PBP: FAC - chelsea FC vs Manchester United FC - Feb 18, 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Feb 13, 2019.

1. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Missed the match, glad we won at Bridge. Pogs (thumbup)

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This was perhaps the most tactically interesting game I've watched. It was the same diamond, but there was a different deployment.

United's break was different. We used the wide forwards differently than we have in the past. I think the threat of Lingard and Martial gave Rashford space he wasn't allowed yesterday. Lukaku and Mata obviously don't have that kind of explosiveness and Rudiger/Luiz is more athletic than most pairings he would face anyway.

Ole made specific tweaks based on our personnel and based on their characteristics. 1. Pogba and Herrera were given more license to break forward. Herrera was told to get into the box as opposed to shield the backline w/ Matic. 2. Mata was briefed to stop their buildup by haring around disrupting Jorginho and Kante when deep. Mata, Matic and Herrera all did their slightly different briefs well.

Our breaks often utilized the forwards as a stationary outlet who could then bounce it to Mata who instead of running beyond them like Jesse would, would ping a quick pass to an advancing Pogba or Herrera. Given how involved in the final third Chelsea's 8s are, this strategy often caught them unaware and Jorginho's limited athletic ability was exploited.

It worked a treat on our first goal where there were really good contributions from both Matic and Lukaku both doing things that they are criticized for not doing well.

Matic played a quick *early* pass to Lukaku who made it stick (chest) then laid it off to the advancing Matic who played 1st time *again* to Lukaku who found Mata to free Pogba down the left. We don't score that goal with Mou at the helm because of Herrera's run. Even for Ander to get into position to make the run that he did, he had faith that we would play our way out of a tight spot.

Mata was basically playing as an enganche but with the added responsibility to harry during their buildup.

The second goal was an example of a goal that very few players in world football would score (the combination of the take, the pass, the run and a header over a CB with a physical challenge).

I thought Herrera was immense. It almost goes without saying now that he put in an incredible shift and hardly put a foot wrong. His play under OGS has been on another level. He's having a Kante for Leicester type impact the last couple months.

Pogba was very good as well, it seems clear to me that he's bought into Ole's plan. There was one moment when he unsuccessfully chased Kante from a position from which he would usually expend less energy. It was clear he was trying to make up for reduced numbers back in midfield.

There were a few moments when he was dispossessed going forward but I think that's part of the overall risk you take for his ability to carry the ball the way he does.

We were still shaky defending set pieces. I think we need to hire a consultant.

5. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I missed this aspect of your response. Did you watch? Can you give a brief overview of AP in this game?

6. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    BTW @johno before I read all that sh1t, is all that your analysis or are you peddling someone else stuff as your novel idea?

:D

:p

Futbol_Head and johno repped this.
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #157 Ashur, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    AP came on for Mata and played virtually the same role he did in his short cameo. The way Mata played yesterday (he tried but it's not going to be enough against an oppo like Pool for instance), I would be curious to see AP given an actual shot there.
    As stated before, this is probably his most natural and best position despite the fact that he's very versatile. He's 3rd choice there at best after Lingard and Mata, but I feel he easily could be #2, for reasons previously mentioned. In theory at least, he just appears to be a better fit to the style we play under Ole over Mata, who is too slow and ponderous.

J'can repped this.
  8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He replaced Mata as the 10. By the time he came in, it was close out the game situation so he worked hard and didnt take many risk.

Did okay.

J'can repped this.
  9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Short of Lindelof, Herrera, DDG, Rashford and Pogba all playing blinders, I don't think we are going to do well against Pool. We lack the bodies, the recovery time and the key personnel. Even with our best XI it would have been a very difficult ask.

I'm not saying a win is impossible, but even on the back of our good wins on this run, there's nothing to suggest that we are equipped to deal with Liverpool if they are playing well.

I do like Shaw against Salah though if he's played out there.

10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Honestly, Mane worries me more right now than Salah. Salah has look casual a lot of times this season. Maybe last year's success and gone to his head, not sure. But Mane, while less talented, can be more of a driving force for them.

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Salah has 7 assists in the league and is their top scorer. Mane is a weapon for sure, but I'm worried about Firmino getting space, Salah in general and Shaquiri - particularly off the bench.

12. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Firmino is a doubt with a virus this week. he might not make it midweek or this weekend

13. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He has traveled with the team today so yeah might be a tough aak for him.

14. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Herrera reminded me of his days at Bilbao and Zaragoza, late runs in the box. He scored a ton of goals like that.

SyedZada and johno repped this.
  15. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Matic left out of the Liverpool game.

16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i would given no one else has been trusted to deputise up until now. resigned to it for the rest of 18/19 at least

jnielsen and Anonymous_United repped this.
  17. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I understand that argument, but I can't help but think Ole sees how mobile we need the team to be to beat Liverpool. With the mobility of their front 3, Wijnaldum, & Kieta I think he'll see our need for movement. Just a gut feeling really.

18. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Well leaving matic out has some sweet ring to it but in reality we cant afford to drop him and try someone else.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen repped this.
  20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    agreed. i think he would but he will also consider someone like Fred that can motor about will not be match sharp possibly not even match fit.

he also likely won't be in tune with the team's rhythm as the last time he played any real minutes we were still afflicted by the plague.

i think that tips it the other way. i would be glad to be proven wrong and have it pay off though

Chaz Striker repped this.
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I get the matic effect but can't see him not playing especially with lingard and martial out. HellH play even though we don't want him to.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #173 Ashur, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Matic will play (unless he picks up some injury between now and Sunday). And honestly we better hope he does: not because we back him, but simply because under the circumstances a midfield 3 of him, Herrera and Pogba are the best one we have.
    We've covered how Herrera could play in his position, but a) do we want to move him from where he's been so productive as of late and b) we're looking at bringing in either Fred, AP or even McTominay to replace Herrera at the 8 and everyone knows that at this time, with all of them having seen limited time as of late, we're in the hope/blind faith realm, as to whether they are ready to perform. And that will not cut it vs Pool, particularly with other vital players missing.
    Matic is not the optimal option and as it's been said ad nauseum by now, we need an upgrade this summer. But for the remainder of this seaon (and until someone else actually steps up), Matic plays. It's simple really...

Edit: And the fact that Ole did not yank him when he was riding the yellow tightrope, in no way is some clue he was fine with him possibly getting a red either, because he did not plan on playing him Sunday vs Pool. Ole took a gamble because he's a risk taker. It was a pretty big and dangerous one, but it paid off in the end.

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Matic can start every fixture from now till the end of the season. How could he get tired? He never ********ing sprints. He doesn't even 'think' fast.

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States