PBP: FAC - Manchester United FC vs Brighton Hove & Albion FC - Mar 17, 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    [​IMG]vs [​IMG]

Competition: Football Association Cup
    Venue: Old Trafford
    Time: 19:45 (BST), 15:45 (EST)
    Channels: BT Sport 4K UHD(UK), BT Sport 1(UK), MUTV(UK), Fox Sports GO(US), fuboTV(US), Fox Sports 2(US), Fox Deportes(US), Sportsnet World(Canada), SuperSport 3 Africa (Zambia), SuperSport Select 2 Go(Zambia)

Manchester United injuries: Rojo (knock), Jones (knock), Blind (ankle), Herrera (hamstring), Ibrahimović (knee)
    Brighton & Hove Albion injuries: Bong (knock), Knockaert (suspended), Stephens (knock), Brown (knee), Sidwell (back), Skalák (ankle),

Manchester United last 6: W-D-W-W-W-L
    Brighton & Hove Albion last 6: W-D-W-W-W-L

Manchester United last result: 1-2 home loss to Sevilla FC (UCL)
    Brighton & Hove Albion last result: 2-0 away loss to Everton (EPL)

Last Encounter: 1-0 home win (Nov 2017)

Manchester United last starting XI (4-3-3):
    de Gea, Valencia(c), Smalling, Bailly, Young, Fellaini, Matić, Lingard, Rashford, Sánchez, Lukaku

Brighton & Hove Albion last starting XI (4-4-1-1):
    Ryan, Schelotto, Duffy, Dunk(c), Bong, Knockaert, Kayal, Pröpper, Izquierdo, Groß, Murray

=====================
    this is all that's left. have to win the whole thing and even then...

i'll watch but i'll be as deflated as everyone else in OT. it's whatever at this point

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Start Martial, bench Sanchez. He hasn't earned the right to start.

3. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    I would shuffle the back four to be honest.

Romero

Valencia
    Bailly
    Jones
    Shaw

Matic
    McT

Sanchez
    Mata
    Lukaku
    Martial

Bench: Pogba De Gea Young Rashford Lingard Darmian Smalling

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team I would like for this weekend:

Romero
    Valencia. Bailly. Lindelof. Shaw
    McTominay. Carrick. Pogba
    Mata. Lukaku. Martial

In defense, wouldn't mind sitting Valencia, but apart of AY, there are no real alternatives (Darmian aside). Lindelof gets the nod next to Bailly: Smalling needs a game off and last I checked, neither Rojo or Jones are fit. Plus, it's time to start giving Lindelof and Bailly together an actual chance.
    In midfield, if Carrick is fit, I'd give him the start. Matic needs a break as well (keep him on the bench and bring him on later, if needed to close out the game).
    Upfront, I'd definitely sit Sanchez for this. His play has not be up to standard, especially with way too many giveaways. Have him on the bench as well and hope that we can guide a hefty lead, and bring him on then, with less pressure, with the hope he can build his confidence then.
    On the left, Martial needs a start but if Jose were to stick with Rashford, I'd really have no issue with it whatsoever.

5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    J. Pereira on the bench not DdG

jeff070 repped this.
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest worry here is that the players will carry a hangover from the Sevilla game, which Brighton could make us dearly pay for as they'll probably come out to play.
    As far as the crowd is concerned, you can't ask much from them unless they're given a reason to cheer and be loud. Hopefully, Jose will recognize that and not set things up for an overly timid and boring approach.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose has confirmed that the same players who were available Tuesday vs Sevilla are in contention for tomorrow, meaning that Rojo, Jones, Blind, Herrera and Zlatan are still out for tomorrow.

8. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Martial needs to play.

Rooney20 repped this.
  9. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    lukaku
    martial - sanchez - mata
    matic - pogba
    shaw? - lindelof - bailly - valencia
    romero

jeff070 repped this.
  10. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    2 weeks ago, the sky was falling due to the fear that we'd fall out of the top 4 because we were facing Chelsea and Liverpool. Oh well, we won those games, so now the crisis is falling out of the CL.
    We can still fall out of the top 4, maybe want to take a bit of interest in the next games.
    It will be interesting to see if Pogba starts tomorrow.

11. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    A more accurate description would be that, 2 weeks ago, people who rightly saw that our form was at grave risk of undoing our season thought that this would manifest itself in our league position, but instead (for now) it's led to us dropping out of the CL in horrendous fashion, and our manager having a meltdown of a presser trying to make out that we need to spend 10 times what middling CL clubs are worth just to be able to compete with them. Or not, as the case was.

12. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    #12 lynne, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Kind of like the old days.....says Wikipedia -- you'd say that not making the CL was odd, but there wasn't much strange about not winning the CL.
    Didn't make CL -- 2017 (won Europa League), 2015,
    Out in Group Stages -- 2016 (out in Europa League Round of 16), 2006
    Round of 16 -- 2016, 2013, 2012, 2005, 2004
    QF -- 2014, 2010, 2001, 2000
    SF -- 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002
    Runner's Up -- 2011, 2009
    Won -- 2008, 1999

Yikes! I'm channeling Mourinho and didn't realize it. Honestly, all the fans who are offended that Utd didn't make the QF, SF, or won....I remember back in the day when Utd would win in the PL all the time but couldn't progress in the CL. At that time, people hinted that maybe Sir Alex had a flaw in his ability, but they definitely knew that progressing in the CL wasn't a given.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Izquierdo, along with Gross, will be the 2 guys to watch. Will have to be careful about Murray: simple rough and tumble type player, but he's been hot lately.
    Relieved that Knockaert will not be available for this one.
    Gotta have a good and fast start for this one, in order to, as previously mentioned, get the crowd into the game and fully behind the team.

14. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Izquierdo will be eaten alive by Valencia, he is physical incapable along with not end product.

I am more worried about Murray against Smalling.

15. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Dropping out in horrendous fashion, I said. Nobody expected us to win the thing, but that doesn't mean you don't turn up, that you throw the fixture in the way we binned the league off last season. What are we doing this year, concentrating on 2nd and the FA Cup?

Going out in the round of 16 with this team, with this squad, with this wage bill. Making an average, deeply flawed Sevilla look far superior to us. Not even bothering to target their weak points, or to address their strengths. Not attempting to play like a coherent footballing side. It was the 1st half vs Crystal Palace, the full match against Newcastle.

It was an utterly appalling 2 leg performance, is symptomatic of the problems all the 'sky is falling' posters were raising, and is in no way like the 'old days' under SAF because in most cases there it was either naivety, facing a better club or a comparatively isolated poor performance that did for us. At least we had all the league trophies we'd won to cry into, and genuinely exciting football to stop the tears coming.

16. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    We're in the wrong thread, so I'll make this short. We drop out often in the CL, it's always horrendous, we've always been a great team so the teams we lose to are always' "lesser". It is what it is.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Lesser teams like Barca, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, eh? A nonsense post. It's ok to recognise when things are going shit.

19. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i'm surprised you're still trying at this point

JC7rox repped this.
  20. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Look back to the posts after we lost to Barca in Rome and tell me how many Man Utd fans were fine with it.

21. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This will be...interesting.

22. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Strange to have the game so late.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chilly and lightly snowy conditions in the north of England. Not enough to call the game off though.
    The game being played so late on a Saturday is apparently another trial run of sorts for potential prime time Saturday night games that could be introduced in the 2019/20 season in the league, according to MUTV.

24. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wonder how the players will react...considering Mourinho has come out and said to the world that Lukaku, Matic and De Gea aside...his whole squad is trash.

girrdib repped this.
  25. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ohhh. Jose be mad with Pogba and Sanchez. Good.