Fabioulios Fabio Coentrao no ? just! Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by JoseEmidio, Apr 13, 2010.

1. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Fábio Alexandre da Silva Coentrão (born 11 March 1988 in Vila do Conde) is a Portuguese footballer who currently plays for Sport Lisboa e Benfica, either as a left back or left winger.

Coentrão joined hometown Rio Ave FC in 2004–05, playing three first division games in the following season for a northern side that would be relegated. In 2006–07, he established himself as first-choice, as Rio Ave barely missed promotion back and had a good run in the Cup of Portugal, ended by Sporting Clube de Portugal with a 2–1 win in Lisbon, with Coentrão scoring Rio Ave's goal, from 30 metres out. Coentrão was given the nickname "Figo das Caxinas" when he played for Rio Ave.
    After that season in the second division, many clubs showed interest in him, most notably Sporting, Sport Lisboa e Benfica, Real Madrid, Manchester United and Chelsea, with Coentrão choosing the Encarnados (reds) on July 2007. His playing style was likened to that of Arjen Robben by World Soccer Magazine in their 50 World Talents 2007 issue.
    On 1 January 2008, having received insignificant playing opportunities at Benfica, Coentrão joined Madeira's C.D. Nacional, loaned until the season's end. On 3 May, he scored twice in a 3–0 away success against already crowned league champions FC Porto.
    Coentrão came close to signing with Eredivisie giants Feyenoord during the 2008 off-season, with reports of a one-year loan deal being announced on the Internet.[1] However, two days later, he joined Real Zaragoza, freshly relegated into Spain's second level.[2] However, after almost no appearances during the campaign, Coentrão returned to Portugal and Rio Ave in January 2009, still owned by Benfica. On 15 February, he scored after an individual effort, albeit in a 1–3 loss at Porto.
    On 2 December 2009, having played some matches for Benfica as a left defender, Coentrão scored his first goal in European competition, against FC BATE in a 2–1 away win.
    [edit] International career

An international for Portugal at youth level,[3] Coentrão was voted MVP in the 2007 Madeira Cup, where he was also the top goalscorer. Subsequently, he represented the nation in the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup and, also during that year, made his U-21 debuts.
    After consistent performances at Benfica, although he started rarely in the early 2009–10, Coentrão earned his first senior call-up in November 2009, for the decisive 2010 World Cup qualification playoffs, against Bosnia and Herzegovina, and made his debut in the first leg on the 14th, at the Estádio da Luz, playing the second half of the 1–0 win.
    Fabio is Master

2. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Re: Fabioulios Fabio Coentrao no ? just!

Fuvk it He is my favourite since Couto. Passion,Flair, Hard Working, Good Possession... too much to name (besides I am drunk!!!)

3. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

LB for Portugal, seriously what is the competition, Veloso ( I really like him, but) he would get turned by a snail in slow mo.Duda, good enough going forward, FC is miles better in defense, Ferreira (skip, HE IS REALLY OK! not!!!!!!!!!!) and J. Pereira, PLUS HIS INTIANTIALS IS FC pure luck? i THINK NOT!)

4. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

my new favorite player too! gotta love this guy. just loves to play soccer. can't wait for him to get some national team recognition

5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto

Who? :D

6. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fabi-loso

7. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto

I'm not sold on Fabi-loso but I'm biased because i hated his guts when he was in Toronto for the Youth World Cup back in 2007. I thought he was a real douche but I haven't been watching many Benfica games this season and it sounds like he is really having a great season.

He looks kinda of small, don't know how he could handle some tough players. Maybe he has the Joao (i'm gonna knock you out) Pinto syndrome :D

8. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To be honest, I didn't think much of Fabi-loso at that tournament as well. A douche is actually the best way to describe my feelings towards him at that moment.

However, he's matured and become a hell of a soccer player since then. He's my new favorite player, and hopefully will be for years to come

9. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Did we watch the same tournament? I thought he played really well on the wing, at least in the NZ game... (then again, who DIDN'T play well in that game!?)

10. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Was all over Sougou today. Great defense to attack in the build up to Martins hitting the post and nice through ball for Di Maria to do his stuff and set up a class finish by Amorim.

11. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Looks like Coentrao is heading to Spain with Mourinho and company. Di Marid has just been confirmed.

What he said.... Coentrao:"Real Madrid e o melhor clube do Mundo"‎

12. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Are you sold now?

:D

13. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If he does go to Real it would be a HECK of a year from another youth prospect going nowhere to going from left wing to left back , getting a call to the NT then going to the world cup, getting married going to be a father and then going to Real after hopefully a fantastic world cup. Thats a great year!!!!!

14. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto

I know he's good but it was Cabo Verde man :D My house league team would probably only lose 2-0 to them. ;)

15. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think its a bit too fast to go to real madrid to be honest. He needs one more year at least at Benfica.

16. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes I want him to stay and Benfica to have the same team with the new additions with only Di Maria going. But maybe one other player would be sold and if there had to be another sold then maybe Ramires is the one which I would be least disappointed about.

17. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

True, but FC has shown improvement this season. People forget he has 6 goals for the U21 NT and will only get better.

18. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
  19. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I believe when I see it.

20. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Welcome to the greatest club, Sporting CP.

SCP_16 repped this.
  21. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Wow, who would of thought Fabio at SCP, totally have no recollection of starting this thread.

22. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    And they said the knees were the first to go . . . :)

23. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I remember there was a supposed interest from Bayern, what might have been. Struggling now after all the injuries, Marcelo being the undisputed starter and loan spells at Monaco and now SCP and has not played for the Selecção in over a year, I think that is part of the reason he choose SCP as he wants to get into the squad for Russia 2018, injuries has been his biggest downfall though.

24. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Nani made the most of his loan spell at Sporting. His turn now.

eurodad and JoseEmidio repped this.
  25. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Will be strange come the Derby, hopefully he has a cracking season and stays healthy so that he can make WC 2018, though it will be a risk because of his glass legs.

eurodad repped this.