PBP: FAC - chelsea FC vs Manchester United FC - Feb 18, 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    [​IMG] vs [​IMG]

Competition: Football Association Cup
    Venue: Stamford Bridge
    Time: 19:30 (BST), 14:30 (EST)

Channels: BBC One(UK), MUTV(UK), ESPN+(US), Sportsnet World(Canada), Sportsnet East/West/Ontario/Pacific(Canada), SuperSport 5 Africa (Zambia)

chelsea injuries: Cahill (back), Hudson-Odoi (illness)
    Manchester United injuries: Rojo (knock), Lingard (hamstring), Martial (muscle)

chelsea last 6: L-W-W-L-W-L
    Manchester United last 6: W-W-D-W-W-L

chelsea last result: 6-0 away loss to man city (EPL)
    Manchester United last result: 0-2 home defeat to PSG (UCL)

Last Encounter: 2-2 away draw at Stamford Bridge (Oct 2018)

chelsea last starting XI (4-3-3):
    Arrizabalaga, Azpilicueta(c), Rüdiger, Luiz, Alonso, Barkley, Jorginho, Kanté, Pedro, Hazard, Higuaín

Manchester United last starting XI (4-3-3):
    de Gea, Young(c), Lindelöf, Bailly, Shaw, Herrera, Pogba, Matić, Lingard, Rashford, Martial

=====================
    please win. don't think i can take losing to another shit petro club. even if away.

let's see how resilient we are

jnielsen repped this.
  2. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Time to give Chong minutes..

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Early shout for Monday's team:
    --------------Romero
    Dalot Smalling Lindelöf Shaw
    ---------------Matic
    --------Herrera Pogba
    ----------------AP
    -------Lukaku Rashford

Subs: Grant, Darmian, Jones, Fred, Mata, Greenwood, Chong

This is obviously going on the assumption that neither Lingard or Martial will be available for this one (the reports so far indicate they're serious doubts at this time). Not sure yet on Sanchez's status, but even if he was fit, he'd be on the bench at best.
    Given the personnel on hand, with no one really able to competently fill in on the right, my thought is to switch to a 4-4-2. Mata may seem like the obvious pick to play in the hole in support of the front 2, but my preference would be to give AP the shot here.
    He is a versatile player, but this is the position that probably suits him the best. He's an intelligent, highly creative player who is mobile and his pretty quick (both mentally and with his feet as well). Those are qualities that make him a better choice in Ole's system and style of play than Mata would be in almost every way.
    I get that he tanked badly the last couple of times he was given an opportunity to start, but I want to see what he can do in this specific role. And given our current situation, it's as good a time as any. The rest of the picks are pretty straightforward for me: only question is in central defence. If Ole wants to stick with Lindelöf and Bailly, that's fine by me, but all the same I have no issue with Smalling getting a run now that he's fit.
    As mentioned before, I have 2 youngsters on the bench for this one and would have no qualms throwing one of them (even both really) in the deep end if it was required in the 2nd half. Wouldn't mind seeing what their youthful exuberance can do against a tired backline in the 2nd period (against some poor defenders as well truth be told).

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

jnielsen and Futbol_Head repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As noted previously, Ole at least is saying all the right things following United's defeat vs PSG. The next few weeks will show if all that translates to on the pitch performances and results.

6. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Quoting because one rep isn't enough. Only thing is maybe give Matic a break and start McT or give Herrera

7. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wouldn't play ap there. If that is how we line up why not play mata in ap place? Think he would be more suited for that role in that set up, no?

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We might have to rotate in midfield, but the thing is whoever Sarri decides to go with in his midfield will be guys pretty mobile and energetic guys. And it's something we have to match.
    This would be a great game for Fred to play in: we simply do not know where he's at currently in terms of being ready to contribute. If he was, I'd play him, along with Herrera at the 6 and Pogs (initially at least).
    AP, as stated above, is simply quicker and more mobile than Mata which is key in the way Ole has the team play. Because of that, as much as I like Mata, he's just not the right fit with this team and it's possible his time could be up. AP is a risk considering how he's played of late, but this is his most natural position and would love to see what he can offer in that role for us.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The traveling squad for tomorrow's game:
    De Gea, Romero, Grant, Dalot, AY, Smalling, Shaw, Lindelof, Bailly, Matic, AP, McTominay, Fred, Pogba, Herrera, Lukaku, Chong, Rashford, Sanchez, Mata.

Gomes didn't make the cut unfortunately and neither did Jones (which is a relief).

10. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Any reason why Gomes isnt incuded apart from tactical ?

11. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    6 attackers would be too much. my guess is Ole doesn't expect to make three attacking subs so 5 into 3 spots is enough for him

12. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm having a hard time believing the Sanchez injury report so I'm going with this;

De Gea
    Young Lindelof Smalling Shaw
    Herrera Matic Pogba
    Lukaku Rashford Sanchez

It's the FA Cup and it's Chelsea. This is no time for a weakened side with players like Fred. Maybe just maybe Pereira on the right for Herrera but I can't' see that happening. And I don't see Ole letting Pereira sit deep against a squad like Chelsea, even if they are in poor form right now.

Another interesting option, though I don't see Ole going for this either, is Sanchez as a false nine. Our in-form players are Rashford and Pogba (and Lindelof too) and you have to play to their strengths. Marcus up top, Alexis doing what he can from the left, with Pogba directing traffic.

I don't think we've seen Lukaku start on the right but he's looked half decent there even when in overall poor form. If he embraces the responsibilities of the role he could be pretty effective. We'll see.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  15. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    433 or 442 diamond? As I suspected mata plays just hope that he is a ten behind Rom and Rash.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea XI: Kepa, Azpilicueta, David Luiz, Rudiger, Alonso, Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, Pdero, Hazard, HIguain

17. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    There is basically no difference between the two with us. Wether its Jesse or Mata they will always vacate the flank and leave the RB to push up.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 Ashur, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Here's hoping Alonso does not hurt us too much today. We're missing the boat/opportunity on 2 different facets. First, the guy is shit defensively and we're giving him virtually a free ride there, with AY as the only threat on that flank.
    Then, and more worrying, we're giving a wide berth to operate and bomb down the flank and be a factor down the left for Chelsea offensively. Mata is not going to stop or even track him and AY will already have his hands full, potentially giving Chelsea plenty of joy on that side.

jnielsen repped this.
  19. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Ole puts a lineup that signals wanting a bounce back win, however if we do not I expect more changes at the back and in the middle.

20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Sánchez and Herrera on BBC one goofing off with Balague. casual interview that is.

of course no english from Sánchez... struggles on the field and off it

21. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    We also have no attacking options on the bench.

22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm listening to this game. I'm unwilling to pay more than I currently am for entertainment but even if I wanted to see every United game live I'd have to pay for TNT's thing and ESPN+ and NBC Gold. That's ludicrous. Damn nonsense.

llcc and jnielsen repped this.
  23. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Something is jacked with ESPN+ today.

24. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Matić gets caught so flat footed at times...

benni... repped this.
  25. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Only 6 minutes in and Matic has already passed the ball tot he other team, and then stood on the ball and got pick pocketed.