMilan

Oct 24, 2005
    Lithuania
    There is no way Spain has a better league than Italy. No point to even discuss this. Premier league is a bit better at the moment, though.

8. ApproachWithCaution

Dec 16, 2006
    South Wales, UK.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Lol Barcelona just won the Champions League and Spain has won more European Cups/Champions League than any other nation.

Serie A is behind both England and Spain by quite a margin.

9. MilanOnlyMilan

Oct 24, 2005
    Lithuania
    None of your arguments shows that La liga is better than Serie A.

10. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    To be fair his justification was a tad stronger than the argument you put forward

11. MilanOnlyMilan

Oct 24, 2005
    Lithuania
    My older post regarding this topic:
    Why exactly Serie A is miles behind La liga? I can't think of any advantage they have over Serie A. The quality of football is absolutely the same, the depth is better in Serie A, also there are more big clubs in Italy (which makes the league more exciting), much better atmosphere during the matches. Not to mention most matches between clubs from these countries ends in favour of the italians. Strange thing is that i see these kind of statements of La Liga being better than Serie A very often...

12. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    You can prove this? the only way to have any sort of comparison are from European competitions. Has Serie A done better than La Liga lately in this regard?

13. MilanOnlyMilan

Oct 24, 2005
    Lithuania
    There are a lot more factors actually, including the ones i mentioned. Showings in European competitions are just one of those factors.

14. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Other factors.. Ok, maybe the "fantastic" show your mediocre clubs showed in UEFA Cup? Or the atmosphere your talking about. I see old, ugly and empty stadions. Stars were seldom right now and they leave Serie A in numbers. Lately in 2 years u lost position 3rd to Bundesliga. Wake up, Serie A is the only league that loses ground.

15. MilanOnlyMilan

Oct 24, 2005
    Lithuania
    You do understand what atmosphere is?

16. j.fisher

j.fisher So Much Better

May 3, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite simply yes. Serie A is behind the English and Spanish leagues. The gap however is debatable.

17. j.fisher

j.fisher So Much Better

May 3, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the easiest way to make this argument is to use to example of European competitions. Since it's inception, a Spainish side has won the European Cup/Champions League 12 times, an English and Italian side both 11. But the recent trend has shown La Liga and the Premier League to be the 2 clear heavyweights. Let's use the past 10 seasons as an example, since the 1998–99 season, an Itialian team has won the Cup only 2 times. A Spanish team has won it 4 times, and a English team 3.

Serie A still earns more money than La Liga overall (2nd to only the Premier League), but it seems as though La Liga and the Premier League draw a higher quality of player or produce a higher quality from youth set ups.

I'm not bashing Serie A, I enjoy it. But there is nothing wrong with admitting their place in the hierarchy of European leagues.

18. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    Why Italy is behind Spain and England? Well, comparing the top (CL-) teams, it's quite obvious. The English big 4 and Barca have been better than anyone from Italy recently. So, if you wanted to argue about Italy being as strong or stronger, you'd have to take in-depth strength. But looking behind the top clubs in Italy, is there any greatness? Lazio in CL last season was a failure, this season Fiorentina had a tough draw, but so had Atlético, and they survived the group stage. And while the Spanish clubs weren't as spectacular as before in the latest 2 UC seasons and the English didn't have any great success there, either, you'll have a very hard time convincing anyone of the greatness of midlevel Italian teams by showing the 'spectacular' results of Sampdoria, Palermo or even Udinese.

19. MilanOnlyMilan

Oct 24, 2005
    Lithuania
    Simply put, i don't think that the amount of trophies during the last 10 years shows which league is better at the moment. It's just not that simple. And I'm not saying that Serie A is better than La Liga, in my opinion those are equal leagues (as a huge fan i prefer Serie A of course).

20. j.fisher

j.fisher So Much Better

May 3, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all opinion. There is no clear qualifier to say A is better than B, and B better than C. The Champions League is the closest we have, as far as on the pitch determinations. I used the 10 year window because the decline of Serie A (in my eyes) has been going for a while now.

Again, to each his own, but for me the status of the "big" European leagues after last season is like this:

1. England
    2. Spain
    3. Italy
    4. Germany
    5. France

21. MilanOnlyMilan

Oct 24, 2005
    Lithuania
    Serie A is a little bit behind Premier league at the moment. I agree with that. Better stadiums, bigger crowds, money, good perfomance against Italian teams in CL. But definetely not La Liga. In my opinion this league declined this year. Financial problems in Valencia, weakened Sevilla, same old Real Madrid, unable to show any impression in Europe... Serie A is on the rise and unless financial crisis will make some seriuos impact, i see it overcoming La Liga, and challenging Premier league.

22. MilanOnlyMilan

Oct 24, 2005
    Lithuania
    The thing is in CL you have only 4 teams, while the local championship consists of 20 teams.

23. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    No, but we can only compare those clubs in CL and those in UC. And the Serie A clubs didn't do very good in either of them, not compared to La Liga and the EPL.

24. MilanOnlyMilan

Oct 24, 2005
    Lithuania
    True that. But as i said you have to see a bigger picture. And it shows that La Liga has it's own problems.

25. Gmak

Gmak BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 13, 2005
    Seria A weakend by bribery corruption allegations, not yet good enough Juventus, Old Milan and only one Defensive Inter.