PBP: FAC - Huddersfield Town AFC vs Manchester United FC - Feb 17, 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    [​IMG] vs [​IMG]

Competition: Football Association Cup
    Venue: John Smith's Stadium
    Time: 17:30 (BST), 12:30 (EST)
    Channels: BT Sport 4K UHD(UK), BT Sport 2(UK), MUTV(UK), Fox Deportes(US), Fox Sports GO(US), Fox Sports 2(US), fuboTV(US), Sportsnet World(Canada), SuperSport 3 Africa (Zambia), SuperSport Select 2 Go (Zambia)

Huddersfield Town injuries: Malone (knock), Stanković (unfit), Kachunga (knee), Williams (hip)
    Manchester United injuries: Bailly (ankle), Blind (knock), Fellaini (knee), Ibrahimović (unfit)

Huddersfield Town last 6: D-L-L-W-W-W
    Manchester United last 6: W-W-W-L-W-L

Huddersfield Town last result: 4-1 home win over Bournemouth (EPL)
    Manchester United last result: 0-1 away loss to Newcastle (EPL)

Last Encounter: 2-0 home win at Old Trafford (Feb 2018)

Huddersfield Town last starting XI (4-4-2):
    Lössl, Hadergjonaj, Jørgensen, Schindler, Malone, Hogg(c), Mooy, Ince, Pritchard, van la Parra, Mounié

Manchester United last starting XI (4-2-3-1):
    de Gea, Valencia(c), Smalling, Jones, Young, Pogba, Matić, Sánchez, Lingard, Martial, Lukaku

=====================
    keep going in this one. can't even really build momentum going into the Sevilla game from this

2. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't have a good feeling about this one, playing away. Mounié has just had himself a game today. Mooy and Ince are more than capable as well. On paper we should have this one, but we all know how that has worked for us this season.

3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If we play the same formation I hope we lose again. And I hope we keep losing until Jose makes a change from what obviously isn’t working.

Deadtigers, jeff070 and United 16 repped this.
  4. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #celebritycoach

5. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Better chance of winning the lotto twice in one week

6. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Must win game to keep our hopes for a trophy and prep for Sevilla.

7. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i thought we looked more dangerous at the end with sanchez as an offensive-minded 10, lukaku as the target man, martial providing width on the left and mata tucking in on the right. copying the spurs system, essentially. i've also had enough of jones and smalling.

-----------lukaku
    martial - sanchez - mata
    -------matic - pogba
    shaw - rojo - lindelof - valencia
    ----------de gea

jeff070 repped this.
  8. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Me too. Time to see Lindelof and Jones together, or Rojo even.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 Ashur, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

While I agree that perhaps a bit too much is made of Pogba's alleged inability of playing in a mid 2, the issue right now is to put him in a position to maximize his (and other players) talents.
    Really don't know why we would need to copy Spurs's setup when we have one we know, for all intents and purposes that works. The team I'd like to see right now, more or less:

Dave
    Valencia. Bailly/Jones. Rojo/Lindelof. Shaw
    Herrera/Fellaini/Lingard Matic. Pogba
    Sanchez. Lukaku/Rashford. Martial

There are plenty of possible variants to this team obviously in terms of personnel, but this is really the formation needs to be looking at. Why he bucks so hard against when it's proved so successful this season, is mind boggling.

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This weekend vs Huddesfield, the team I would go for is as followed:

Romero
    AY. Lindelof. Rojo. Shaw
    Herrera. Carrick. Pogba
    Sanchez. Rashford. Martial

Team selection has been made with the idea of resting and rotating some players, yet still be strong enough to handle Huddersfield. Don't know if Bailly will be ready for this one, but if he is, I'd play him ahead of Rojo to get him some minutes ahead of Sevilla.
    I went with AY in for Valencia as I think he's the best alternative we have in the squad currently. In midfield, if Herrera is still out, then we can play McTominay in his stead. Have no qualms playing him there, especially with Carrick next to him. Carrick starting is also an automatic as it's been said for weeks, with Matic desperately needing to be spared and relieved, even for one game.
    Upfront Lukaku is another one who has played a lot and if Rashford is good to go, I'd play him at CF, saving Lukaku for Sevilla. No matter what though, 4-3-3 is the way to go: that much is clear. Jose needs to accommodate Pogba right now and get him babk to form. That's the quickest way to do so.

11. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda wish this one was a midweek tie just so we can get rid of that Newcastle stink.

topnoevili and jnielsen repped this.
  12. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Smalling must be dropped for this one, although this is exactly the kind of opponent he should be playing against. His dive antics against Newcastle boggle the mind.

If Mourinho can't bring himself to go with a mid 3 then at least go with Carrick and Matic in a 2 and go with Pogba in a more advanced position. The man wants to create and score, not protect Jones and/or Lindelof or whoever.

And FFS if we're going to start Martial can we please deploy him on the left and Sanchez on the right? This is not fukking rocket science, people.

13. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    It's funny that Jones did well with Bailly. It reminds me when Vidic used to get stick when he played without Rio. This is the same thing, Smalling has made a every defender including himself look like shit.

topnoevili and doubletrouble repped this.
  14. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Away at Sevilla four days later. Matic has accumulated a lot of mileage this season so I wouldn't be surprised to see Carrick get the start this weekend. Smalling has to be dropped for Rojo.

And I really hope Jose sorts out how to use Pogba.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The major benefit of the game being played on Saturday is that it obviously gives more time for some of the injured players to get ready.
    Early reports are suggesting that Rashford should be available, while Herrera is still a doubt at this stage. Having those 2 who be a nice boost: with Sevilla and Chelsea coming after that, it's imperative we rotate to keep players fresh.

16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's because they have to cover for him and get pulled out of position. He's garbage and shouldn't be at this club past the summer.

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Jones is a ball follower. He has no sense, positional or otherwise.

18. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    I think he was saying that everyone covers for Smalling because he gets pulled out.

When Smalling plays our defense looks vulnerable. When Jones plays with someone other than Smalling, everything looks right.

I know you wanted Smalling to be the next Rio but he has massively disappointed in his potential when he came from Fulham. 10 million for him at that time was too expensive. I ll take a Michael Keane or Jonny Evans.

19. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I literally saw us give up a goal this season because Jones rushed up out of the center for no reason leaving Smalls isolated. Jones needs to go, keep Smalling.

Only in this place would giving up an OG mean it is the other CB's fault. If it was Smalling you guys would be baying for blood.

20. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    smalling makes me genuinely angry whenever i watch him play. why is he still at united?!

jeff070 repped this.
  21. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If we were forced to keep one in order to lose the other, it clearly has to be keeping Jones and letting Smalling go.

22. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Frustrated with Jones & Smalling, both can have good spells but both have issues. Wouldn't ditch either until we have a replacement and not sure I would ditch either over Rojo or Lindelof who also seem to have issues.

Comparing the two, both have issues passing the ball with Smalling as referenced by Mou having a particular difficulty in this area.

Jones at least will try to affect play, Johno would say (with some justification) it is often because his positioning is poor.

Smalling positioning is better, but he often doesn't do enough - for example not directly at fault for the Spurs first or the Newcastle goal but he got in position to be goal-side of his man but did nothing to stop the ball into the danger area.

In Wizard of Oz terms Smalling needs a heart and courage and Jones needs a brain :)

They still only cost us the odd goal by and large. Our issues are still more in not scoring (eg in part the RWF position) and in not controlling midfield (eg needing a commanding #6/#8). Plus we could do with a young attacking option at right full-back as Valencia isn't getting any younger. These are priorities for me.

jnielsen repped this.
  23. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is a clip from the weekend of Smalling and Jones coming out to play Newcastle offside at St James Park - you can see the similarity ...

[​IMG]

benni... repped this.
  24. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    why are people insisting on playing Pogba when the general concensus is at best he is carrying some small knock and with the CL game a few days after?

jnielsen repped this.
  25. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Would love to see Tahith Chong given a chance given our lack of left-footed options at RWF - in the cup worth at least giving a youngster a chance at a position where there is no squad depth.

jeff070 repped this.